Just found out my 12 yr old has Scoliosis :o(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Krystal

I never heard of this type of twist of scoliosis until now. I forgot what he even called it. I go for the MRI tomorrow so Im wondering if she does have some type of pinched nerve or a herniated disk. I know what you mean by docs saying it doesnt hurt but how do they know when most of them dont even have it LOL..I will definately go back in 6 months with her to see how her back is and make sure it hasnt gotten worse. Thanks again for all the advice. I will keep you all updated.

Tammy

P.S. I will go check out those sites you mentioned. Ive been so busy I havent had a chance to go look at them yet.

Comment

Hi Linda,
      What I was referring to was the comment the doctor made that her scoliosis would not cause the pain. Scoliosis has the "ability" to do alot of harm to a spine including pain. Scoliosis can contort a spine and cause nerves to be pinched. So to say that it never has anything to do with it is simply cause and effect.

I have had doctors tell me my pain isnt from the scoliosis many times. I didnt have any pain after surgery until it started to progress again. I have muscle spasms so strong I cant breathe. Also when I was pre op I had pain from the stress of the spasms on my ribs and shoulders.

I would not have pain if I didn't have scoliosis. I mentioned everyone is different. Some people do not have pain from it, but at some point I am pretty positive they have some kind of painful reaction to having scoliosis. If there are people that have none, it is a minority.

You said you had no pain from it until in your 30's? Did I read you were fused at a young age? It may have been some one else. Maybe your fusions did allow nerve flow anyway? I would imagine in this case, scoliosis having to do alot with compromising of nerves and stimulation of nerves, would seem to be the reason.

The child in this case being one where she has a twist in her spine that would cause a disc to be turn and push on a nerve. Hopefully this child is in access of modern treatments that are miniumally evasive to solve her problem. Take care.
      krystal
      Diagnosed 11 at school screening, surgery 16.
      Had Harrington rods w/fusions.
      Luque-thorasic.
      Full term pregnancies,no major issues.sciatica with the first. Epidurals with C-sections
      2005:lumbar reconstruction, 2 plates, 6 screws in sacrum, and 2 cages with my own bone.
      2007: cervical surgery to correct 4 bulging discs, two fusions with cages using cadaver bone.
      Both of my daughters have scoliosis. Both were diagnosed by 7.
      http://spinedoctors.md/ Dr, Jospeh Flynn Jr

Comment

Krystal...

You're preaching to the choir. I agree that doctors should not be telling patients that scoliosis doesn't cause pain. Put aside the argument about whether scoliosis actually does or doesn't cause pain. When a doctor tells someone that scoliosis doesn't cause pain, s/he's risking the patient actually feeling like a hypochondriac.

While most kids I know with scoliosis don't have pain, that doesn't diminish the pain for those that do. And, while I've known more than a few adults with severe curves that claim not to have pain, I definitely think they're in the minority.

I did not have spinal fusion until I was 42.

--Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hey Tammy,
          I am so impressed to hear how fast you are able to get these appt. No need to make her suffer too long without an answer. It will be better to know so you can get the ball rolling. Both of my daughters go through alot with there backs and I have gotten used to alot of the complaints, but you know which ones are the "real" complaints. They have begun to have the major muscle spasms. They are lucky that I know how to massage them out and have strong hands.

My chiro gave me some interesting materials this week and when I read and do some researching on it I will direct you to the sites. It was released this week that scoliosis study shows a direct link to brain stem dysfunction. So that is my research goal this week.

The doctor that wrote the article is Dr. John J. Regan with Cedars-Sinai Hospital in Los Angeles, CA. He is a researcher.

Also Yekutiel M. Robin. His quote is this:
          "Disturbance of postural equilibrium have been found in idiopathic scoliosis, and several researchers have suggested that this is a result of brain stem disturbances. It also has been shown experimenatally that stress on posterior nerve roots can cause spinal deviation.

Well let us know what happens. Take care.
          Krystal
          Luque-thorasic.
          Full term pregnancies,no major issues.sciatica with the first. Epidurals with C-sections
          2005:lumbar reconstruction, 2 plates, 6 screws in sacrum, and 2 cages with my own bone.
          2007: cervical surgery to correct 4 bulging discs, two fusions with cages using cadaver bone.

