Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Terrible neck , shoulder and upper thoracic pain!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, I hate to hear that you have another surgery in your future. I will send you an email.
    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
    Rib Hump-GONE!
    Age-60 at the time of surgery
    Now 66
    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

SO sorry to hear about another surgery, Linda. Dr. Lenke referred me to Dr. Daniel Riew (pronounced Ru) for cervical issues and I meet him almost 2 years ago. Dr. Riew moved to NYC with Dr. Lenke. While a local cervial doc had me terrified that my cervial was in horrible shape, Dr. Riew assured me that I was not at the surgical stage yet. Perhaps you can get Dr. Riew's opinion too? I know travel is not easy, but a second opinion is crucial with major surgeries. Prayers!
      44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
      Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
      2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

Had mylagram Jan. 5th! Ouch!!! Big Ouch!!!!

Hi everyone,
        I got back from seeing Dr. Gupta. He looked at the mylogram and told me he would have
        to do two surgeries . First on my neck and then on my back. When he's done I will be fused from my sacrum (S3) to C4. I will have some move meant in my neck. ( 50%). He will go through the front and then the back of my neck for the first surgery. He said it will take approx. 8 hrs. I was surprised so long. And I was told this is a very painful surgery. ( aren't they all?)
        But anyway, afterI recover from my neck surgery, he will go in and fix the brokenn rods in my back. That will be a big surgery too. But he is going to have his assistant call me with a date and explain more to me about the surgeries.
        All in all I am looking at a couple years recovery. There isn't any way around it if I don't want to end up in a wheel chair and my neck will keep on collapsing till my chin is on my chest completely. I can't lift my head up now. So it's time.And like I said earlier in a post, the discs in my neck are punching off my spinal cord plus the blood flow. So I'm a mess! Not to mention painful. I think I'm probably looking at middle of March for surgery..
        I really would like any input from you fine people. Any help and support would be great!!! I will keep you posted on the date and information about this surgery. Hope you are all getting along alright. I know there's a few struggling pretty bad out there. I'll keep you in my prayers! Sending my best to a bunch of very strong people on this forum. Truly, Linda
        Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
        Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
        This started adult onset scoliosis
        July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
        Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
        Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
        May 30th 2013 revision
        May 8th cervicle surgery 2016
        May 31st Dr. Gupta revision 2017

Comment

You will be ok. You can function with all of those levels fused. Actually the cervical surgery isn't as painful as the spine. Once you are off of the nerves, you actually feel better.Keep yourself strong.
          T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
          C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
          T2--T10 fusion 2/11
          C 4-5 fusion 11/14
          Right scapulectomy 6/15
          Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
          To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
          Broken neck 9/28/2018
          Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
          Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
          Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
          Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
          Osteotomy

Comment

Linda,
            I am so sorry for the pain you have and the fact that you will need two more surgeries. It doesn't sound like you have a choice so focus on the long term results of getting back to a normal life with less pain. Stay strong! You have my prayers and support.
            Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
            Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
            70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
            Rib Hump-GONE!
            Age-60 at the time of surgery
            Now 66
            Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
            Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
            Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
            Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
            tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
            http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Linda, I guess that the bright side of all of this is that there is a competent surgeon who will do his best to fix you. My biggest fear with my first surgery was that my surgeon would say, "there is nothing that I can do". I wish you the best. Sending good thoughts your way. Susan
              Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
              2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
              2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
              2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
              2018: Removal L4,5 screw
              2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Originally posted by golfnut View Post
                Linda,
                I am so sorry for the pain you have and the fact that you will need two more surgeries. It doesn't sound like you have a choice so focus on the long term results of getting back to a normal life with less pain. Stay strong! You have my prayers and support.
                I want to say thanks Karen for all your replying. You have been here through a lot with me since we met in that X-ray room in (I believe in 2012). I will keep you updated and also good luck on your 5 yr. check up
                with Dr. Gupta. I'v seen him twice and he seems very competent. I still don't have a surgery date as he is still studying my case. Take good care~~Linda
                Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
                May 30th 2013 revision

Comment

Originally posted by susancook View Post
                  Linda, I guess that the bright side of all of this is that there is a competent surgeon who will do his best to fix you. My biggest fear with my first surgery was that my surgeon would say, "there is nothing that I can do". I wish you the best. Sending good thoughts your way. Susan
                  Hey Susan, I appreciate your post ,as I know if anyone knows how it is to keep having set backs, you do! I
                  truly can't explain it, but I am more nervous about these surgeries coming up than I was of the first one.
                  Could be that I'm aware of what's going to happen and that is pretty scary!! But I'll get through it, as you did! I just need to remember all your things you've been through, and then I need to toughen up and get strong like you . Hope things are doing well with rehab. Warm thoughts of you~~ Linda
                  May 30th 2013 revision

Comment

Originally posted by babyboomer16 View Post
                    Hey Susan, I appreciate your post ,as I know if anyone knows how it is to keep having set backs, you do! I
                    truly can't explain it, but I am more nervous about these surgeries coming up than I was of the first one.
                    Could be that I'm aware of what's going to happen and that is pretty scary!! But I'll get through it, as you did! I just need to remember all your things you've been through, and then I need to toughen up and get strong like you . Hope things are doing well with rehab. Warm thoughts of you~~ Linda
                    Linda, there is a part of me that is pessimistic because I figure, so-o-o-o much has gone wrong! Every time I think that I am "fixed", I am not. My biggest problem is my spinal cord injury, and my recovery from it. So much physical therapy!

Sure, surgery is scary. But, then, what's the alternative? Live like we are? Or place your faith in an experienced surgeon?

Hoping that you find relief from your pain and neck problems.

Susan
                    Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
                    2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
                    2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
                    2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
                    2018: Removal L4,5 screw
                    2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Hello........I am new to this forum and website.........and I apologize but i did not read all the replies here......but your heading last May made me want to ask.......Linda, could you be 'allergic' to the implants in you??? I have two very long stainless steel rods in my back and i have SEVERE pain day/night. In two weeks i am having the rods replaced with titanium because i am indeed 'allergic' to the stainless steel (of which, I did not know my doctor was going to use) (I would have told him not to because i knew I was allergic, but they never asked).
                      I hope things look up for you soon!

sincerely

Carol

Comment

Good luck Carol.

Linda, you've been through the mill but you're not yet crushed. Perhaps in a way it's good that there's no choice about this surgery, otherwise you'd be sleepless going backwards and forwards. There is the probability of a better life to come once you're healed from this surgery so this gives you something to look forward to. Keep thinking past the surgery, to the better life to come. I hope you have plenty of loving family and friends to support you through this. Thinking of you and best of luck!
                        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
                          Good luck Carol.

Linda, you've been through the mill but you're not yet crushed. Perhaps in a way it's good that there's no choice about this surgery, otherwise you'd be sleepless going backwards and forwards. There is the probability of a better life to come once you're healed from this surgery so this gives you something to look forward to. Keep thinking past the surgery, to the better life to come. I hope you have plenty of loving family and friends to support you through this. Thinking of you and best of luck!
                          Jennifer, I want to thank you for your post of encouragement. I felt much better after I read it. I do know I will,hopefully, feel better than I do now. I just need to try to get rid of this panicky feeling when I think about two more huge surgeries. I'm not a wimp, but after many surgeries, I am hoping my getting through them,with no big complications, holds out.!! Anyway, I will keep you posted. Sincerely,Linda
                          May 30th 2013 revision

Comment

Hi all,
                            I finally got my surgery date for my Neck Surgery first. It's May 9th, at Washington University, by Dr. Gupta. He will go through the front of my neck first to replace a couple discs and then go through the back of my neck and fuse C1 thru C7. All this will take around eight hours. Then after six months , if it has fused, he will fix my broken rods in my back. I just pray I survive all this,again,with no complications.
                            Thanks to all of you for being the great people you are. You know what these big surgeries are all about, and you all make me feel much better. God Bless! Linda
                            May 30th 2013 revision

Comment

Good luck linda
                              Kara
                              Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
                              Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
                              T4-L2
                              Before 50T
                              After 20T

Comment

Wow Linda, I don’t know what to say other than that I have read your post around 10 times now....

Thinking of you...

Ed
                                49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                                Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                                ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                                Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Working...
                                X