Shake Up at Wash U - St. Louis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daniel Riew and Ronald Lehman
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Linda,

Is Dr. Riew going to NYC with Lenke? When I saw Lenke in March, I congratulated him on the move (I received a letter in early Feb announcing move) and asked him if this was a good move for him. He said, "... well this has been in the works for a while... setting up a new practice isn't easy, so ask me again in 5 years..."

I'm excited to see him in NYC!
      44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
      Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
      2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Doreen1 View Post
        Linda,

Is Dr. Riew going to NYC with Lenke? When I saw Lenke in March, I congratulated him on the move (I received a letter in early Feb announcing move) and asked him if this was a good move for him. He said, "... well this has been in the works for a while... setting up a new practice isn't easy, so ask me again in 5 years..."

I'm excited to see him in NYC!
        Yes. It is an amazing move for him. Columbia was willing to do whatever was necessary to get him there.

--Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

I never received any goodbye letter from Lenke!

I was just wondering why Dr. Lenke hasn't sent out a letter to all of his patients.

I have had many physicians in the past that have either moved or retired and I received a letter from them stating so.

I feel very disappointed that Dr. Lenke can't take the time to make one form letter and have it sent out to all his patients.

We trusted him with our lives during our extensive surgeries and apparently he's too busy or just doesn't care about us?

Feeling very betrayed by the so called great Dr. Lenke.

Comment

Originally posted by dailypain View Post
            I was just wondering why Dr. Lenke hasn't sent out a letter to all of his patients.

I have had many physicians in the past that have either moved or retired and I received a letter from them stating so.

I feel very disappointed that Dr. Lenke can't take the time to make one form letter and have it sent out to all his patients.

We trusted him with our lives during our extensive surgeries and apparently he's too busy or just doesn't care about us?

Feeling very betrayed by the so called great Dr. Lenke.
            I think at least one person said they got a letter. If not, I wonder if it's possible that he's not given access to the list. (As far as I know, the current medical record system at UCSF does not have a report that allows one to download all of a department's patient mailing addresses. We would have to get departmental permission and have the IT group prepare the list.) I'm guessing that WashU is not happy that Lenke is leaving, so it's possible that they are not giving him access. From what i know of Dr. Lenke, he cares about his patients.

--Linda

Comment

I agree that this could have nothing at all to do with Dr. Lenke not caring about his patients (I'm sure he does). However, there could be non-compete clauses in his contract with WashU that prohibit him from sending such letters. The hospital may view such letters as trying to lure or recruit patients to his new practice and away from WashU. I recall a similar situation when Dr. Betz and Shriners parted ways. In fact, Shriners even resorted to sending their own letters to Dr. Betz's patients with misleading information (i.e., that he had 'retired', rather than stating honestly that he had joined another practice in NJ/NYC). I remember it well because many parents of his patients were very upset about it.

Sometimes these things get a little ugly (often on the part of the hospital/institution), so I wouldn't jump to any negative conclusions about Dr. Lenke. In fact, since he seems to be beloved by his patients, I'm thinking he should get the benefit of the doubt here. Just my two cents.
              mariaf305@yahoo.com
              Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
              Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Dr. Hu moved from UCSF to Stanford in 2014. Of course, UCSF did not want to lose "business", that is $. I received a letter from UCSF that said that Dr. Hu "was moving to a practice down the peninsula" or something like that. UCSF did not want to give the details to facilitate me from moving my business to her new location.

Susan
                Last edited by susancook; 07-06-2015, 06:13 PM.
                Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
                2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
                2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
                2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
                2018: Removal L4,5 screw
                2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

One of my doctors recently switched hospitals and the hospital didn't send anything out. Only reason I knew ahead of time is b/c he personally told me (while calling me for another reason). The two hospitals are considered competing hospitals so his first hospital definitely wasnt't going to be telling anyone any details, especially because both were in the same city. Weeks after he personally told me (and I thought I'd see him at his old hospital one last time) I got a somewhat frantic call from his office manager canceling my last appt., informing he was moving, and she didn't know when. I guess that's when the administrators of old hospital found out he was leaving and something hit the fan.

I also heard from other pts of his that when ppl called up his old office they were given incorrect information about his new contact info. (Too bad in time his new info came up on searches, and patients also shared where he was and how to reach him)

He also shared with me how pain the you know where it was trying to get records from old hospital to new hospital was despite EPIC medical record system's "CareEverywhere" (or something like that) option to transfer electronic records. He was unable to see all of his old records, even though patients had released permission to do so. He than told me that he recently found out the reason electronic records aren't shared with ease between hospitals in same city/town are because hospitals don't want to loose patients. They think patients will switch on a flip of a switch if records are shared across the board.

