No announcement yet.

What was the background of you Surgeon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thank my lucky stars for Linda and Ed, and this forum. If you don't like/agree with what you read, fine. Move on then.

Linda, I wish you'd stop defending yourself <3 there are always going to be naysayers.

Please accept my sincere thanks for ALL YOU DO.

You too, Ed.
    Cathy
    2 sons, one Syracuse University graduate (working for the Mets now), one college sophomore, one great husband and two fabulous cats
    54 years old March 5
    AIS 45 degrees Thoracic at 14, Milwaukee brace for one year in 1977 then in 2012 I found Dr. Baron Lonner ❤️
    Surgery April 8 2015
    Presurgical curves T77 L66
    Post surgical T27 L22
    Fused T3-S1 pelvic fixation, osteotomies and all the other stuff but you know what? It's done...

Comment

Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
      Should this be a new thread?
      Good point Melissa.

Thanks for the support everyone, both publicly and through PM. Now, back to our regularly scheduled program.
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by moonglow View Post
        I am confused as to this forum. I thought it was for patients run by patients, but now I'm told it is run by a spinal researcher? That's fine with me, and I understand that the researcher is also a patient, but please make that clear to us at the top border of the website or something. This will avoid confusion in future. I do not understand when the moderator says : "And are you joking when you say I am only here as a moderator?" I thought she WAS the moderator? I've seen lots come here for emotional support and get lots of UNASKED for opinions full of medical stuff from Linda moderator or Ed, who posts on the revision forum even though he does not need a revision? This is not how a patient forum is supposed to be! I think they are over-doing it. For the record, any thread is supposed to be about the person who started the thread and should offer them support. Many people have been intimidated by all the medical advice here and now feel they have to ask permission to take a pill or have a surgery. This is a shame.
        Moonglow, I’m so sorry your are so confused.....

This whole scoliosis business is a very confusing thing and that’s why I post. After 40 years of battling scoliosis till it almost killed me, I think that all my trials and interests in the subject warrant some discussion, and its nice to be informed. It’s a shame that some posters will post “I was unaware, or I didn’t know” and this is something that bothers me. Maybe I was just lucky that I had my timing right and that my scoliosis decisions all panned out well.....I really feel for those that are in pain, and for those that need revision surgery. I wouldn’t want to be BLIND in this regard, and read all the revision posts here, since it is my business. Show me the proof that I won’t need a revision and I will stop posting in the revision section.

As far as taking pills is concerned, YES, you should ask for permission to take a pill. Lets hope it’s the right decision and that you do have a good doctor that knows what he is doing. If there are millions of people out there that are so concerned about what they eat, why shouldn’t we be that way when taking medications? Fine print is there for a reason, and doctors don’t explain all of that to patients. I have taken a fair amount of meds, some of them being blacklisted now....so yes, I ask questions.

As far as having surgery is concerned, for those that have the time and a choice to learn and at least be aware of what happens good and bad, its worth an ear without being defensive. Support is about giving assistance. If I say you will burn your hand on the stove, that is support, not a shame.

Linda works at UCSF which is probably the best hospital in the world......I don’t think that it needs to be announced at the top of the website, all you have to do is be active and you would know instead of coming here and posting irrational posts......

Ed
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

A sincere thanks to all the believers.......

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Thank you Ed for what you have done for me

Melissa
            Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Thanks to all who have helped me . I just had my fifth revision surgery. The last one was unusual and I welcome all info as we don't know what's next. Ed has been funny and a wonderful source of info that can help ask more questions to my medical team. Awhile back I spoke to him on the phone. He is understanding and kind. We learn from each other and use what we need.
              Let's be kind to one another. There is enough injustice in our world.
              T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
              C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
              T2--T10 fusion 2/11
              C 4-5 fusion 11/14
              Right scapulectomy 6/15
              Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
              To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
              Broken neck 9/28/2018
              Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
              Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
              Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
              Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
              Osteotomy

Comment

I'm not sure yet how to quote on a thread, but there is a question on this one asking if only MD's can read an ex ray. The answer to that is YES, they are radiologists. My ortho surgeon reads them too, But of coarse he is an MD. His assistant is never permitted to interpret them to me before he reads them. Gosh! I wish they would tell me what's going on before the doctor comes in.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie1955 View Post
                  I'm not sure yet how to quote on a thread, but there is a question on this one asking if only MD's can read an ex ray. The answer to that is YES, they are radiologists. My ortho surgeon reads them too, But of coarse he is an MD. His assistant is never permitted to interpret them to me before he reads them. Gosh! I wish they would tell me what's going on before the doctor comes in.
                  Jamie

I see you are new, welcome to the forum!

For quoting, use the quote button on the lower right. It starts a new box, just add your reply below it, then preview to make sure your are happy with it.

For a new thread, select area you want to post in from the "forum" button, then select new thread in the upper left area.

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                    Jamie I see you are new, welcome to the forum! For quoting, use the quote button on the lower right. It starts a new box, just add your reply below it, then preview to make sure your are happy with it. For a new thread, select area you want to post in from the "forum" button, then select new thread in the upper left area. Ed
                    thanks Mr. Ed, I think I figured it out. Thanks for explaining.

Comment

Working...
                    X