Curve progression after surgery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curve progression after surgery?

Hi everyone, been a long time. I'm 2 years post op and relatively pain free! Getting stronger every day, too. My question is this, is it possible for a curve to progress after surgery? Say, above the fusion maybe? I've had a sense lately that I'm tilting to the side again. That my scoliosis is trying to reclaim my spine. I know this isn't possible because I'm fused T10 to sacrum. But I'm detecting a distinct canting to the left... Maybe I'm just stiff from working out? I go back to my surgeon in 2 weeks. I guess I'll find out then. But until then, can anyone put my mind at ease by telling me it's absolutely not possible for a curve to progress after surgery?
    Surgery June 18 by Dr. Errico at NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases at age 41.
    Fused T10-Pelvis.
    "Ask me about my brand new lordosis!"

Unless there's something wrong with the implants, you can't progress within the fusion area. You can, however, progress above the fusion. Try not to stress about it. You'll know for certain in a few weeks.

Good luck!

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Baroness. At first I was fused like you t-10 to pelvis. However I fractured through t-9 and the progressed to hyper kyphosis. When you see your doctor have him order a CT scan that he also checks. It is so worth it for peace of mind if there isn't a problem. Us scoli's do like to twist and turn.
      T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
      C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
      T2--T10 fusion 2/11
      C 4-5 fusion 11/14
      Right scapulectomy 6/15
      Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
      To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
      Broken neck 9/28/2018
      Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
      Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
      Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
      Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1