Bathroom question, sorry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bathroom question, sorry

At 6 months out, I still need to use my wipe assistive device. It works, I'm used to it, but it's a pain! I have to carry with my wherever I go (thank goodness for purses). How long is this going to go on? I am fused T3 to sacrum and I still have a lot of shoulder pain and stiffness. I'm hoping that will improve with time and then I won't need the device. I only use it for the back anyway. Any time frame guidance out there?
    T4-Sacrum fusion, with pelvic fixation in January 2015, Dr. Lonner in NYC
    10 osteotomies, rotation from 25 to 2
    Diagnosed at age 11 with double curve, 36 and 45 degrees, Braced for 2.5 years
    At time of surgery, curves were 45 and 65 degrees
    Chronic back pain, worsening, since age 11
    Tried every pain management procedure, acupuncture, chiropractor, physical therapy ever created
    Mom of 2 cuties!

I still use the wipe assist for butt wipes and I am over 2 years out from my original surgery. I can reach the front OK.
    Over time, I did find that there seemed to be a little bit of loosening of everything and I had slight flexibility in reaching. I think that the important part of the equation is the length of your arms relative to the length of your torso. I have short arms...or a long torso, but at any rate, I will probably need to use the reacher forever. I also need to stand to do my bathroom hygiene.

In the scheme of life.....for me, that's small potatoes.

Susan
    Last edited by susancook; 07-07-2015, 01:51 AM.
    Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
    2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
    2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
    2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
    2018: Removal L4,5 screw
    2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Also try one arm compared to the other. Sometimes I can resubmitted with my non dominate arm. And like Susan try changing position.
      T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
      C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
      T2--T10 fusion 2/11
      C 4-5 fusion 11/14
      Right scapulectomy 6/15
      Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
      To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
      Broken neck 9/28/2018
      Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
      Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
      Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
      Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
      Osteotomy

Comment

Any other ideas on this issue? It's actually starting to upset me to think that for the rest of my life I will need to use a tool to help me wipe myself in the back! It's a constant reminder of the surgery and limitations created by it. If anyone has any ideas or would share what works for them, I'd be so grateful. My physical therapist has no advice to give me on this and I don't know who else to turn to for help. Help!
        Tried every pain management procedure, acupuncture, chiropractor, physical therapy ever created
        Mom of 2 cuties!

Comment

I was still using long handled tongs at 6 months post-op. I don't remember when I no longer needed it, but I know it was less than a year.
          Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
          Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
          70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
          Rib Hump-GONE!
          Age-60 at the time of surgery
          Now 66
          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
          Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
          Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
          tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
          http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Thanks for sharing your info. I will now begin my arm lengthening exercises....lol.
            Mom of 2 cuties!

Comment

Working...
            X