Thread: Scoliosis and fatigue

Scoliosis and fatigue

Hey, all!
    Look, I was wondering if fatigue is common occurence with scoliosis? I attend some language courses and I must carry 2 books. Overall it feels like a burden. And sometimes I feel like I'm about to fall. Probably I have quite bad balance issues. To give you a scale, one of those books is probably smth like half a kilo I think. 7 years ago I could carry way more than that...
    Attachment 1493 Coronal plane
    Attachment 1494 Sagittal plane

Quote Originally Posted by Delta107 View Post
    I was wondering if fatigue is common occurence with scoliosis?
    Yes and no. I would say its common. There are many reasons why fatigue happens....in fact, the list doesn’t seem to end....Go ahead and look it up.

I struggled with fatigue after my surgeries for some reason, for many reasons, don’t really know why, and now at my age its hard to decipher with the ageing process.....

When I was younger while carrying items, I would try to transfer the weight back and forth from left to right and so forth. Two books, one in each hand balances out the weight. A backpack will help out. Many of us do have balance issues.

Your English is good!

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 58, the new 53...
    Pre surgery curves C12,T70,L70
    ALIF/PLIF T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Delta...

Your curve is fairly large, so it could have something to do with your pulmonary function. I know it may feel like sort of giving in to your disability, but a rolling backpack would probably be helpful.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Dilbert
    I'm sarcastic... what's your super power? --Unknown
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you've signed up and are having trouble posting, please check your spam folder. An email was sent to the email address which you subscribed. You have to follow the instructions in that email. Done that and still having trouble posting? Contact Joe O'Brien at jpobrien@scoliosis.org.

I also found that struggling with. balance can wear you out.
    T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
    Fractured t-9 six days out of surgery
    C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
    PJK at t-9
    T2--T10 fusion 2/11
    Removal of left side t6-t10. 8/14
    C 4-5 fusion 11/14
    Right scapulectomy 6/15
    Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
    To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16

Hi Delta! I don't know if this suggestion would help you or not, but thought I'd throw it out there in case. I used one of these for about six years at my job at a school, and had my passenger van seat out of the way and it would go in that spot. Or it could go on the seat. I would put my bag/purse/school stuff in it and then when I got to school I could just ease it down to the ground ok (fairly durable) and wheel it across the parking lot and sidewalk and to my office. Then while sitting down I could easily take the items out. The crate collapses to practically nothing and can hold a ton-- you can read the product details. Best wishes, as I know how frustrating that is. I remember how disappointed I was when I could no longer take a 9x13 glass pan with dessert to work because it was too heavy...

http://www.staples.com/Staples-Expan...product_440122

PS- other companies make these, I'm sure. This is just what I had. (smile)

Went to amazon and found these others: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...e+%2Caps%2C207
    Last edited by Susie*Bee; 11-12-2015 at 08:37 AM.
    66 and still heartbroken...
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior spinal fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    2014 DXd w/CMT (type 2)

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Thank you for your replies!
    Attachment 1493 Coronal plane
    Attachment 1494 Sagittal plane