Two days til Surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two days til Surgery

Heading into NYC tomorrow afternoon...surgery Wednesday morning.
    I think I'm ready...
    Cathy
    2 sons, one Syracuse University graduate (working for the Mets now), one college sophomore, one great husband and two fabulous cats
    54 years old March 5
    AIS 45 degrees Thoracic at 14, Milwaukee brace for one year in 1977 then in 2012 I found Dr. Baron Lonner ❤️
    Surgery April 8 2015
    Presurgical curves T77 L66
    Post surgical T27 L22
    Fused T3-S1 pelvic fixation, osteotomies and all the other stuff but you know what? It's done...

Hi Cathy,
    I just wanted to wish you luck and let you know I am thinking of you this week. Have been reading some of your recent posts and I can totally relate to what you're going through. The anticipation in those last few weeks is the worst and then you just sort of settle in and "let it go." You've made a decision that is going to improve your quality of life forever, you have an excellent surgeon and you just kind of have to relinquish control. And that's really hard for most of us. I am so very, very thankful for the new lease on life that Dr. Lonner gave me and looking back, it was worth all the struggle, anxiety, fear and discomfort. Everyone is different and you may find your recovery is not as difficult as you anticipate. I know, it's good to be prepared for the worst case scenario but even with complications, I was singing a choral concert a little less than 3 months after my surgery. Stay positive, stay strong, don't be afraid to ask for help and know that all of your forum buddies are pulling for you. If there's anything I can do for you along the way in your recovery, please don't hesitate to contact me. Godspeed!

Anne in PA
    Age 58
    Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
    T4 to sacrum fusion
    63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
    Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
    Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

Thinking of you, Cathy & sending prayers.
      Peg
      61 yrs old
      75 degree lumbar curve with thoracic kyphosis
      T3 - S1 surgery with Dr. Buchowski in St. Louis, on 10/27/14
      Working on healing in Columbus, Ohio!

Comment

Cathy,
        I will be thinking of you on Wednesday. Anne said everything so well that have nothing to add. My recovery was much easier than I had anticipated, although it takes a lot of patience.
        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
        Rib Hump-GONE!
        Age-60 at the time of surgery
        Now 66
        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Cathy

Have your hubby post so we know how you are doing. Write down your username and password for him.

Your ready, you can do this....

Ed
          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Ann said it all really. Best of luck for a smooth journey.
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Cathy
              Thinking of you today,
              When you read this it will be all over. Wishing you all the best with your recovery.
              We know it will not be easy for the first while but like Ed always says " Deep Breaths it will get better"
              It will be my turn next Wednesday!
              Marianne
              rotoscoliosis, subluxation and spinal stenosis
              Surgery April 15, 2015 at age 67
              T11-L5
              Decompression with multiple discectomies
              Concord cages @ L2-3, L3-4, L4-5
              Osteotomies and local bone grafting
              Revision Feb.22, 2018
              Replaced rods
              Took out L5 disk to free up nerves
              Used BPM to help with fusing
              Fused T10-S1 with screws in pelvis

Comment

Hope all goes well.

It was good to hear from you Anne

Melissa
                Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Cathy, Sending healing thoughts your way.
                  Susan
                  Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
                  2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
                  2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
                  2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
                  2018: Removal L4,5 screw
                  2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

I did it! I freaking did it!

So here I am two weeks and one day out. I'm not going to get into details of what a horrible first night it was and how the morphine made me itch so badly that I had to grab the oxygen things off my face until it was all scratched up, or that they had to freaking restrain me which was no fun at all. I also am not going to talk about how horrible night nurses were at Beth Israel because the day nurses were fantastic and most of the night nurses were great. What I am going to talk about is what a great idea it was for my husband to get a night private care assistant to stay with me all night long the whole time I was in the hospital cash out-of-pocket. I also want to mention Dr. Lonner 's incredible team including his thoracic surgeon whose name I believe I cannot believe I forgot I think it might've been Kleinman, and his amazing plastic surgeon who enabled me to use my arms 90% of the way immediately by meticulously reattaching all the muscles whoever they belonged to. My husband and I are camped out in the living room me I am at a hospital bed which is fantastic because of the adjustability and he is just all over the big couch which is huge so he's comfortable too. I do want to mention the only complication that I had was the hip surgery my right hip where they screwed in the screw has given me more pain than the entire rest my body. After x-rays and sonograms and CAT scans nothing showed up which means it's just a bunch of bullshit I actually mean healing pain but it makes it very difficult to walk, sitting and standing are nearly impossible.
                    The bottom line is I keep looking at myself and thinking to myself I did it I finally did it the thing I have thought about for so many years the thing that has defined for me so many years . It's done.
                    Cathy
                    2 sons, one Syracuse University graduate (working for the Mets now), one college sophomore, one great husband and two fabulous cats
                    54 years old March 5
                    AIS 45 degrees Thoracic at 14, Milwaukee brace for one year in 1977 then in 2012 I found Dr. Baron Lonner ❤️
                    Surgery April 8 2015
                    Post surgical T27 L22
                    Fused T3-S1 pelvic fixation, osteotomies and all the other stuff but you know what? It's done...

Comment

Yea, Cathy! It sounds like you're semi-comfortable at home & that's a great place to be! I hope you can find relief for your hip - you'll soon be doing lots of walking! I'm approaching 6 months & sometimes I can't freaking believe I did it, either!
                      Peg
                      61 yrs old
                      75 degree lumbar curve with thoracic kyphosis
                      T3 - S1 surgery with Dr. Buchowski in St. Louis, on 10/27/14
                      Working on healing in Columbus, Ohio!

Comment

Cathy Congratulations!

They also tied me down so I guess I was a bad boy....that’s what everyone told me anyway. (smiley face)

Sitting is very difficult and it does take many of us a long time to get through the difficult sitting phase. It does improve but it takes a lot of time.

What happens when you stand? Where is the pain? How long are you standing? Can you walk 30 feet?

Easy does it....the first 6 weeks are hard for all of us and we have to stay strong.

Hang in there

Ed
                        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Hip

Hey Ed. Yes I can walk 30 feet I can make a whole circuit of my house. I can sit but it's incredibly uncomfortable even in the bathroom. The pain starts in the joint area and radiates down the leg the outside of which leg is numb. I can shower get to the bathroom withhelp change my clothes, all that but then all I want to do is go back and curl up in my bed usually panting like a dog. At this point even making an appointment and going to see the doctor is distinctly impossible. But I love my results and I love my pictures. Here's the after photo:
                          Attached Files
                          Cathy
                          54 years old March 5
                          Surgery April 8 2015
                          Post surgical T27 L22

Comment

Looks good. Life will get better
                            Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Your back looks amazing Cathy.

Everything will wear you out for a while. I slept 3 hours a day every day for 6 weeks, then eased off. I slept 12 hours at night and was still dopey and dozy during the day. But the time went so quickly. Sleep when your body tells you. It's the best way to heal and pass the time.

I think a short walk every day is good for your general well being, if you can. It will get better! You will be a completely different person in 3 months!
                              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
                              X