Shake Up at Wash U - St. Louis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shake Up at Wash U - St. Louis

Larry Lenke and at least two other Wash U spine surgeons are leaving Wash U to start practicing at Columbia. I'm guessing that patients have not yet been notified. Have heard multiple stories, so I'm unsure of the details at this point. Drs. Bridwell and Kelly will be staying in St. Louis.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Do you know about their pediatric partner, Scott Luhmann? That was Leah's surgeon.
    Gayle, age 50
    Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
    Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
    Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
    2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
    2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

I haven't heard his name in terms of staying or going. Will see if I can find out.
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Crazy, I just saw Dr. Lenke this week for an evaluation (mentioned it in my update to the other thread). Is there an expected date of when he may go to Columbia and start doing surgeries there?

Comment

I suspect it's soon, though I'm beginning to wonder. I'm surprised that they didn't tell you. I think I heard the first rumor about 3-6 months ago. It seems like all our docs (including residents and fellows) know about it, which makes me think it's imminent. The logistics of it all must be overwhelming. I think Lenke was booking surgeries out for a year.

--Linda

Comment

June!

Hi Linda!

I see Dr. Lehman and I found out today. He is one of the doctor's going with Dr. Lenke- around June is what the nurse said. Have a great weekend!

Lauren

Comment

Dr. Lenke is moving to New York?

Hi.
              I guess I am asking this to anyone that knows anything about Dr. Lenke. I saw on another post that Dr. Lenke will be moving from St. Louis to New York. Has anyone else heard anything on this subject? I can call too, but thought I'd throw it out on the forum first to see if anyone has heard this.
              I have to make an appt. for my two yr. check up with him for the last of May. Guess I'll know when I call. I hate that he may be going to New York, as St. Louis, from my tiny town in S. Dak., is far enough.!!! And I
              love Dr. Lenke.
              I have been looking forward to seeing him, as I have some issues that need addressed. I am still having lots of pain in my upper thoracic area and it radiates to my shoulders , halfway down my arms. Also, I am having trouble with pain in my neck. My head feels very heavy to hold up. And then there's the iliac screws that always feel like a two by four is nailed to my butt. So there it is in a hand bag. I hope I get to see Lenke one more time! Wishing everyone a good day. Warmly, Linda
              Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
              Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
              This started adult onset scoliosis
              July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
              Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
              Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
              May 30th 2013 revision
              May 8th cervicle surgery 2016
              May 31st Dr. Gupta revision 2017

Comment

Linda...

Sorry, I moved your post. There's really no reason to have multiple threads on the same topic.

--Linda

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                  Linda...

Sorry, I moved your post. There's really no reason to have multiple threads on the same topic.

--Linda
                  sorry Linda, I'v never looked at any of those misc. forums. So didn't see your post. I will have to start looking at this section more often. Thanks for making me aware of this. Linda
                  Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
                  May 30th 2013 revision

Comment

Hi Linda...

I think most of us pay no attention to the different forums. Instead, we use the "New Posts" hyperlink (upper left corner of the page). The result is a list of threads that have new posts from the last time you logged on.

--Linda

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                      I suspect it's soon, though I'm beginning to wonder. I'm surprised that they didn't tell you. I think I heard the first rumor about 3-6 months ago. It seems like all our docs (including residents and fellows) know about it, which makes me think it's imminent. The logistics of it all must be overwhelming. I think Lenke was booking surgeries out for a year.

--Linda
                      I guess I am surprised as well, unless they hadn't announced the decision yet to staff/others or it hasn't become official. No reason to tell me then. However, after my meeting with Dr. Lenke they did offer me surgery dates in August so that is a bit weird if they knew he was leaving, and perhaps in June as the other poster mentioned above.

Comment

My neuro-geneticist switched hospitals last fall and I only found out because my doctor reached out to personally tell me. He knew I'd be annoyed by the situation due to the fact the clinic he's moving to was the one I had left due to issues and was nice enough to give me a warning.

His office staff seemed unaware somehow -- his sectary when she called ( about 2 months after I had been personally told about the switch) to cancel my last scheduled appointment at his old hospital had no idea when he was supposed to switch. I told her what I knew but thought it was weird she didn't know. So it may just be that some of the staff aren't aware...
                        30 something y.o.

2003 - T45, L???
                        2005 - T50, L31
                        bunch of measurements between...

2011 - T60, L32
                        2013 - T68, L?

Posterior Fusion Sept 2014 -- T3 - L3
                        Post - op curve ~35

Comment

I called Dr. Lenke's medical assistant today to schedule an Appt. sometime in May for my two year check up. I mentioned I heard Dr. Lenke was leaving and she almost flipped. She said they had just found out!! And she was almost in tears. She said that he has asked the staff to go along(medical staff) and of course she told me she just couldn't move and uproot her family. But it means that about nineteen of his staff will lose their jobs. She said that he will have his own hospital built just for him when he gets there. And he will be working on some very exciting future breakthrough's in regard to spinal surgery. I see him the 20th of May and he leaves sometime in June. I feel bad for the staff. And The Barns and Jewish Hospital will be losing an unimaginable amount of clients. I won't be seeing him again after this appt. Anyway, that's all I know about Dr. Lenke. I am sorry he's leaving. Linda
                          May 30th 2013 revision

Comment

Originally posted by laurenhigginson View Post
                            Hi Linda!

I see Dr. Lehman and I found out today. He is one of the doctor's going with Dr. Lenke- around June is what the nurse said. Have a great weekend!

Lauren
                            Hi Lauren,

Are you referring to Dr. Luhmann, the pediatric surgeon Gayle was asking about? I just want to be sure because Dr. Luhmann performs VBS/VBT - and I belong to another group (for parents of kids w/scoli) where we sometimes refer parents to him, so good to know where he'll be - thanks!
                            Last edited by mariaf; 03-17-2015, 11:36 AM.
                            mariaf305@yahoo.com
                            Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                            Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Oh, wow - I just read this after being off the forum for a couple of months, and at first got excited when it was said that Dr. Lenke was coming to Columbia. Of course, I thought he was coming to Columbia, MISSOURI! LOL

This is a huge loss for Wash U. Trying to find out now who is going with him.

Hope you all are well.

Fifa

Comment

Working...
                              X