searching for a video of patient walking with sacral fusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• searching for a video of patient walking with sacral fusion

I have been all over youtube trying to find a video of a person actually walking after a long fusion with pelvic fixation. I am told that my gait will absolute change and appear mechanical.

It would be nice to see this in reality - I have exhausted youtube with different ways of asking what I want to see - does anyone know of such a video?

Many thanks in advance!!
    Susan
    XLIF/Posterior Surgery 6/16/08. Fused T10-L5 in CA by Dr. Michael Kropf (don't go there unless it's simple, I hear he's at Cedar's now). Very deformed, had revision w/5 PSO's, rods from T-3 to sacrum including iliac screws, all posterior, 5/23/16 with Dr. Purnendu Gupta of Chicago.

Owner of Chachi the Chihuahua, So Cal born and bred, now a resident of 'Chicagoland' Illinois. Uh, dislike it here....thank God there was ONE excellent spine surgeon in this area.

Originally posted by Chihuahua Mama View Post
    I have been all over youtube trying to find a video of a person actually walking after a long fusion with pelvic fixation. I am told that my gait will absolute change and appear mechanical.

It would be nice to see this in reality - I have exhausted youtube with different ways of asking what I want to see - does anyone know of such a video?

Many thanks in advance!!
    Hi there! I can't send you a video but I can tell you that I am fused from T9-sacrum with pelvic fixation and my gait when walking is fine. Before my surgery walking to the corner or the copy machine outside my office was a challenge. Now I can walk for miles at a clip with virtually no problems.

Best of luck!

Rise

Comment

Thanks Rise - for some reason this bothers me - I look awful now, bent over and to the side, but the 'robot walk' bugs me. Heck, I should be happy I CAN walk because now it is very difficult. Standing is worse.

I just thought SOMEWHERE with all the scoli video on you tube you could see a person actually walk after a long fusion with pelvic fixation. Still haven't found one.
      Susan
      XLIF/Posterior Surgery 6/16/08. Fused T10-L5 in CA by Dr. Michael Kropf (don't go there unless it's simple, I hear he's at Cedar's now). Very deformed, had revision w/5 PSO's, rods from T-3 to sacrum including iliac screws, all posterior, 5/23/16 with Dr. Purnendu Gupta of Chicago.

Owner of Chachi the Chihuahua, So Cal born and bred, now a resident of 'Chicagoland' Illinois. Uh, dislike it here....thank God there was ONE excellent spine surgeon in this area.

Comment

Thanks Rise - for some reason this bothers me - I look awful now, bent over and to the side, but the 'robot walk' bugs me. Heck, I should be happy I CAN walk because now it is very difficult. Standing is worse.

I just thought SOMEWHERE with all the scoli video on you tube you could see a person actually walk after a long fusion with pelvic fixation. Still haven't found one.
        I was very concerned about being fused to the sacrum. I have no doubts that everyone is different but I've been pleasantly surprised at the amount of mobility and flexibility I still have. I was in pretty good physical condition prior to my surgery (although my spine was definitely collapsing and my clothes fit horribly) and I believe that can make a world of difference. I was allowed to start physical therapy at 6 months post op and working on stretching your quads makes things so much better. All in all I really have no complaints about my level of fusion and fixation. I definitely have limitations with things like tying my sneakers but I can always find a way to manage around it. It's really just a matter of getting in a good spot or position - this is where working on flexibility helps.

Rise

Comment

I didn't experience a 'robot' walk, but I was slow, cautious, and deliberate for about 4 months. I was conscious of my gait because I was still 'throwing' my right foot inward - a compensation from being crooked. I'm fused to S1 with pelvic fixation & I now have a normal gait. I can walk a mile in 20 minutes in a steady, flowing stride. I love my new gait!!
          Be sure to give yourself plenty of time to adapt to your long fusion.
          Peg
          61 yrs old
          75 degree lumbar curve with thoracic kyphosis
          T3 - S1 surgery with Dr. Buchowski in St. Louis, on 10/27/14
          Working on healing in Columbus, Ohio!

Comment

I have exhausted youtube with different ways of asking what I want to see
            “If I only had a spine”

I could wile away the hours
            Conferrin’ with the flowers
            Consultin’ with the pine....

And my head I’d be scratchin’
            While my thoughts were busy hatchin’
            If I only had a spine.....

