Thread: shoulder blade dropping

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

shoulder blade dropping

I have had several surgeries including cervical. In the last few months my right shoulder really started to drop. Yesterday the Dr told me ithat the "long thoracic nerve" has a palsy. I am to have an EMG on it . I hate them . Has anyone else had an EMG on that nerve? I am trying to imagine what that may be like. Has anyone else had that nerve effected?. It is causing my right shoulder to drop quickly. It causes the shoulder blade to get stuck. When that happens I have to have someone put it in place for me or it is painful.
    Linda, do you have any information on this?
    Last edited by jackieg412; 03-07-2015 at 02:29 AM.

Is that a C7 nerve root palsy? I've seen references to it, but never paid enough attention to really know anything about it. So sorry you got dealt yet another issue.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Dilbert
    I'm sarcastic... what's your super power? --Unknown
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you've signed up and are having trouble posting, please check your spam folder. An email was sent to the email address which you subscribed. You have to follow the instructions in that email. Done that and still having trouble posting? Contact Joe O'Brien at jpobrien@scoliosis.org.

The only info that I have is that nerve begins at c5-6-7. That PT is tried first and 6 months or so is allowed for the nerve to settle down. If it doesn't work and the shoulder stays like that then surgery may be indicated to help nerve function. The EMG and MRI help tell the extent of nerve involvement.

I am looking for someone to help with any information on shoulder blade issues. So far, the EMG showed that the long thoracic nerve is alright. The nerves to the muscles that control the shoulder blade are also alright. This is a very good thing as nerve damage is not reversible. The MRI showed some issues with the shoulder but minor and not in the area to cause the shoulder to drop down like this. I just had a CT scan last week to look under the shoulder blade for what ever is locking it and now preventing some movement . It has the shoulder drooping down a lot. The shoulder Dr said that the shoulder blade may have to be fused to the ribs to keep the shoulder in place. That I believe is the most extreme treatment. Hopefully it is a rib or growth under the blade that just needs to have adjustments. I live near Chicago and the Dr already said it would have to be at one of the large university hospitals. Has anyone had anything like this or been treated at one of these hospitals in Chicago ? With this so out of place it has created a big balance issue and if I don't hold it up when I walk it feels like it is being torn apart underneath. Very uncomfortable and getting worse. Ed please post anything you may know as you had a shoulder injury.

Jackie-- so sorry about your shoulder problem! I cannot help you with that at all. I did have my scoli surgery in Chicago, though -- at Rush University Medical Center. It has been ranked in the top 10, nationwide, ever since I've checked, for its orthopedic area. It's very nice and the nurses were excellent in their care. I never had to wait and I only had one grumpy nurse. They just remodeled a few years ago. Chris WBS had her scoli surgery at the University of Chicago. I don't remember how she said it was-- just that she liked her surgeon, Dr. Gupta, but I believe he left there even though he is still practicing in Chicago. We'd have to check on that and the reason. Anyway, my 11 day stay at Rush was memorable-- I even ordered Fannie May candies (similar to See's) for the staff at Christmas, 6 months after my surgery. They (the orthopedic wing staff, housekeeping on up) were great. (of course, that is just my opinion...)
    66 and still heartbroken...
    2007 52 w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior spinal fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15
    2014 DXd w/CMT (type 2)

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Thanks Susan, I do not know for sure at this point but I do think the referral will be to Rush. The doctors that are treating me are part of Dupage medical. And Rush has offices in their buildings. I will find out more on Wednesday and I am hoping that it will be an easy fix. The doctor did mention fusing the shoulder blade to the ribs but that must be the most extreme thing. It would be very debilitating. Right now the shoulder and blade are so out of place that I am fighting for balance. That is tiring and makes the spine sore. Either leaving it or fixing it seems to make it hard on me. And I was doing so well.