Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I take one Oxy just so I can make it thru my son's high school graduation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I take one Oxy just so I can make it thru my son's high school graduation?

So last night was his academic awards night, inside in the auditorium and semi cushion chairs. I lasted sitting wiggling and moving around for about 40 minutes and walked around for about 25 minutes then I had to beg my husband to take me home so I could lay down. I left my son at his high school senior awards night because I just couldn't take the pain. I am at seven weeks post-op as of tomorrow, I took three extra strength Tylenol that's 1500 mg before I left and it did absolutely no good. He is graduating on June 26 and it's going to be a much more uncomfortable chair and a much longer ceremony. I am scared to death that I'm going to have to go lay down in my husbands car and miss my sons high school high school graduation. How bad would it be for me to take one of my fast acting oxycodones just so I can make it through the ceremony?
    Cathy
    2 sons, one Syracuse University graduate (working for the Mets now), one college sophomore, one great husband and two fabulous cats
    54 years old March 5
    AIS 45 degrees Thoracic at 14, Milwaukee brace for one year in 1977 then in 2012 I found Dr. Baron Lonner ❤️
    Surgery April 8 2015
    Presurgical curves T77 L66
    Post surgical T27 L22
    Fused T3-S1 pelvic fixation, osteotomies and all the other stuff but you know what? It's done...

I'm 7 months out and I've occasionally taken a fast acting oxy if I'm having a real bad day
    30 something y.o.

2003 - T45, L???
    2005 - T50, L31
    bunch of measurements between...

2011 - T60, L32
    2013 - T68, L?

Posterior Fusion Sept 2014 -- T3 - L3
    Post - op curve ~35

Comment

Cathy, even after 6 years I cannot make it through anything that requires sitting like that. So I choose my space so I can get up and down without bothering anyone else. It takes planning and choosing but I do it. I even choose my space in church so I keep my right leg extended. If it too crowded, I stand.
      Taking one of anything is ok too. You are very early yet but even after time not everyone finds everything easy to do. Adapt is the way to go!
      T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
      C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
      T2--T10 fusion 2/11
      C 4-5 fusion 11/14
      Right scapulectomy 6/15
      Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
      To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
      Broken neck 9/28/2018
      Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
      Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
      Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
      Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
      Osteotomy

Comment

Originally posted by cathydrew View Post
        So last night was his academic awards night, inside in the auditorium and semi cushion chairs. I lasted sitting wiggling and moving around for about 40 minutes and walked around for about 25 minutes then I had to beg my husband to take me home so I could lay down. I left my son at his high school senior awards night because I just couldn't take the pain. I am at seven weeks post-op as of tomorrow, I took three extra strength Tylenol that's 1500 mg before I left and it did absolutely no good. He is graduating on June 26 and it's going to be a much more uncomfortable chair and a much longer ceremony. I am scared to death that I'm going to have to go lay down in my husbands car and miss my sons high school high school graduation. How bad would it be for me to take one of my fast acting oxycodones just so I can make it through the ceremony?
        Everything in life is about priorities. Your son's graduation is a priority. Take whatever drugs you need. Maybe sit at the back or somewhere you can stand for a while. Sitting for long periods is the pits! Taking three X-strength Tylenol is not a good idea, especially if you do this on a regular basis. It's not too hard to damage your liver with this stuff.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3976991.html
        Before 39* lumbar at age 18, progressed to 74* lumbar and 22* thoracic age 55
        ALIF Jan 13, 2015, PLIF Jan 15, 2015 with Dr William Stevens, Honor Health
        Fused T-7 to S-1 with pelvic fixation

After 38* lumbar

Xrays
        Before: http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...7&d=1414268930

After: http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...6&d=1424894360

Comment

I'd take anything I need...

Originally posted by cathydrew View Post
          I am at seven weeks post-op as of tomorrow, I took three extra strength Tylenol that's 1500 mg before I left and it did absolutely no good.
          Cathy, I am at 6 weeks today and can't begin to imagine sitting for long periods of time... Do anything you need as far as medications so you can see your son graduating... That's a major milestone. Loretta
          39 years old, 2 children, suffering from scoliosis since the age of 12.
          Lumbar curve 55 degrees, 4 herniated disks and 2 small fractures - after surgery only 20 degree curve - Fusion T10-L4
          Surgery on 4/21/15 with Dr. Gjolaj @ (UM) Jackson Memorial Hospital, Miami, FL

Comment

I agree, Cathy. Take what you need to attend your son's graduation.
            Are you concerned that you'll have to wean yourself off or become too dependent on pain killers? As others have said, it's reasonable to take an occasional pain pill. After being off narcotics for 2 months, it was really hard to take that 1st one, again. I kept viewing it as a failure, but necessary - such irrational thinking.
            Enjoy this milestone in your son's life - congrats!
            Peg
            61 yrs old
            75 degree lumbar curve with thoracic kyphosis
            T3 - S1 surgery with Dr. Buchowski in St. Louis, on 10/27/14
            Working on healing in Columbus, Ohio!

Comment

Working...
            X