revision number 5 ,an unusual fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jackie,
    It is so good to hear from you. Best of luck with your recovery and physical therapy.
    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
    Rib Hump-GONE!
    Age-60 at the time of surgery
    Now 66
    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Thanks to all for the good wishes. I had a really rough day on day 3. It was the pain medication again. I had the 25 fentanyl patch. It worked ok last time, but not this time. After 12 plus hours of vomiting, I had to take it off and 2 hours later I was fine. I wasn't sure how painful this type of surgery would be but so far it isn't too bad. I have not met anyone who had part of the scapula removed. The doctor said he has only did this surgery one other time so I didn't have too much to go on. So far it is ok as long as I don't move it. And I am not to move the shoulder yet so it is ok without pain meds. We don't know if it will work as I hope it does. However the doctor was able to move it well during surgery and with a lot of PT hopes that I will be able to move it better.
      I also can't believe how well I was treated at the University of Chicago hospital. It was so different then any where else I have been. It was a great experience to be treated with that level of care.
      T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
      C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
      T2--T10 fusion 2/11
      C 4-5 fusion 11/14
      Right scapulectomy 6/15
      Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
      To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
      Broken neck 9/28/2018
      Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
      Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
      Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
      Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
      Osteotomy

Comment

I am so glad that things are going well for you. I m happy that you're receiving good care while in the hospital . How much longer are you in the hospital and then where are you going?

Melissa
        Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Doing well so far but I won't know if this surgery helped f or awhile yet. The doctor is hopeful but of course no guarantees. I only was in the hospital one day but came real close to having to go back. I had another pain med problem. EVERY time. It hasn't been too bad with out any meds but Tylenol. It will probably be hard when I have to begin moving it. That is a few weeks away. We will see.
          T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
          C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
          T2--T10 fusion 2/11
          C 4-5 fusion 11/14
          Right scapulectomy 6/15
          Broken neck 9/28/2018
          Osteotomy

Comment

No meds? You’re a tough one Jackie.....

When I went into PT for my shoulder, I had a really good therapist.....and they are gentle in the beginning with the movement. My shoulder therapy was a positive experience and it really helped with the back. I liked it so much that I wanted to continue on since it helped so much......

Its where I learned that the arms are connected to the back. (smiley face)

I would recommend this type of therapy for scoliosis patients even if there are no shoulder issues. The arm bike is great!

Ed
            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

I had my first after surgery follow-up yesterday. My granddaughter took me and it was a nice day with her. The surgeon is pleased so far. He explained that he took about a quarter of the right shoulder blade off. The shoulder is not dropped as much as before surgery. I am not leaning as much to the right. So far so good. I can begin moving it while laying on my back. It still has to be in a sling when I am up and moving. No PT yet. It looks good and is not too painful. It seems as if this unusual fix has helped.
              Also, after 4 years of complaining that my shoulder was getting stuck it is nice too ha e hope that it will move more normally.

I am still disappointed in my spine team for not trying to help me find the answer until i couldn't move it. Their treatment was certainly not professional. I see one of them next week for a follow-up from my cervical surgery in November and hope today discuss my disappointment with him. The shoulder blade was trapped on 3 of my deformed ribs and I feel they could have tried go help find the solution go this problem.The shoulder doctor was the one who sent me go the University of Chicago. He is the one who listened too the problem.
              T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
              C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
              T2--T10 fusion 2/11
              C 4-5 fusion 11/14
              Right scapulectomy 6/15
              Broken neck 9/28/2018
              Osteotomy

Comment

I am glad that your surgery seems to be going well. I hope that it will continue to do so.
                Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

how to complain to your spine doctor

Has anyone had a complain visit with there doctors. My complaints stem from not listening and helping me get to the right solution for my problem. This trapped scapula started after the thoracic hardware was placed. I know the exact move I made the first time it happened. It led to 4 years of a trapping problem until I could no longer make my arm move properly. I went in to the surgeon many times and got meds and PT. After my last cervical surgery the scapula would not move. That time PT could not release it. Today I see the spine surgeon for a follow-up on the cervical surgery and I want to talk to him about this problem and listening to his patients.
                  I am now three weeks out from the unusual fix to the rib hump problem. It looks good but still very early to say that it worked.
                  I just want to know how to complain!
                  T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                  C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                  T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                  C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                  Right scapulectomy 6/15
                  Broken neck 9/28/2018
                  Osteotomy