So there's a LOT of "If you are leaving, we are keeping your patients." mindset for a hospital. Only time I really get the "Hi I'm leaving and going to ABC or Dr. So and SO is going elsewhere." letters are when a doctor is in a private or group practice operating as their own financial entity.
                  Last edited by green m&m; 07-06-2015, 07:52 PM.
                  30 something y.o.

2003 - T45, L???
                  2005 - T50, L31
                  bunch of measurements between...

2011 - T60, L32
                  2013 - T68, L?

Posterior Fusion Sept 2014 -- T3 - L3
                  Post - op curve ~35

Comment

Sorry. But I don't agree.

Like I said I have had doctors change jobs in the past. Granted they were a little younger than Dr. Lenke, I still think a man in his early 50's is unusual to up and change hospitals and move across the country. But that is his business. But letting his patients know and giving us some reason why or a simple bye is just plain human courtesy. Plus they usually also tell us who our doctor will be. I still don't know who I am supposed to see. So I guess if you all want to blame the hospital ok. Shame on the hospital. But also shame on Dr. Lenke.

I don't know about you but I have suffered since age 6 with scoliosis. It's no picnic. Plus as I am finding out it gets worse with age. I depend on my many doctors for maintaining the little mobility I have left. All I ask is to be treated like we are supposed to treat each other, with kindness and consideration.

Comment

I received a personal phone call from Dr Bederman, my spine surgeon telling me that he was leaving. Knowing that, I called UCI and tried to make an appointment with him at the end of the month, The scheduled told me that he was leaving and gave me the names of three doctors to see to follow up with.

I did not receive any letter from UCI telling me that he was leaving and I think that it is terrible.
                      Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

The hospital may also have specific regulations regarding correspondence. Every time correspondence is initiated, there's potential exposure of personal health information. HIPAA regulations are, unfortunately, of a much higher priority to hospitals than informing patients about changes. I'm guessing that they informed patients who had surgeries scheduled, and patients who had appointments booked. Does anyone know if that's incorrect?

--Linda

Comment

I saw Dr Bederman today so that we could say goodbye in person. One of the things that I asked him was about a letter. He said that over a month ago he asked that a letter go out to his patients telling them that he was leaving . He is leaving next week and so far , a letter has not yet gone out. So it might be the same situation with Dr . Lenke. By the way, Dr Bederman is flying to Columbia to give a lecture with Dr Lenke this Summer.
                          Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Just to help maybe clear something up: I got a letter from Wash U informing me that Dr. Lenke is leaving, and giving me the number to reach him at Columbia. They also gave me the option of continuing my care with Wash U as well, along with those numbers. The letter was sent in early March. After that, or maybe along with it I don't recall, Wash U sent me a medical authorization to transfer all my records to Columbia.

Not sure if there was a specific reason I got the letter as opposed to others, but I did get a letter. I did not have a surgery scheduled, and had just seen Dr. Lenke the previous month for the first time if that matters.

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                              Larry Lenke and at least two other Wash U spine surgeons are leaving Wash U to start practicing at Columbia. I'm guessing that patients have not yet been notified. Have heard multiple stories, so I'm unsure of the details at this point. Drs. Bridwell and Kelly will be staying in St. Louis.

--Linda
                              Have heard same Linda.
                              Susan
                              XLIF/Posterior Surgery 6/16/08. Fused T10-L5 in CA by Dr. Michael Kropf (don't go there unless it's simple, I hear he's at Cedar's now). Very deformed, had revision w/5 PSO's, rods from T-3 to sacrum including iliac screws, all posterior, 5/23/16 with Dr. Purnendu Gupta of Chicago.

Owner of Chachi the Chihuahua, So Cal born and bred, now a resident of 'Chicagoland' Illinois. Uh, dislike it here....thank God there was ONE excellent spine surgeon in this area.

Comment

Originally posted by nybw51mr42 View Post
                                Just to help maybe clear something up: I got a letter from Wash U informing me that Dr. Lenke is leaving, and giving me the number to reach him at Columbia. They also gave me the option of continuing my care with Wash U as well, along with those numbers. The letter was sent in early March. After that, or maybe along with it I don't recall, Wash U sent me a medical authorization to transfer all my records to Columbia.

Not sure if there was a specific reason I got the letter as opposed to others, but I did get a letter. I did not have a surgery scheduled, and had just seen Dr. Lenke the previous month for the first time if that matters.
                                Since you had just seen Dr. Lenke, you would definitely be considered a current patient. I don't know what criteria they used to determine who was current, but I'm almost positive that patients who were considered "current" got letters, and others didn't.

Comment

Working...
                                X