Is surgery worth having?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stefandamos View Post
    To my understanding, I would be able to do a LOT of those things still. A lot of modeling does consist of twisting and hunching over into "relaxed" positions, but I don't think I'd be entirely limited in that regards. My curvature is primarily in the thoracic region, which doesn't so a whole lot of bending/twisting anyways.
    My kids have T4-L1 fused and they claim they don't notice a difference from before. But I think that is because they had a lower ROM just from having curved, rotated spines. They do not have the full ROM bending straight to the side but that is the only thing I can detect when asking them to move their torso. But the bottom line is they don't think fusion robbed them of much ROM.

Also, I've talked to people that go back into dancing and sports post-op. Wouldn't imagine why I wouldn't be able to do 90% of what I do now, excluding Hockey.
    Ask your surgeon but I suspect you will have no restrictions (except bungee jumping), not even hockey. That's what my daughters were told as I recall. Could you please report back what he says on this for the sake of the others?
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
      My kids have T4-L1 fused and they claim they don't notice a difference from before. But I think that is because they had a lower ROM just from having curved, rotated spines. They do not have the full ROM bending straight to the side but that is the only thing I can detect when asking them to move their torso. But the bottom line is they don't think fusion robbed them of much ROM.

Ask your surgeon but I suspect you will have no restrictions (except bungee jumping), not even hockey. That's what my daughters were told as I recall. Could you please report back what he says on this for the sake of the others?

I expect it to be similar for me. Having a curved and twisted spine does not give be me the best ROM. I can hardly twist my spine as is without crushing my heart/lungs to the point of severe pain. I do remember hearing that I won't be able to bend as far forward until I stretch morw after because most of the bending will be done at the hips.

Also, even if my surgeon gives the "okay" on hockey, I will still give it up. As much as I don't like saying it, hockey is not good for your body at all. At the end of every game my body aches and is screaming for me to stop. I could only imagine how that'd be on my body after the surgery.

I will make sure to post when I do speak to them though!
      Its a learning experience for all of us.

Comment

I do remember hearing that I won't be able to bend as far forward until I stretch more after because most of the bending will be done at the hips.
        No that is only for lumbar fusions. My kids have something indistinguishable from full ROM bending forward because they are only fused to L1. If your fusion ends at L1 I suspect you will not notice much difference in how you bend forward.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Not trying to deter you away from your choice on having surgery, but I would want to notify you of the fact that you will have completely no capability of twisting the torso at all after a thoracic spinal fusion, ZERO. Most models I see on ads and tv have very dynamic poses that require them to twist the torso against the pelvis as much as possible to create a graceful arc in their pose. Also like tableone said, try fitting yourself with a brace first and see how happy you are being able to do all the sports activities you want and then make your final decision. I've been told exactly the same by my surgeon in evaluating whether I'd want to go through the operation or not.

For self motivating inspiration, I recommend you to check out Catliona Gray, she's an australian filipino fashion/ads model in the philippines despite her prominent scoliosis but still get's chosen often for the job. Often our insecurities stem only from our very own minds.

Godspeed to you with whatever choice you arrive with.

Comment

Originally posted by Jinseeker View Post
            Not trying to deter you away from your choice on having surgery, but I would want to notify you of the fact that you will have completely no capability of twisting the torso at all after a thoracic spinal fusion, ZERO. Most models I see on ads and tv have very dynamic poses that require them to twist the torso against the pelvis as much as possible to create a graceful arc in their pose. Also like tableone said, try fitting yourself with a brace first and see how happy you are being able to do all the sports activities you want and then make your final decision. I've been told exactly the same by my surgeon in evaluating whether I'd want to go through the operation or not.

For self motivating inspiration, I recommend you to check out Catliona Gray, she's an australian filipino fashion/ads model in the philippines despite her prominent scoliosis but still get's chosen often for the job. Often our insecurities stem only from our very own minds.

Godspeed to you with whatever choice you arrive with.
            I appreciate the post! I know surgery is nothing to jump into. I am aware of the mobility issues that come with it. However, to say that I will be 100% unable to twist my torso is false. Especially considering most of the movement of a spine comes from the lumbar region. The thoracic spine does give you extra mobility, but it's nothing like getting your lumbar spine fused

Also, continuing to model is the least of my concerns. I just want to be able to be active and continue studying without issues. I am going to school to be an engineerer, which won't require much activity at all.

