Well, in this era of 'evidence based medicine' being the great new thing, we will likely be seeing more of these kinds of studies than ever before. And insurance companies use these studies in deciding what they will and won't cover. Before my surgery, I found a document from one of the big insurance companies, and I couldn't believe how many studies they cited in their decision making process when certifying a scoli patient for surgery. We may think of insurance companies as being the bad guys, but they sort of have a role in preventing some of the surgery that is a really bad idea. And no, I don't work in insurance :-)

Of course, you have to look critically at the methodology and take them for what they are worth. But it's good for patients that they are trying to answer important questions. To me right now, the greatest enigma is why do some patients fuse and others have problems. If only they knew more about how to crack this nut. This will give me something to look up tonight when I can't sleep. Since I work for a University, I have full text access to medical journals.

I agree about the kyphosis being more problematic than plain scoli. I suspect that since I had lumbar kyphosis, that is why my correction is what it is. My surgeon told me his goal was BALANCE.

The studies also point the way to the future. My 30 yo daughter is a scoli, never had any treatment (her decision, doctor wanted to brace her and she refused). So I'm looking out for her too.