No announcement yet.

3 1/2 weeks Post-Op

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi congrats on being three months out, I had mine a week before you. I've been in the pool since the end of May it's amazing. I still get head rushes when I stand up from laying down or reclining, and I've been off meds since Memorial Day (take an occasional Oxy 5mg) I'm not sure the light-headedness is painkiller related, but yeah I wish it would stop. Not sure why you feel you still need the walker tho, unless your legs are real weak, what did doc say about it? I've been to physical therapy for a few weeks now, it's hard but it's necessary. Don't push too hard! The best is the massage :-)
    Cathy
    2 sons, one Syracuse University graduate (working for the Mets now), one college sophomore, one great husband and two fabulous cats
    54 years old March 5
    AIS 45 degrees Thoracic at 14, Milwaukee brace for one year in 1977 then in 2012 I found Dr. Baron Lonner ❤️
    Surgery April 8 2015
    Presurgical curves T77 L66
    Post surgical T27 L22
    Fused T3-S1 pelvic fixation, osteotomies and all the other stuff but you know what? It's done...

Comment

"I have been very dizzy when getting up and laying down lately, hope that will pass."

I had severe dizziness for weeks and couldn't get any answers from my GP or the surgeon (who doesn't answer emails and you can't speak to him on the phone!) That was the worst part of it of my recovery. I was very scared about what it might indicate. But, quite suddenly, it stopped and has never come back. Just wanted to let you know this, to give you hope that it will pass.
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Cathy I am still using the walker because my left leg is very weak And can't seem to move it without some support. The Doctor says it should improve with the physio.
        Cathy and Jennifer thanks for replying, I feel better there are others that went through this dizzy time. My Doctors also don't have an answer for it.
        So hopefully it will clear it self up.
        Marianne
        Marianne
        rotoscoliosis, subluxation and spinal stenosis
        Surgery April 15, 2015 at age 67
        T11-L5
        Decompression with multiple discectomies
        Concord cages @ L2-3, L3-4, L4-5
        Osteotomies and local bone grafting
        Revision Feb.22, 2018
        Replaced rods
        Took out L5 disk to free up nerves
        Used BPM to help with fusing
        Fused T10-S1 with screws in pelvis

Comment

I experienced dizziness for the first 3 months - upon standing up & laying down. It only lasted a few seconds, but I had to brace myself & wait for the short spells to pass. The best explanation I received was that the dizziness was related to changes in my blood pressure when I changed positions. The dizziness just went away on it's own - probably because my body was getting over the shock of such a major surgery.
          Peg
          61 yrs old
          75 degree lumbar curve with thoracic kyphosis
          T3 - S1 surgery with Dr. Buchowski in St. Louis, on 10/27/14
          Working on healing in Columbus, Ohio!

Comment

Originally posted by Marianne View Post
            I don't know how Ed and some of you could have gone through this on your own.
            Marianne
            I don’t know either. Willpower and fight for survival, that’s why I always call immediate recovery “survival mode”.

Long pause.........

But the good news is that you made it through the hardest part......

Go easy on the PT......There are zillions of posts here about over doing things and paying the price.....

The dizzies take a while......For me about 6 months, and dizzy gets complicated when there are no inner ear problems......(Complicated means no answers, or proven answers.)

If I was dizzy, I would lay down. Don’t take that chance on a fall.

Hang in there

Ed
            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

5 months today

It has been 5 months since my surgery and I do feel I have improved a lot since coming home from the hospital.
              But thought I would have a lot less pain then I do, I am still taking 2 oxycodone pms 10mg a day one in the morning and one at night and that is only taking the edge off most days. Tried cutting out one and taking the brakethrough 5mg ones but that did not work for me somy doctor said to go back to the10mg.
              My walking has not improved much with the Physio although my core strength is a lot better.
              My left thigh is still numb. Is there any one else that remembers being numb for this long?
              I still need to use a cane.
              I really don't mean to complain as there are so many of you that are much worse off then me.
              I guess like others in my age group I will also be in the 2 year recovery plan!
              Marianne
              T11-L5
              Revision Feb.22, 2018
              Replaced rods

Comment

Originally posted by Marianne View Post
                It has been 5 months since my surgery and I do feel I have improved a lot since coming home from the hospital.
                But thought I would have a lot less pain then I do, I am still taking 2 oxycodone pms 10mg a day one in the morning and one at night and that is only taking the edge off most days. Tried cutting out one and taking the brakethrough 5mg ones but that did not work for me somy doctor said to go back to the10mg.
                My walking has not improved much with the Physio although my core strength is a lot better.
                My left thigh is still numb. Is there any one else that remembers being numb for this long?
                I still need to use a cane.
                I really don't mean to complain as there are so many of you that are much worse off then me.
                .I guess like others in my age group I will also be in the 2 year recovery plan!
                Marianne, Welcome to the 2 year plan!!!! Everything that you have said sounds normal.....whatever that is for us older folks. There is no one way to do recovery from such a huge surgery, especially for us older folks who are amazingly spry, but still have some degeneration problems. Your walking will improve, just keep getting out and walking. Two-three times a day is better than one big walk. Just keep walking. Cain? Great! Use whatever you need to keep walking. If you find that a cane works forever to keep you more steady and SAFE when walking, so be it.

Worried about "complaining"? No worries....this forum is the perfect place to do so. Reframe it as "sharing your concerns".

Congratulations on a successful surgery! You have joined an elite group of survivors!

Susan....now using crutches and wheelchair which is better than just wheelchair!
                Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
                2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
                2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
                2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
                2018: Removal L4,5 screw
                2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Thanks Susan, happy to hear everything sounds normal for someone our age. Even though we feel younger then we are....lol. I guess our body needs longer to heal and strengthen after this surgery then the young ones.
                  Hope you are getting stronger each week as well.
                  Marianne
                  T11-L5
                  Revision Feb.22, 2018
                  Replaced rods