Is surgery worth having?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EDITED

If a surgeon ever suggested to me that I or my kid needed bone taken from the iliac crest, I would ask them why, I would ask for evidence, I would ask about the risk of pain the rest of my life from that site, and then shop that opinion around with other surgeons.
    Last edited by Pooka1; 08-22-2015, 05:33 PM.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
      Do NOT allow bone to be taken from your iliac crest. I think surgeons are moving away from that because of the high chance of pain the rest of your life.
      The word has to be getting out by now.....How long has it been? It has to be over 10 years now....

Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Surgeons are still using ICBG in some situations, for spine surgeries as well as other types of surgery. When they can't get enough local bone, and there is concern that the patient won't fuse, the risk of residual donor site pain is lesser than the risk of non-union.

--Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Okay but I know a person who claims the ongoing pain associated with the bone harvest site is much worse than anything associated with her back. She traded one bad pain for another which may or may not make sense. It scared me and I still would not allow it in my kids if faced with that.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Okay but I know a person who claims the ongoing pain associated with the bone harvest site is much worse than anything associated with her back. She traded one bad pain for another which may or may not make sense. It scared me and I still would not allow it in my kids if faced with that.
            As always, I would choose a surgeon I felt I could trust, and if the surgeon felt that I needed ICBG, I'd go along. :-)
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
              As always, I would choose a surgeon I felt I could trust, and if the surgeon felt that I needed ICBG, I'd go along. :-)
              I guess I wouldn't trust a surgeon who recommended iliac crest bone harvest. :-) Or at least I would get 3-4 other opinions before accepting that. And I'd want to see ever paper every written on the subject. Twice. :-)

By the way, Linda, can I ask if any of the people you work with do ICBG? How many a year?
              Last edited by Pooka1; 08-22-2015, 05:07 PM.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

I guess I wouldn't trust a surgeon who recommended iliac crest bone harvest. :-) Or at least I would get 3-4 other opinions before accepting that. And I'd want to see ever paper every written on the subject. Twice. :-)

By the way, Linda, can I ask if any of the people you work with do ICBG? How many a year?
                We don't actually track ICBG, as it's not a billable procedure (all systems and data are based on what's billable, unfortunately). I know I've seen it in notes occasionally, but I can't tell you how recent or how often. I'll try to track it for a bit.

I do agree, based on the literature, that no one should be routinely using ICBG (at least in the US). (We have to remember that there are places where there are no other options.) If there's a valid reason, and the patient is adequately informed, I think we need to be open minded about it. There's a bit of danger in warning a patient to never allow ICBG, or any other specific procedure for that matter, as we can't possibly know why the surgeon has recommended it. Instead, I think it's valid to suggest that the patient discuss the issue with their surgeon.

By the way, I had ICBG as part of my first surgeries, and have no pain at that site.

--Linda

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                  There's a bit of danger in warning a patient to never allow ICBG, or any other specific procedure for that matter, as we can't possibly know why the surgeon has recommended it. Instead, I think it's valid to suggest that the patient discuss the issue with their surgeon.
                  I agree with this. I am going to edit my post to make it about what I would do as opposed to suggesting what others should do. And that people should get reasons from their surgeons for these things and get other opinions.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

There sure are a lot of things to consider when making an “informed” decision.....We can pitch many balls across the plate for discussion and this forum is valuable in this respect.

Its not a scare tactic, its not lack of support, its reality....I want you to know that its “Shared Decision Making” which is a benefit.

Some videos from the “Informed Medical Decisions Foundation”

http://www.informedmedicaldecisions....ent-resources/

http://www.informedmedicaldecisions....cision-making/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs8MyqHGkFM

Ed
                    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Those are good videos. As I understand it, they are trying to fully explain everything to the patients so the patients can partially own the decision.

Patients can't ask about the evidence case for pain at a bone harvest site if they don't know it is even an issue. Patients and parents can't push back on fusing compensatory lumbar curves in false doubles if they haven't seen the literature supporting selective T fusion and don't know that many surgeons do selective fusion.

You can't make an informed decision if you don't even know what to ask.

I am a lay person in the field of orthopedic medicine. But I can read the literature in this field enough to be able to ask a surgeon what exactly is being done and why. And I can get second opinions and ask each surgeon why other surgeons might differ among themselves on some point.

Most of all, patients should know that there isn't necessarily a consensus on many things involved with scoliosis. Just knowing that should trigger demands for a listing of what is not consensus-based and a full explanation of all procedures that are not consensus based. This also would show what is consensus-based (for example fusing large, progressive T curves in adolescents) so patients and parents don't have to struggle with things that don't merit the struggle.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

While we as patients want to know exactly what will be done surgically, there are always decisions that are made intra-operatively. Xrays, CT, and MRI can give the surgeon a good vision of what the vertebrae probably look like and how the vertebrae move, but the actual visualization and movement of the spine can result in the surgeon making some modifications during surgery. Of course this must be within the limits of the consent. This may be more valid during surgeries that repair problems from previous surgeries. This is why having an experienced surgeon is so important.
                        Susan
                        Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
                        2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
                        2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
                        2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
                        2018: Removal L4,5 screw
                        2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

I agree with the 'never say never' approach. I had bone harvested from my iliac crest according to my operative report and if I had not requested a copy and read it, I would have never known. I have zero pain at the site. I don't remember it being discussed pre-op, but then again, there is a LOT I don't remember about the surgery. It may have been an operative decision as the #1 thing the surgeon told me after that I do remember is that my lumbar spine was 'mush', which he did not expect as my bone scan was deemed OK but not great (osteopenia), although they couldn't get a read on my lumbar spine during the scan due to the scoliosis. Maybe he decided it was something I needed for a solid fusion and was worth the risk. He is very conservative with BMP.