Comment

up date

Hi to all. 5 weeks out of scapula partial removal surgery and so far everything is going well. It is wonderful to have an answer to this problem. I know this is a spine forum but this disruption of scapula movement came from deformed ribs that came from scoliosis.
                    Ed or Linda or friends have you ever known of this way of helping with the rib deformity of scoliosis? I know this is not a common surgery because of the way everyone acts about it. In 3 weeks I will start the PT to begin recovery of movement.
                    My scoliosis spine doctor's reaction was "this is beyond me". He was amazed that my shoulders are now balanced because my right shoulder blade can move across the rib deformity. This entrapment happened after thoracic fusion . It took 4 years of the scapula snapping across the ribs to trap it down and out of position.
                    At my spine doctor follow-up visit, the entire staff was in awe of the difference. Of course no one thought I would have twenty five percent of the scapula removed. I did speak to them(doctor included) about my disappointment in their attitude towards me when I began to have so much trouble with this at the beginning of this year. Not that it could be prevented but that they did not understand how much it was affecting my balance that was affecting my spine fusion. But now my spine surgeon knows and he knows that I was disappointed when he just told me to get use to being unbalanced. The office visit ended on a good understanding between us. My recent cervical fusion looks good.
                    T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                    C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                    T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                    C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                    Right scapulectomy 6/15
                    Broken neck 9/28/2018
                    Osteotomy

Comment

Originally posted by jackieg412 View Post
                      Hi to all. 5 weeks out of scapula partial removal surgery and so far everything is going well. It is wonderful to have an answer to this problem. I know this is a spine forum but this disruption of scapula movement came from deformed ribs that came from scoliosis.
                      Ed or Linda or friends have you ever known of this way of helping with the rib deformity of scoliosis? I know this is not a common surgery because of the way everyone acts about it. In 3 weeks I will start the PT to begin recovery of movement.
                      My scoliosis spine doctor's reaction was "this is beyond me". He was amazed that my shoulders are now balanced because my right shoulder blade can move across the rib deformity. This entrapment happened after thoracic fusion . It took 4 years of the scapula snapping across the ribs to trap it down and out of position.
                      At my spine doctor follow-up visit, the entire staff was in awe of the difference. Of course no one thought I would have twenty five percent of the scapula removed. I did speak to them(doctor included) about my disappointment in their attitude towards me when I began to have so much trouble with this at the beginning of this year. Not that it could be prevented but that they did not understand how much it was affecting my balance that was affecting my spine fusion. But now my spine surgeon knows and he knows that I was disappointed when he just told me to get use to being unbalanced. The office visit ended on a good understanding between us. My recent cervical fusion looks good.
                      Jackie... Glad to hear that you're feeling like you finally have some understanding. I can honestly say I've never heard of anything like it before. I wonder if your surgeon is thinking of publishing a case study. Would love to read it.

--Linda
                      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I am not sure about that but it was done at a teaching hospital in Chicago. He is a professor there and he told me it is the second time he has done this operation. I knew it was not a common approach to the problem but in his surgical notes he made mention of the fact that the spine doctors were not willing to do a thoracoplasty. So I feel he was sure it was from a rib deformity and involving ribs 3,4 and 5. I wonder if he made mention of that so that Medicare would pay. While I am not positive I think they will not pay willingly if it is experimental.
                        I see the surgeon on September 1 for my second follow-up and I think he will increase the PT. My therapist is actually going to the appointment with me because he has never heard of this being done. I really want to do this right as it has been such a bother. I knew it wasn't the usual when the preoperative nurse(20 year veteran), the anesthesiologist, my spine surgeon, my shoulder surgeon , the people I work with at the community hospital and now you have never heard of this.
                        I guess it brings up the fact that there are 2 ways to skin a cat. Or in this---- there are 2 ways to fix the problem.
                        If you get time mention it to your team of people. Thank you for listening!
                        T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                        C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                        T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                        C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                        Right scapulectomy 6/15
                        Broken neck 9/28/2018
                        Osteotomy

Comment

Bless your heart! Is it common to require more than one revision? I had my original surgery fairly young and had a revision. After reading all these posts of numerous surgeries I am a bit frightened my surgery was not the end of my scoliosis treatments.

Comment

It does seem that a lot of adult surgeries need revision. And the young ones need the lumbar fused at a older age. Some of mine were because of different problems. I was first fused t10-pelvis but fractured through t-9 at six days out of surgery. So then I had extension to t2. This last surgery (removal of part of my scapula) was because the scapula got trapped under a rib deformity left over from scoliosis . It is an unusual fix for the problem. It is going well but still early in the healing process. Hopefully when I start PT in a few weeks I will be able to recover it.
                            T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                            C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                            T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                            C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                            Right scapulectomy 6/15
                            Broken neck 9/28/2018
                            Osteotomy

Comment

I'm glad you opened up to your spine surgeon. It sounds like it was beneficial to you both. Best of luck with your continuing recovery and thanks for posting about it because you probably won't be the last patient to have this problem and it's all here for posterity!
                              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Thanks for all the good wishes. It is important to post a little of the unusual. The talk with my spine team was good for me and them. I needed to be sure that I was being taken seriously about how much this trapped scapula was a problem. It is still looking good but no PT for another week.
                                T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                                C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                                T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                                C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                                Right scapulectomy 6/15
                                Broken neck 9/28/2018
                                Osteotomy

Comment

Working...
                                X