Plantar fascitis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plantar fascitis

In addition to the bone on bone arthritis in both knees, I've now come down with painful Plantar Fascitis in the soles of both feet. Another late in life condition which the docs are saying is caused from the Scoliosis surgery and my resulting Flatback, which is of course also caused by the Scoliosis surgery. I just can't seem to catch a break.

thank you,
    T1
    1st surgery: Fused T1-L3 in 1987 with contoured Harrington Rods. Rods broke at top.
    2nd surgery: Re-done two weeks later; fused C7-L3. Left in chronic pain.
    3rd surgery: Hardware removal 1997, but still pain for 30 years.
    4th Surgery: Fused to the sacrum in 2016. Came out of surgery with left foot paralysis. (Drop Foot) Can't walk on my own.
    I'm blessed to have found my peace and reason to live not from a husband or kids (I have none) but from God and within myself.

I can not believe they are linking the Plantar Fasciitis to the scoliosis surgery. I see at least 30 cases a week that are diagnosed as plantar fasciitis and not one of them has had scoliosis surgery. Here are some tricks for you: Stretch twice daily, put a wine bottle in the freezer and roll your heel on it twice a day, go on amazon and buy an adjustable night splint and wear it when sleeping, invest in a good set of heel cups, and most of all rest your foot as much as possible. Overworking this area can cause it to stay inflamed.

Hope you get to feeling better,
    Tamena
    Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

Hello and thanks for the exercise tips! I really appreciate it. Do you work in a podiatrist office? I went to a physical therapy appointment and got some more exercises, and also got both feet injected and that has really helped. I will try the wine bottle thing, did not know about that one.

Remember the old song: "The thigh bone is connected to the......hip bone...hip bone is connected to the...backbone...

Everything's connected, according to the doctors. Having Scoliosis flatback makes me stand differently, and it's taking its toll on my knees and feet.
      1st surgery: Fused T1-L3 in 1987 with contoured Harrington Rods. Rods broke at top.
      4th Surgery: Fused to the sacrum in 2016. Came out of surgery with left foot paralysis. (Drop Foot) Can't walk on my own.
      I'm blessed to have found my peace and reason to live not from a husband or kids (I have none) but from God and within myself.

Comment

I do work in a Podiatry office. All feet all day, lol! The injections will help and you can have up to four of them in a years time. Glad it has helped some. Just take it easy and give it time to rest.

Tamena
        Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

Saw two more podiatrists this week, one of them older and very experienced. I was told to walk and they said that I am walking with my toes gripping the floor in an effort to stand up straight. He told me the fact that my spine had been fused had affected the way I walk. He gave me temporary padding/orthotics for my shoes but said that he wanted to wait until I'm fused to the sacrum before he gives me the full orthotics as I will walk even more differently then. If I had known when I was younger that my Scoliosis surgery would cause arthritis in both knees (this according to the knee surgeon) and also painful plantar condition in both feet I would NEVER have had the surgery. There isn't a bone on my body that doesn't hurt.

Comment

Tableone,
            You know I had flatback syndrome for three years before it was fixed( I now am getting it again) .
            But what you said about your feet is so true. We grip the floor trying to balance ourselves and stand up straight. It's terrible hard on , not only the feet, but other parts of the body ( inside and out). I do wish you luck with whoever is fixing your flatback. I know that it's very important to reinforce through the front( anterior). I broke two rods and am starting to bend a little bit. My neck is shot too! I know how you feel.
            Oh, I need foot surgery from super size bunions. So Best wishes to you !!! Linda
            Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
            Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
            This started adult onset scoliosis
            July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
            Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
            Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
            May 30th 2013 revision
            May 8th cervicle surgery 2016
            May 31st Dr. Gupta revision 2017

Comment

Hi T1,

I feel your pain with plantar fasciitis. It is so miserably painful…I work at a job where I am on my feet almost all day, so it's particularly bad when it flares up. Mine set in about 3 years prior to having fusion, first only in one foot, then spread to both. It has improved quite a bit but is not gone completely. I need to start doing some more foot exercises I think.

Good luck with everything, and I really hope the injections and exercises help you.
              Gayle, age 50
              Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
              Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
              Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
              2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
              2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Working...
              X