Scared but scheduled for T4-pelvis Fusion Oct 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heating pads

As I am beginning to wean down from my medication, I am experiencing a little more pain. I was wondering if heating pads are OK to use, especially over the incision site? I have already been using ice packs. Yesterday was 3 weeks. Does anyone know?
    3/8/16 Dr. Lenke, NY Presbyterian The Allen Hospital
    PSSIF T4-SACRUM/ILIUM, TLIF L5-S1

Comment

• I think it is ok but I will caution you to be very careful. There are areas of the skin that do not have feelings. I was able to burn myself severely enough to need medical attention due to infection. Your surgery is so new that it may not be worth the risk. Warm showers are ok. Keep walking it does get better.
      T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
      C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
      T2--T10 fusion 2/11
      C 4-5 fusion 11/14
      Right scapulectomy 6/15
      Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
      To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
      Broken neck 9/28/2018
      Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
      Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
      Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
      Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
      Osteotomy

Comment

• Nancy,
        I am glad you are doing so well. I also felt better walking than sitting. It eventually got better, however, I had tailbone pain for a long time. Keeping track of your steps is a good way to stay motivated. I also found a few ladies to walk with so that made it so much more fun.
        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
        Rib Hump-GONE!
        Age-60 at the time of surgery
        Now 66
        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

• Jackieg, I agree. Better safe than sorry!! I guess I'll just stick with hot showers.

Karen, thankfully I've had lots of people volunteer to walk with me. It definitely makes the steps go more quickly!!

Comment

• Heating pads

Originally posted by Mom of 4 View Post
            Jackieg, I agree. Better safe than sorry!! I guess I'll just stick with hot showers.

Karen, thankfully I've had lots of people volunteer to walk with me. It definitely makes the steps go more quickly!!
            I started using heat about three weeks, on medium setting. It helped me a LOT I was still laying flat. Didn't sit for months. I use the heat and tilted the hospital bed up to watch Game of Thrones!
            Cathy
            2 sons, one Syracuse University graduate (working for the Mets now), one college sophomore, one great husband and two fabulous cats
            54 years old March 5
            AIS 45 degrees Thoracic at 14, Milwaukee brace for one year in 1977 then in 2012 I found Dr. Baron Lonner ❤️
            Surgery April 8 2015
            Presurgical curves T77 L66
            Post surgical T27 L22
            Fused T3-S1 pelvic fixation, osteotomies and all the other stuff but you know what? It's done...

Comment

• I'm pregnant?!?!!!

Can anyone tell me why I left the hospital looking 6 months pregnant??? I have a very small frame, but my stomach is protruding like I'm pregnant. I don't like it...

Comment

• Oh yes I remember that look. It was the same for me. Even when I was pregnant I was never very big( except with my twins). I think it is the curve the rods created. Since it wasn't there before surgery we are not used to the bigger stomach look. I think through time it gets better but. Some of the look is here to stay. There is only so far you can pull the stomach muscle in. But it does seem to get a little better.
                T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                Right scapulectomy 6/15
                Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
                To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
                Broken neck 9/28/2018
                Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
                Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
                Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
                Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
                Osteotomy

Comment

• Originally posted by jackieg412 View Post
                  Oh yes I remember that look. It was the same for me. Even when I was pregnant I was never very big( except with my twins). I think it is the curve the rods created. Since it wasn't there before surgery we are not used to the bigger stomach look. I think through time it gets better but. Some of the look is here to stay. There is only so far you can pull the stomach muscle in. But it does seem to get a little better.
                  Oh no...that's not the answer I was hoping for!!!

Comment

• Another, possibility which is not very inviting is the possibility of a ventral or incisional hernia. I had one after my first ALIF. When I first noticed it, I sent a note to my surgeon who said, "That happens often after an ALIF, just give it time and it will go away". I knew that it was a hernia because when I laid down on my back and took a deep breath and then pushed down without exhaling and my "pouch" blew up.
                    I had an ?xray done or ultrasound or something and it showed that I had a complete separation of the internal incision. So, I had surgery to repair the hernia.
                    And that's the way it was,
                    Susan
                    Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
                    2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
                    2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
                    2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
                    2018: Removal L4,5 screw
                    2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

• As others have mentioned, it can be prominence on increased lumbar lordosis or an incisional hernia, though both are relatively rare. The most common reason is a build up of fluid and/or a build up of waste. Hopefully it's one of the less permanent issues.

--Linda
                      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

• I had that horrible big-belly look post-op too. It takes awhile but it does improve over time. One thing you can do is lay on the bed and focus on sucking your belly button down towards your spine. This helps the abdominal muscles wake up and remember what to do.
                        Gayle, age 50
                        Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
                        Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
                        Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
                        2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
                        2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

• Thank you!!!

Once again, thank you all for your kind responses! I really appreciate everyone who has shared their experiences. As for me, I guess time will tell...

Comment

• Momx4, much of what will eventually resolve post op takes patience. This advice comes from a person whose mantra is "Patience, my ass, I 'm going to kill something". While I believe that one needs to be vigilant about the advent of serious problems, most issues, pain, spasms, etc resolve by 1-2 years.

I usually say that it just takes time for everything to "settle out".

Wishing you patience and a smaller tummy,
                            Susan
                            Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
                            2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
                            2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
                            2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
                            2018: Removal L4,5 screw
                            2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

• I too had the abdominal swelling. My surgery was posterior only.

In addition to abdominal swelling I had abdominal muscle atrophy on the left side, which may or may not have been related to fusion, so that added to the pregnant/jelly belly look. I was actually lopsided because of the muscle atrophy. Atrophy is mostly resolved but still not fully caught up to my non-atrophied side.

The excess puffiness made it so I did not find any of my then existing underwear comfortable so I eventually found ones that I really liked. (Boybrief cut by Aerie, which I think is the undergarment division of Aeropastale. I don't shop there otherwise). Now it's all I want to wear. They are incredibly comfortable.

I didn't use heating pads over my incision but did sit on my shower stool, hot water running down my back multiple times a day. It's a good thing I don't have to pay for heating or water.
                              30 something y.o.

2003 - T45, L???
                              2005 - T50, L31
                              bunch of measurements between...

2011 - T60, L32
                              2013 - T68, L?

Posterior Fusion Sept 2014 -- T3 - L3
                              Post - op curve ~35

Comment

• 5 weeks today!!!

So...I'm 5 weeks out of surgery. I had a very productive day, probably the best one yet! My concern is...how do I know if I'm doing too much? I'm trying not to bend, lift or twist. Is squatting ok? I read somewhere that it wasn't ok because it puts too much stress on the lower back. Obviously, I don't want to hinder my progress after making it this far. I must admit that I am a little stubborn. I avoid the assistive devices as much as I can. The grabbers, unfortunately are an unavoidable necessity. Today I changed the sheets on my bed for the first time because no one was there to help me. My bed is fairly high (I need a step stool to climb in!) I squatted to tuck everything in and tried to use my quads to stand up, but then I felt guilty about doing it.

Any thoughts?

Comment

Working...
                                X