If you look at my post op xray, you can actually see where it was harvested.
                          Before 39* lumbar at age 18, progressed to 74* lumbar and 22* thoracic age 55
                          ALIF Jan 13, 2015, PLIF Jan 15, 2015 with Dr William Stevens, Honor Health
                          Fused T-7 to S-1 with pelvic fixation

After 38* lumbar

Xrays
                          Before: http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...7&d=1414268930

After: http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...6&d=1424894360

Comment

Have you considered that this is an implant surgery, and that everyone takes to the metal implants in different ways? Waking up from surgery and feeling metal rods in your spine is a most unpleasant feeling. Not everyone feels it, but many do. Also, how do you feel about never being able to bend or arch your back again? Depending on how many levels are fused, you will be able to bend from the hips, and you will have some movement under your fusion in your lower lumbar, but you will never be able to wake up in the morning and yawn and stretch/arch your spine again. You said you did modeling - try your different model poses without bending your spine forward or backwards AT ALL. Also no twisting, unless it's ONLY your shoulders, no arching your spine, even a little, to accentuate your chest as this won't be possible with a Scoliosis fusion. I can't tell you how many times I look in clothing catalogs going through pose after pose and miss the days when I could move like that. When you sit, your back will be perfectly straight - no more hunching - a physical impossibility after surgery, so it might be hard to get comfortable on a couch. Do you like dancing? Get a brace and try dancing without arching your back or swaying your hips; fusing the spine also means you will lose the ability to walk while swinging your hips, something I believe models do a lot.
                            I wish you the best. Your curve numbers are low; wish I could trade places with you!
                            1st surgery: Fused T1-L3 in 1987 with contoured Harrington Rods. Rods broke at top.
                            2nd surgery: Re-done two weeks later; fused C7-L3. Left in chronic pain.
                            3rd surgery: Hardware removal 1997, but still pain for 30 years.
                            4th Surgery: Fused to the sacrum in 2016. Came out of surgery with left foot paralysis. (Drop Foot) Can't walk on my own.
                            I'm blessed to have found my peace and reason to live not from a husband or kids (I have none) but from God and within myself.

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                              Steph, When you see your surgeon, also address your lack of kyphosis and lordosis. I would ask about restoration of these curves. Will he do anything special in regards to this like osteotomy? Your young, but ask.

Did he mention any fusion levels to you? or any other things like XLIF. Would it be a posterior only?

Where will the autograft come from? Or allograft? Will he harvest bone off your pelvis?

The scariest part for us is not knowing what is going to happen to us and when......We like to have direction and control, but that doesn’t always happen. I think to be happy, you want to swim with the tide, and go with the flow.

Ed
                              I will definitely be asking a TON of questions and will make sure to write all of these down ahead of time. Its definitely good to know what to ask ahead of time so I don't just go in blindly. Unfortunately, since my insurance changed, I have to wait to get my next set of xrays done to even talk to a surgeon. Even then, it will not be MY surgeon until the referral goes through.

Comment

Originally posted by Tableone View Post
                                Have you considered that this is an implant surgery, and that everyone takes to the metal implants in different ways? Waking up from surgery and feeling metal rods in your spine is a most unpleasant feeling. Not everyone feels it, but many do. Also, how do you feel about never being able to bend or arch your back again? Depending on how many levels are fused, you will be able to bend from the hips, and you will have some movement under your fusion in your lower lumbar, but you will never be able to wake up in the morning and yawn and stretch/arch your spine again. You said you did modeling - try your different model poses without bending your spine forward or backwards AT ALL. Also no twisting, unless it's ONLY your shoulders, no arching your spine, even a little, to accentuate your chest as this won't be possible with a Scoliosis fusion. I can't tell you how many times I look in clothing catalogs going through pose after pose and miss the days when I could move like that. When you sit, your back will be perfectly straight - no more hunching - a physical impossibility after surgery, so it might be hard to get comfortable on a couch. Do you like dancing? Get a brace and try dancing without arching your back or swaying your hips; fusing the spine also means you will lose the ability to walk while swinging your hips, something I believe models do a lot.
                                I wish you the best. Your curve numbers are low; wish I could trade places with you!
                                To my understanding, I would be able to do a LOT of those things still. A lot of modeling does consist of twisting and hunching over into "relaxed" positions, but I don't think I'd be entirely limited in that regards. My curvature is primarily in the thoracic region, which doesn't so a whole lot of bending/twisting anyways.

Im sure the feeling of having hardware on my spine will take some getting used to but there is a high possibility that it won't be unbearable. I understand there are sacrifices to be made. However, that's the card I have been dealt. I have scoliosis and nothing I do/say will change it. I am just going into this with an optimistic mindset and hoping for the best.

Also, I've talked to people that go back into dancing and sports post-op. Wouldn't imagine why I wouldn't be able to do 90% of what I do now, excluding Hockey.

I appreciate the post, even if it is a tad negative. It's great to see all perspectives though. Thank you for that!

Comment

Working...
                                X