Susan, This is about the closest thing that I could find....(smiley face) Ray Bolger was about as rubbery as they get....

It would be nice if we had that magic cable from the ceiling....we wouldn’t need our walkers and wouldn’t have to worry about falling.

Ed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX76RCN_8hk
            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

I'm 6 months post fusion from t3-sacrum, with fixation. I don't think I have a robot walk unless I'm really tired or in a lot of pain.but that just keeps getting better. PT is a huge part of recovering function. I hadn't heard about a " robot walk" and I don't feel like that's really an issue right now. Hope that helps.
              T4-Sacrum fusion, with pelvic fixation in January 2015, Dr. Lonner in NYC
              10 osteotomies, rotation from 25 to 2
              Diagnosed at age 11 with double curve, 36 and 45 degrees, Braced for 2.5 years
              At time of surgery, curves were 45 and 65 degrees
              Chronic back pain, worsening, since age 11
              Tried every pain management procedure, acupuncture, chiropractor, physical therapy ever created
              Mom of 2 cuties!

Comment

At first maybe, but the more you walk the better it gets. I meet people now that tell me they never would have guessed that my spine is fused.
                T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                Right scapulectomy 6/15
                Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
                To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
                Broken neck 9/28/2018
                Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
                Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
                Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
                Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
                Osteotomy

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks to everyone who responded! Ed you are always hysterical, as usual.

And I will watch the movie Cake. I think its on demand with Comcast.

The funny thing is I did find one very short video of a woman walking down a pier with crutches of some kind but I can't find it now.

Thanks again guys. I'll ask the dr. about removing the iliac screws after about 15 months.

Susan
                  Susan

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                    “If I only had a spine”

I could wile away the hours
                    Conferrin’ with the flowers
                    Consultin’ with the pine....

And my head I’d be scratchin’
                    While my thoughts were busy hatchin’
                    If I only had a spine.....

Susan, This is about the closest thing that I could find....(smiley face) Ray Bolger was about as rubbery as they get....

It would be nice if we had that magic cable from the ceiling....we wouldn’t need our walkers and wouldn’t have to worry about falling.

Ed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX76RCN_8hk

ED! THANKS FOR PUTTING A GIANT SMILE ON MY FACE!! I needed that. Bless you
                    Susan

Comment

ED! THANKS FOR PUTTING A GIANT SMILE ON MY FACE!! I needed that. Bless you
                      I think Ti Ed has a genius at writing posts that are always spot on for whatever situation arises on the forum. He is easily the funniest poster in my opinion. Love Ti Ed. :-)
                      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

There are some snippets of me in this video. Time mark 2:04, 2:26, and 10:01. My gait is totally different postop since one leg is now shorter than the other. I feel mechanical when walking but I've had a lot of people say that I look like I walk normally.

http://bit.ly/1gIJT74
                        44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
                        Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
                        2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

Totally agree, the gait is very similar to Jennifer Anniston in "Cake". She really plays the part excellent and her struggle with recovery from surgery is portrayed very well. Recovery from this surgery is a long process. You can expect to feel somewhat back to normal close to the year mark. Best wishes with your surgery !

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                            I think Ti Ed has a genius at writing posts that are always spot on for whatever situation arises on the forum. He is easily the funniest poster in my opinion. Love Ti Ed. :-)
                            Well, thanks Sharon......

Actually, I will use posts as an emotional reset. Reset the mind, wipe the blackboard clean sort of thing. Which I learned 35 years ago from working with a group of English Rolls Royce Aerospace engineers.....Boy, did we have a lot of fun....100% work and 100% fun. No in-between. I would stress over a problem till it drove me crazy, and the needed release was necessary. I learned to have fun at work, which is important.

We have too much to worry about with surgery and all, so why worry about one specific thing? Better off not worrying at all......

Its probably the reason why I did not plan a thing regarding my surgeries. If I didn’t know what was going to happen, why bother? There is no control....

In regards to scoliosis surgery, I had to hang ten and surf the wave that was next....

Ed
                            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

I agree Ed, I did only minimal research prior to surgery. Just checked out my doctors,but didn't.t really check out anything else. I had surgery as a child so had some idea what to expect. I went through a revision and did fairly well . Too much information can really take control of your mind. Just like when your having a baby, you hear thousands of birth stories. I was terrified to have a baby. Turned out I had a c section and don't remember any pain with that..

Comment

Working...
                              X