Comment

Hi Linda,
            I am glad you see both side with pain and scoliosis. It makes you feel terrible to hear someone tell you that when your in pain yourself.
            I have been pursuing a surgeon that can address all of the scoliosis issues, so I have seen alot of ortho's and they look at you like you are an alien when you tell them your in pain.
            The one doctor I just gave up on is supposed to be one of the best here in the Orlando area. His Nurse Practioner assessed me and would only take care of either or of my problems until i saw the doctor. So when I went into see the ortho he said well seeing you dont need any help with your scoliosis i want to see you back in 6 months. I said "How do you know that the scoliosis is ok? You didn't do x-rays! I then found out the nurse didn't even have the date of my surgery wrote down correctly. So I give as much credit to the doctors as they are worth. He never blinked an eye he kept the appt at 6 months. He also said something outrageous he said he did some research on my back and he said "I contacted a fellow doctor that does alot of research and he said your pain comes from the fusions." LOL. He then says "They have found something new about fusions. It puts stress above and below the fusion." Well golly jeepers really doc. did you go to oldnews.com? I don't have college to back me up, but good grief I was not born yesterday, nor did I fall from the turnip truck. Wasn't impressed. Well nice hearing from you. Take care.
            Krystal
            Luque-thorasic.

Comment

I made a mistake, its not a MRI its a CAT scan LOL...DUH! I have too much going on these days I cant remember crap HEHE...

Tammy

Comment

Hey All,
                Just checking to see how everyone is getting along. Hope all is well.

Krystal
                Luque-thorasic.

Comment

Everything is going great! Her back looks normal again and she is feeling a lot better. She is back to playing softball again and it didnt cause her any pain thank god! I find out on Wednesday what the Ortho Doc has to say about the films of the CT scan. I will let you all know what he says. He is checking to see why she has lower back pain.

Tammy

Comment

Glad to hear everything has settles down and not so stressful. Good Luck.
                    Luque-thorasic.

Comment

Chriopractors and Orthopadeists and Curves

My 15 year old son has scoliosis and kyphosis . . . we did see a chiropractor once.

That chiropractor isn't going to "fix" the scoliosis, but, the chiropractic treatment may help straighten the spine for a while and I did read an article or two that said with mild curves, chiropractic treatment may be somewhat effective.

I know with my son, his spine changes over the day. We have always kept track of his height on a door jamb in the laundry room. Before I knew he had scoliosis I was finding that sometimes his height was changing. At first I thought I had just marked it wrong, but then as I watched more carefully, he was different heights on different days! If I measure his height AFTER he swims or works out he is taller than if I measure his height after sitting!

So, the chriopractor can manipulate the spine and get some movement in it, but the changes won't likely last. At least that is my take on it!

I did read a post from a man in his 30's whose mother was an MD. He had never had surgery (yet) and his routine included seeing a chiroprator, using an inversion machine, keeping active and fit. He stated that this combination kept his spine limber and he felt it kept him from needing to have surgery.

Comment

Hi Joe's Mom,
                        I totally agree with your stance on Chiropractic care not being a "fix" and surely nothing including surgery, isn't going to prevent the scoliosis from perhaps causing other problems. I go routinely to avoid taking medication that causes more problems with my stomach. My chiropractor is more modern than the others he doesnt do the "cracking" and "popping" that so many others do. I am trying to avoid the enivitable as long as I can. The girls are in school and need me. So maybe the summer will be my surgery date.

Today is a day when I trluy feel the effects from the scoliosis. The effect it has on my joints, tendons and ligaments. I am truly in the worst pain with my back hurting the way it is today and yesterday.

I wanted to suggest maybe getting your sons legs measured to see how big of a difference there is. If he was standing "straight" ,( i don't know if there is such a thing with scoliosis) he might be shifting his weight to one side and making a difference in his height. I have a difference of 1 inch form the right to the left leg. the girls have 1/4 inch on one side. This is seen alot with other fellow scoli's. Just a thought. Let me know if there is, it has sparked my curiousity to know. Krystal
                        Luque-thorasic.

Comment

Working...
                        X