From testimonials that I have personally heard from those that have had throacic fusions I've learned that ROM isn't compromised as much as you would think.

Im still on the fence myself but at the moment I see more pros than cons.

Comment

Look at Ti Ed's pictures in his signature (I think)... he is fused to pelvis and can still twist through a large ROM with shoulders. I think he hit about 90*.

When I assessed my daughter's ROM after fusion, I don't recall if I asked them to twist. It was mainly checking ROM bending forward, backward, and to the sides. I will ask them if they can twist through the torso and ask them to take a picture.

Like I stated earlier, they claim they do not feel they have lost much ROM after the fusion though the baseline is their unfused curve. They do have less ROM bending to the side compared to someone without scoliosis and without a fusion. But they can bend forward and backward through the lumbar in what appears to me to be a normal ROM because they are only fused to L1.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

This is Ti Ed, one of the forum's spokesmodels :-)

He is doing a seated twist. His shoulders are displaced at least ~65* away from his hips I would say. That is QUITE a twist and he is fused to pelvis. Given that, I am guessing there is virtually NO loss in a twist ROM in a fusion that doesn't include the lumbar. That would comport with what my daughters report about general ROM pre- and post-fusion for them.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...9&d=1270157276

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

This is Ti Ed, one of the forum's spokesmodels :-)

He is doing a seated twist. His shoulders are displaced at least ~65* away from his hips I would say. That is QUITE a twist and he is fused to pelvis. Given that, I am guessing there is virtually NO loss in a twist ROM in a fusion that doesn't include the lumbar. That would comport with what my daughters report about general ROM pre- and post-fusion for them.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...9&d=1270157276
                  This is exactly what I thought! It seems the ROM isn't sacrificed as much as some people think. In this picture, his torso looks like it's twisting and not just his shoulders. Definitely not too concerned about my ROM post-op. I would gladly give up hockey and modeling for a straight spine and no more constant discomfort.

Comment

Stephanie,

I am fused T6 to sacrum and I can do Zumba. It's a one hour class and I love it. I am not very graceful and probably dance like a Pinocchio, but I don't care. I am just having fun. Before the surgery, I could not walk for more than half an hour at a slow pace. Now, I am doing zumba for an hour in addition to swimming, lifting, elliptical etc four times a week.

And regarding modeling. I remember looking at catalogs and thinking that I would give anything, other than my loved ones, to be able to wear these outfits.I have never even though about models poses and how twisty they are. Now, people at work call me their fashion model because I've gone nuts after the surgery with clothing!

There are some very unlucky people and my heart goes out to them. As long as you understand risks involved and not going into this surgery for cosmetic reasons only, you should be ok. Best of luck with your decision!
                    I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
                    45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
                    A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

I appreciate the post! I know surgery is nothing to jump into. I am aware of the mobility issues that come with it. However, to say that I will be 100% unable to twist my torso is false. Especially considering most of the movement of a spine comes from the lumbar region. The thoracic spine does give you extra mobility, but it's nothing like getting your lumbar spine fused

Also, continuing to model is the least of my concerns. I just want to be able to be active and continue studying without issues. I am going to school to be an engineerer, which won't require much activity at all.

From testimonials that I have personally heard from those that have had throacic fusions I've learned that ROM isn't compromised as much as you would think.

Im still on the fence myself but at the moment I see more pros than cons.
                      I was only referring to the fused part of the spine. That cannot twist as the vertebrae have joined into one bone. With professional models they twist all areas of the body, shoulders, neck, torso, and pelvis in a very natural unconstrained way, you won't have any motion in the torso area at all post op.

As for pain relief, have you tried schroth, developing your core and using a lumbar or rib support belt. It sure helped a lot with the constant discomfort
                      I was having, as I realized my spine is straighter when I bend my torso to the right and elevate my left shoulder higher a bit. This is what sitting straight is for me, NOT sitting with your shoulders level like everybody else. You have a lumbar curve, and those usually come with the pelvis tilted one side higher than the other, I sit with a small pillow underneath one butt to level my pelvis and definitely helped me the times I felt uneasy. It took me 7 years to finally know how to sit comfortably in a chair with my scoliotic body by fully understanding how it curves and twists. See, http://scoliosis3dc.com/schroth-meth...ce-of-germany/
                      this helped me a lot in understanding how I should sit, move and stand.

