Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 29 of 29

Thread: "I dropped it"... how long after surgery were you (finally) able to pick it up?

  1. #16
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    reno,nevada
    Posts
    3,551
    Sock installerís are the norm. Iím surprised you donít have one yet....
    http://www.amazon.com/SOCK-FOAM-GRIP...words=sock-aid

    Long shoe horns are nice....
    https://www.activeforever.com/stainl...FZKBfgodkMAHlQ

    Picking up a halved oxy with grabbers is a milestone! He he

    It can take a long time on the sitting.......pillows help.

    Hang in there

    Ed
    49 yr old male, now 58, the new 53...
    Pre surgery curves C12,T70,L70
    ALIF/PLIF T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

    Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

    My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    39
    "SEDENTARY LIFESTYLE?" Nooo!! Hell, no! I am not ready for that.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Southern CA
    Posts
    2,224
    This is my 4th year anniversary of my C2-pelvis fusion. I am able to pick up most items off the floor. So you should have no problems. It just takes time.

    I do not think that I will be able to either get down on the floor to play with my grandchildren or tie my shoes. Those are small prices to pay for what Dr Bederman did for me.
    Melissa

    Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

    December 8, 2014 - Another Broken Rod Surgery

  4. #19
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Grove City, OH
    Posts
    275
    I'm beginning to learn that set-backs or slowdowns are a part of recovery. My pre-surgery goal was to walk a 5K on the 4th of July. Even though I had been successfully building up to walking 3 miles, the week before the walk, I had tailbone pain that caused me to limp. Each day, the pain decreased to where it was gone the day before the event & I was able to complete my 5K goal - it took an hour, but I did it! The tailbone setback took me by surprise, as did the scapula issues. The 'oh, no, what's wrong' worries take over!

    Susie: I hope you're healing from your falls.

    Cathy: the sock slide works amazingly well!

    I have folding grabbers to carry into stores with me. They're not very sturdy, but can be helpful. I always need them when I forget them in the car! Target carries them with the 'as seen on TV' products.
    Peg
    61 yrs old
    75 degree lumbar curve with thoracic kyphosis
    T3 - S1 surgery with Dr. Buchowski in St. Louis, on 10/27/14
    Working on healing in Columbus, Ohio!

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Yacolt, WA
    Posts
    1,526
    Quote Originally Posted by PeggyS View Post
    I'm beginning to learn that set-backs or slowdowns are a part of recovery. My pre-surgery goal was to walk a 5K on the 4th of July. Even though I had been successfully building up to walking 3 miles, the week before the walk, I had tailbone pain that caused me to limp. Each day, the pain decreased to where it was gone the day before the event & I was able to complete my 5K goal - it took an hour, but I did it! The tailbone setback took me by surprise, as did the scapula issues. The 'oh, no, what's wrong' worries take over!

    Susie: I hope you're healing from your falls.

    Cathy: the sock slide works amazingly well!

    I have folding grabbers to carry into stores with me. They're not very sturdy, but can be helpful. I always need them when I forget them in the car! Target carries them with the 'as seen on TV' products.
    Peggy: Why did we think that recovery would be progressively easier? I think that we were just hoping that it would be!

    Congratulations on your walk! I am impressed!

    Susan
    Adult Onset Degenerative Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Severe disc degen T & L stenosis

    2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 in 2 surgeries
    2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal surgery for Spinal Cord Injury at T4,5 sec to PJK
    2015: Revision Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
    2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone + prayer

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Southern CA
    Posts
    2,224
    I don't know if this is the place to post or not . Last weekend, I went to Yosemite . I hiked 1 1/2 miles to see the Giant Sequoias Trees. They closed them for 2 years on July 6th and I was determined to see them. I never thought that I would be able to walk that far.
    Melissa

    Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

    December 8, 2014 - Another Broken Rod Surgery

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Posts
    87
    Ed I hate socks only wear in absolute freezing temps.... I'll have to have an "installer" on stand by when the temps drop. I had everything else I needed tho!

    At three months I can get on my knees and up only when necessary, my grabbers are great, but I wish I could pick up my cats.... Soon!

    I cannot WAIT to sit comfortably without wiggling constantly or taking a painkiller. I try to make it through the day without anything, but sometimes I cave, and take a 5mg Oxy. Doc said I can do Motrin now but it bothers my stomach.

    Melissa I'm so happy to hear about your hike, you've been through the wringer, you deserve nothing but healing and consistent improvement.

