Dr. Hey no longer a MediCare provider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. Hey no longer a MediCare provider

I'm looking for a private surgeon to do my fusion to sacrum, so I contacted the Hey Clinic as I'm willing to travel. Unfortunately, like many other private spinal surgeons I've contacted, he is not taking MediCare and is NOT a MediCare provider. I'm told Medicare does not pay doctors very much. Don't know how you would pay for your surgery upfront unless you have a lot of spare money lying around. The other doctor I wanted to operate on me in NYC also does not take MediCare. This is frustrating.
    Also, as a side note, Dr. Hey is being sued by a patient who herself is a doctor; apparently he placed some homemade/altered hardware in her and it failed. This was not for Scoliosis though. She is also suing the hardware company for off-label use.
    1st surgery: Fused T1-L3 in 1987 with contoured Harrington Rods. Rods broke at top.
    2nd surgery: Re-done two weeks later; fused C7-L3. Left in chronic pain.
    3rd surgery: Hardware removal 1997, but still pain for 30 years.
    4th Surgery: Fused to the sacrum in 2016. Came out of surgery with left foot paralysis. (Drop Foot) Can't walk on my own.
    I'm blessed to have found my peace and reason to live not from a husband or kids (I have none) but from God and within myself.

Please be careful about talking about lawsuits against surgeons without providing more detail. Pedicle screws were off label for many years. The manufacturers and many surgeons were sued regarding this issue, despite the fact that they are now considered the gold standard. I just want to be certain we don't discredit a surgeon without adequate information.
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Oh, I'm sorry. I wasn't trying to discrediting him. I think he does great work and I was actually hoping to see him and wished that he took MediCare, but many private surgeons no longer are as MediCare doesn't pay the doctors enough. You really have to be part of a big health network in order to be able to afford to take MediCare patients.

Here is the link about the lawsuit:
      http://www.wral.com/raleigh-woman-su...vice/14126447/
      1st surgery: Fused T1-L3 in 1987 with contoured Harrington Rods. Rods broke at top.
      2nd surgery: Re-done two weeks later; fused C7-L3. Left in chronic pain.
      3rd surgery: Hardware removal 1997, but still pain for 30 years.
      4th Surgery: Fused to the sacrum in 2016. Came out of surgery with left foot paralysis. (Drop Foot) Can't walk on my own.
      I'm blessed to have found my peace and reason to live not from a husband or kids (I have none) but from God and within myself.

Comment

Working...
      X