Hope you explore other options, if you choose to live with your scoliosis, be open and let people know you have it and have to sit, stand walk in a different way, they'll understand.
                      Last edited by Jinseeker; 09-01-2015, 01:14 AM.

Comment

Truthfully there's very little movement in the thoracic spine anyway once we are adults so fusion only in the thoracics and into higher lumbar levels won't change ROM too much once you are fully fused.

There is mental factor to get over to bend/twist more.

Anyway I'm fused to L3 and I don't really notice loss of ROM in the lumbar region, and only thing I can say I lost in the thoracic region for sure is the ability to slouch over, which probably is a good thing anyway.
                        Last edited by green m&m; 09-01-2015, 09:00 AM.
                        30 something y.o.

2003 - T45, L???
                        2005 - T50, L31
                        bunch of measurements between...

2011 - T60, L32
                        2013 - T68, L?

Posterior Fusion Sept 2014 -- T3 - L3
                        Post - op curve ~35

Comment

Originally posted by Jinseeker View Post
                          I was only referring to the fused part of the spine. That cannot twist as the vertebrae have joined into one bone. With professional models they twist all areas of the body, shoulders, neck, torso, and pelvis in a very natural unconstrained way, you won't have any motion in the torso area at all post op.

As for pain relief, have you tried schroth, developing your core and using a lumbar or rib support belt. It sure helped a lot with the constant discomfort
                          I was having, as I realized my spine is straighter when I bend my torso to the right and elevate my left shoulder higher a bit. This is what sitting straight is for me, NOT sitting with your shoulders level like everybody else. You have a lumbar curve, and those usually come with the pelvis tilted one side higher than the other, I sit with a small pillow underneath one butt to level my pelvis and definitely helped me the times I felt uneasy. It took me 7 years to finally know how to sit comfortably in a chair with my scoliotic body by fully understanding how it curves and twists. See, http://scoliosis3dc.com/schroth-meth...ce-of-germany/
                          this helped me a lot in understanding how I should sit, move and stand.

Hope you explore other options, if you choose to live with your scoliosis, be open and let people know you have it and have to sit, stand walk in a different way, they'll understand.
                          Living life with a scoliotic spine is not easy for anyone. However, I'd much rather straighten myself with surgery than constantly have to fix posture and worry about my appearance. My close friends know about it but that is it.

As a 22 year-old male, I put appearance high on a 'scale of important'. That's the reality of things. I already work out a few times a week and play hockey. Building muscle has helped but not as much as most would think. I constantly feel my spine, the same way you'd feel a ball in your hand if you were to hold one. It feels unnatural and I'm tired of it.

Comment

Living life with a scoliotic spine is not easy for anyone. However, I'd much rather straighten myself with surgery than constantly have to fix posture and worry about my appearance. My close friends know about it but that is it.

As a 22 year-old male, I put appearance high on a 'scale of important'. That's the reality of things. I already work out a few times a week and play hockey. Building muscle has helped but not as much as most would think. I constantly feel my spine, the same way you'd feel a ball in your hand if you were to hold one. It feels unnatural and I'm tired of it.
                            My daughters were fused in 2008 and 2009 and claim to not think about their backs any more. It is the new normal. They look and feel normal (against an abnormal baseline of a curved back of course).

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

My daughters were fused in 2008 and 2009 and claim to not think about their backs any more. It is the new normal. They look and feel normal (against an abnormal baseline of a curved back of course).
                              That is exactly what I want for myself. My back will never be 100% symmetrical, but I know it can be improved significantly. I'm glad that even 6/7 years later they are still doing good and do not have to worry about their backs anymore! That's the outcome most people going through this surgery are looking for.

Not having to "feel" my spine is reason enough to get the surgery.

Comment

Went in for x-rays yesterday and had a very scary reminder. In 2009, I had one thoracic curve of 10 degrees. In 6 years time I have developed a 45~ degree Thoracic curve and a 32~ degree lumbar curve.

I will be getting the results of my x-rays on my next appointment on the 28th. Will keep everyone updated as to what the doctor says about surgery. Since I'm at a new hospital, they refuse to refer me directly to the neurosurgeon. For now, it's a waiting game.

Comment

Working...
                                X