    So, is there such a thing as a telescoping grabber? Or dressing stick? I need to go clothes shopping!
    Cathy
    2 sons, one Syracuse University graduate (working for the Mets now), one college sophomore, one great husband and two fabulous cats
    54 years old March 5
    AIS 45 degrees Thoracic at 14, Milwaukee brace for one year in 1977 then in 2012 I found Dr. Baron Lonner ❤️
    Surgery April 8 2015
    Presurgical curves T77 L66
    Post surgical T27 L22
    Fused T3-S1 pelvic fixation, osteotomies and all the other stuff but you know what? It's done...

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    39
    With respect to a short "grabber" that is convenient to carry in a shoulder bag, for a while I was using a "9.5 inch Forester Sponge Forceps", available through Amazon, or (later, when I could bend more) a much shorter "6 inch Forester Sponge Tweezers". Both were particularly useful when I dropped my underwear while attempting to get dressed in the gym and wishing to avoid having to ask for help.

    By the way, my recent pain episode appears to have been the result of "overdoing it" in an effort to force recovery.
    My recent endurance concerns appear to have been the result of a bout of GI difficulty (euphemism!).
    Thus, back on the path.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    reno,nevada
    Posts
    3,551
    Quote Originally Posted by mabeckoff View Post
    Last weekend, I went to Yosemite . I hiked 1 1/2 miles to see the Giant Sequoias Trees. They closed them for 2 years on July 6th and I was determined to see them. I never thought that I would be able to walk that far.
    Funny how these hikes and walks call us.....we can be hurting, but still we go out and do these things.

    Melissa, You should have called me, I would have come down for that one again

    I see they are doing construction on the Mariposa grove......probably transplanting a few trees. He he

    This healing power of nature is priceless.....

    Ed

    ďA human being is a part of the whole called by us universe, a part limited
    in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feeling as something separated
    from the rest, a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness.

    This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our own personal desires and to affection
    for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle
    of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty.
    - Albert Einstein
    49 yr old male, now 58, the new 53...
    Pre surgery curves C12,T70,L70
    ALIF/PLIF T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

    Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

    My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Southern CA
    Posts
    2,224
    Ed, I would love to meet you so the next time I head north I will let you know.

    Melissa
    Melissa

    Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

    December 8, 2014 - Another Broken Rod Surgery

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Yacolt, WA
    Posts
    1,526
    Quote Originally Posted by mkatz View Post
    With respect to a short "grabber" that is convenient to carry in a shoulder bag, for a while I was using a "9.5 inch Forester Sponge Forceps", available through Amazon, or (later, when I could bend more) a much shorter "6 inch Forester Sponge Tweezers". Both were particularly useful when I dropped my underwear while attempting to get dressed in the gym and wishing to avoid having to ask for help.

    By the way, my recent pain episode appears to have been the result of "overdoing it" in an effort to force recovery.
    My recent endurance concerns appear to have been the result of a bout of GI difficulty (euphemism!).
    Thus, back on the path.
    Love the "overdoing it in an effort to force recovery". Love your recovery ethic!

    Dropping your undies in the dressing room can certainly poise a challenge! Have you thought about going commando?

    Susan
    Adult Onset Degenerative Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Severe disc degen T & L stenosis

    2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 in 2 surgeries
    2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal surgery for Spinal Cord Injury at T4,5 sec to PJK
    2015: Revision Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
    2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone + prayer

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by susancook View Post
    Love the "overdoing it in an effort to force recovery". Love your recovery ethic!

    Dropping your undies in the dressing room can certainly poise a challenge! Have you thought about going commando?

    Susan
    men "dangle" when "going commando". Witness the frowns on some male participants faces when participating in Portland's nude bike rides.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    reno,nevada
    Posts
    3,551
    They would really be frowning if they competed in a pogo stick competition.....

    I just deleted 20 jokes, trying to exercise some control around here....

    I wont be ending this post with ďHang in thereĒ LOL

    Ed
    49 yr old male, now 58, the new 53...
    Pre surgery curves C12,T70,L70
    ALIF/PLIF T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

    Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

    My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    161

    Dropping keys grabber inside car- been there done that- bend a wire coat hanger...

    Quote Originally Posted by PeggyS View Post
    Funny comments!

    About 3 months after surgery, I used a vending machine. The change tray was way too low to reach and I didn't have anyone with me. I saw a little boy nearby & showed him where he could 'find' some treasure!

    I leave coins on the ground, but I've dropped coupons & scooted them with my foot until I found someone to pick them up.
    I carry grabbers & also worry about dropping my keys with the grabbers locked inside my car!

    I hope to tie my shoes - someday (or year)!
    Been there and done that several times! Dropped keys with nobody around to help and grabber in car! I now carry a bent up wire coat hanger in my purse for that purpose.
    Pam, age 49
    Thoracolumbar curves 80 and 40 corrected to 20 degrees
    April 20, 2012 surgery with Dr. Lenke
    T-3 to sacrum

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •