Hi, I'm new......2 months post op

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi, I'm new......2 months post op

I am 2 months post op. I had sagittal imbalance correction by insertion of a hyperlordotic cage at L5/S1 level followed by posterior fixation to the pelvis 3 days later.

I had a bit of a setback last week and was back in hospital for 3 days. After scans and xrays showing my metalwork was still in the correct position the doctors think my piriformis muscle had gone into spasm and trapping my sciatic nerve.

I have had 4 more flare ups since but not as acute as the first one. I'm hoping this is temporary......anyone else experienced this?
    Juvenile Idiopathic Scoliosis diagnosed aged 6/7
    Milwaukee brace 1980 - 1984, Fused T2 - L3 with Harrington Rod 1984, 10 rib costoplasty 1999, artificial disc at L3/L4 2003, extended fusion to L5 2006.
    2015 - Sagittal plane imbalance correction by insertion of 30 degree hyperlordotic cage at L5/S1 level (anterior approach) with fixation to pelvis (posterior approach) now fused T2 to sacrum.
    2017 - October - SI joint fusion - left side
    2017 - December - Revision of failed left SI joint fusion

Hi...

I had sciatica when I was recovering from my first scoliosis surgeries years ago. My surgeon told me to cut back on the amount of time I spent sitting. The pain went away, but I don't know whether it was the sitting thing, or that the problem resolved on its own.

Good luck.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thanks Linda, I suppose my body must be adjustimg to its new tilted back position and will hopefully ease up.
      Milwaukee brace 1980 - 1984, Fused T2 - L3 with Harrington Rod 1984, 10 rib costoplasty 1999, artificial disc at L3/L4 2003, extended fusion to L5 2006.
      2015 - Sagittal plane imbalance correction by insertion of 30 degree hyperlordotic cage at L5/S1 level (anterior approach) with fixation to pelvis (posterior approach) now fused T2 to sacrum.

Comment

Hi...

Just noticed your signature. Do you still have your artificial disc, or did they replace it with a fusion when they last extended your fusion?

--Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

The surgeon left it in (although it was not doing anything) as apparently its difficult to remove.

Comment

Oh, and it has been fused in as part of a long fusion.

Comment

Hi, I am about 9 wks post-op what sounds like a rather similar revision for broken rods, although mine was done in one stage (Sept 23rd). I am also having trouble with left buttocks pain that radiates down the left leg to the foot. My leg pain is a burning ache that can get worse with sitting. A few days ago I walked about 15 minutes longer than what I have been doing, not to mention not being able to rest my back enough over Thanksgiving holiday. It has been worse since then, so your post really caught my eye.

You mention you've had several episodes of this trouble. I'm curious if you found anything to help it or what treatment you were given. I am trying alternating heat and ice, and trying to lay down more than sit.

Hang in there and I hope you find relief soon.
              Last edited by leahdragonfly; 11-29-2015, 11:55 PM.
              Gayle, age 50
              Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
              Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
              Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
              2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
              2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Hi Leahdragonfly

I had another flare up today whilst out on a walk and had to call my husband to take me home in his car!! My walking just doesn't seem to be improving......it seems like I am sort of dragging my right leg along now and when my 'thing' flares up it hurts deep in my buttock to lift my leg or move it from the side/back to be able to walk. It affects me most mornings when I get out of bed now. I have been given specific stretches for the piriformis muscle and referred for physio sessions (although this could take awhile to get an appointment with the UK NHS!). I am also seeing my surgeon next Tuesday so I will tell him about the flare ups. I really do hope this is temporary.......

How are you doing with your recovery apart from the left leg pain?

Comment

Working...
                X