Proximal Junctional Kyphosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proximal Junctional Kyphosis

My surgeon just diagnosed me with thoracic Junctional Kyphosis. I don't really understand this as I am fused from T2-L3 and it was my understanding that this only occurred above or below a fusion. Also, he is concerned that my increasing thoracic pain is from a possible non-fusion. I wonder how this can be as I've been fused for thirty years. Can you become unfused after all this time? We are now deciding whether to redo my entire fusion instead of just L3 to Sacrum. What a mess. I've had a hardware removal and do not want metal back in my thoracic spine because it felt so awful. It is my understanding that many of us suffer from thoracic aching and burning, so I do question whether straightening out my spine and putting in new hardware will help with the thoracic pain.
    1st surgery: Fused T1-L3 in 1987 with contoured Harrington Rods. Rods broke at top.
    2nd surgery: Re-done two weeks later; fused C7-L3. Left in chronic pain.
    3rd surgery: Hardware removal 1997, but still pain for 30 years.
    4th Surgery: Fused to the sacrum in 2016. Came out of surgery with left foot paralysis. (Drop Foot) Can't walk on my own.
    I'm blessed to have found my peace and reason to live not from a husband or kids (I have none) but from God and within myself.
Working...
X