Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 Year for Peggy!

Hi Friends!

I had my 1 year check-up with Dr. Buchowski in St. Louis last week. All is well: hardware is in place & there's evidence on the X-rays that bone is beginning to fuse. I was surprised when he cautioned me about rod breakage over a 5 year period - yikes - I thought it was 2 years!

I'll be starting some intensive PT this week, so I can begin to bend - at least a little - no toe touches! I think it's going to involve lots of stretching. I sure hope I'll be able to tie my own shoes someday!

My back pain is gone & I can take 3+ mile walks (longest was 5 miles). If I have pain, it's in my neck where I have degenerating discs. My fusion is T3 - S1. I'm wondering if I'll be able to kneel AND sit back on my feet, in order to organize my closet floor, etc. I tried it once & it wasn't comfortable.

It's been a long, challenging year, but I'm SO happy with my results! This forum really helped me prepare - I'm grateful I found it. Thank you all, for your support!
    Peg
    61 yrs old
    75 degree lumbar curve with thoracic kyphosis
    T3 - S1 surgery with Dr. Buchowski in St. Louis, on 10/27/14
    Working on healing in Columbus, Ohio!

Congratulations Peg on the one year mark and the great report! I had lots of improvement in the second year, and you may find that the case too.

Good luck as you start a few new motions!
    Gayle, age 50
    Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
    Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
    Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
    2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
    2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Peggy,
      Congratulations on your one year anniversary. It is definitely a milestone. I know that I continued to improve the second year and hope that you will, as well.
      Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
      Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
      70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
      Rib Hump-GONE!
      Age-60 at the time of surgery
      Now 66
      Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
      Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
      Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
      Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
      tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
      http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Peggy, good to hear that you are doing well. I read your posts for months and helped me prepare for my surgery, now 8 months post-op. Loretta
        39 years old, 2 children, suffering from scoliosis since the age of 12.
        Lumbar curve 55 degrees, 4 herniated disks and 2 small fractures - after surgery only 20 degree curve - Fusion T10-L4
        Surgery on 4/21/15 with Dr. Gjolaj @ (UM) Jackson Memorial Hospital, Miami, FL

Comment

Thank you, Loretta! I'm glad to hear you're 8 months post-op - congrats!
          Peg
          61 yrs old
          75 degree lumbar curve with thoracic kyphosis
          T3 - S1 surgery with Dr. Buchowski in St. Louis, on 10/27/14
          Working on healing in Columbus, Ohio!

Comment

Congratulations on a good year of recovery. I hope that you gain some flexibility with your PT.

I broke my thoracic and then lumbar rods between 1.5-2 years postop due to a slow growing infection on the hardware. I hope that you can avoid the infection consequences and continue to heal.

The best for the new year!
            Susan
            Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
            2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
            2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
            2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
            2018: Removal L4,5 screw
            2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Working...
            X