X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revision Surgery 3/11/15

Hi I'm new here but not new to the surgery unfortunately
    I had scoliosis harrington rod surgery in 1991 with Dr. David Levine at HSS
    I'm now in a lot of pain for 5+ months, unable to stand or walk for a long distance and have two young children.
    I'm having revision scoliosis surgery with Dr Baron Lonner for revision to my lower back to sacrum including putting screws in my neck area.
    Does anyone have a list of what to bring to the hospital? I did a search but the blogs mentioned no longer existed. thanks in advance

Welcome NYcutie!

I like Linda’s list but cant find it.... I have way........ too many scoliosis folders, its out of control. Its the old scoliosis links list

But here are 2 threads that might be helpful......
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...o+the+hospital

Some comedy in this one....lol
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...o+the+hospital

I thing the most important thing is a positive attitude, cell phone, inner circle, chapstick, a change of loose fitting clothes. Some hospitals don’t want you bringing down expensive items as they don’t want to be responsible for theft...

Be sure to report back when you can....

Glad you chimed in.....

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Here you go.
      Attached Files
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi! I am having my revision surgery the next week on March 20th in Oregon. Let's hope that it is our last surgery!!!!
        Susan
        Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
        2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
        2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
        2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
        2018: Removal L4,5 screw
        2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Originally posted by susancook View Post
          Hi! I am having my revision surgery the next week on March 20th in Oregon. Let's hope that it is our last surgery!!!!
          Susan
          yes definitely let's hope, good luck to you as well.

Comment

I just had surgery with Doctor Lonner about 5 weeks ago at Beth Israel hospital. Will you be going there?

These are my tips for what to bring:

1) Since it's impossible to twist to press the hospital bed controls, I had my husband bring me a dressing stick (or back scratcher, etc) so I could reach the controls. That was the best thing that could have happened! It made life so much easier. I used it to push the buttons on the arms of the bed.

2) a looong phone charger for your phone. I didn't use any other electronic device while I was there. You can use the clip on the nurse call button to clip the phone cord to so it stays handy.

3) ear plugs to sleep

4) Chapstick

5) a coat and shoes for your trip home. I had the shoes but hubby forgot the coat!

You won't be wearing any underwear for the whole time, so no need to bring those. You get to flash everyone! But it actually makes sense because you can't pull them up or down anyway.

I'd be happy to speak with you directly if you'd like!

Good luck!
            T4-Sacrum fusion, with pelvic fixation in January 2015, Dr. Lonner in NYC
            10 osteotomies, rotation from 25 to 2
            Diagnosed at age 11 with double curve, 36 and 45 degrees, Braced for 2.5 years
            At time of surgery, curves were 45 and 65 degrees
            Chronic back pain, worsening, since age 11
            Tried every pain management procedure, acupuncture, chiropractor, physical therapy ever created
            Mom of 2 cuties!

Comment

I wore a sweat out outfit when I got there at pre-op and took a pair of clean under wear to wear home.
              Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
                I wore a sweat out outfit when I got there at pre-op and took a pair of clean under wear to wear home.
                I'm with Melissa. I wore the same thing home as I wore to the hospital, with the exception of a clean pair of panties. I think the less you bring, the easier it will be, especially if you're not going to rehab. (if you go to rehab, you'll be in and out of bed a lot, and will probably be a lot more active.)
                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                  I'm with Melissa. I wore the same thing home as I wore to the hospital, with the exception of a clean pair of panties. I think the less you bring, the easier it will be, especially if you're not going to rehab. (if you go to rehab, you'll be in and out of bed a lot, and will probably be a lot more active.)
                  When I went to rehab, I had another suitcase that had items of clothing that I would need in rehab.
                  Melissa

Comment

Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
                    When I went to rehab, I had another suitcase that had items of clothing that I would need in rehab.
                    I just saw these responses now tyvm. I didn't know rehab is so common in surgery thats where i am now

Comment

Rehab?

NYCutie, Dr. Lonner sent you to rehab after surgery?
                      Cathy
                      2 sons, one Syracuse University graduate (working for the Mets now), one college sophomore, one great husband and two fabulous cats
                      54 years old March 5
                      AIS 45 degrees Thoracic at 14, Milwaukee brace for one year in 1977 then in 2012 I found Dr. Baron Lonner ❤️
                      Surgery April 8 2015
                      Presurgical curves T77 L66
                      Post surgical T27 L22
                      Fused T3-S1 pelvic fixation, osteotomies and all the other stuff but you know what? It's done...

Comment

Originally posted by cathydrew View Post
                        NYCutie, Dr. Lonner sent you to rehab after surgery?
                        Yes because it was revisional surgery thst included thoracic t1 to s1 and i wasnt progressing fast enough.

Comment

Rehab

I hope you're doing better, rehab sounds like it's helpful to a lot of people. Dr. Lonner never mentioned it to me, I wonder why. Did you go straight from surgery hospital to rehab? Where geographically is the rehab?
                          Cathy
                          2 sons, one Syracuse University graduate (working for the Mets now), one college sophomore, one great husband and two fabulous cats
                          54 years old March 5
                          AIS 45 degrees Thoracic at 14, Milwaukee brace for one year in 1977 then in 2012 I found Dr. Baron Lonner ❤️
                          Surgery April 8 2015
                          Presurgical curves T77 L66
                          Post surgical T27 L22
                          Fused T3-S1 pelvic fixation, osteotomies and all the other stuff but you know what? It's done...

Comment

Originally posted by cathydrew View Post
                            I hope you're doing better, rehab sounds like it's helpful to a lot of people. Dr. Lonner never mentioned it to me, I wonder why. Did you go straight from surgery hospital to rehab? Where geographically is the rehab?
                            For the first several spine surgeries that I had, I went to rehab . It was great. I had 4 hours a day of PT. When I went home, I felt great.

Then my husband switched jobs and insurance . This insurance did not cover rehab , only nursing facilities . So I went home.

Now he is starting a new job tomorrow with the same insurance that I had back in 2011. So I am hoping that when I have my knee surgery I can go to rehab. I feel that makes a big difference.
                            Melissa

Comment

Im in a nursing home i live here. Dr lonner didn't mention to me beforehand either but because he probably doesn't do such complex surgeries as often as mine. The rehab centers are all over so they ask u what county u live near and then the case worker finds you a place. Dr lonner's medical assistant is the one that recommend the f/t therapy.
                              Now he is starting a new job tomorrow with the same insurance that I had back in 2011. So I am hoping that when I have my knee surgery I can go to rehab. I feel that makes a big difference.[/QUOTE]

Comment

Working...
                              X