Thread: Attaching New Rods to Existing Rods - 2nd Surgery

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Attaching New Rods to Existing Rods - 2nd Surgery

Greetings. My son had scoliosis surgery 2 years ago to correct a 70 degree upper curve. The lower curve has continued to get worse so now he has to have a second fusion on his lower back. The new rods will connect with the upper rods. Has anyone had a similar surgery? I haven't been able to find any information on this particular type of procedure. I'd appreciate any input. Thank you.

Yes, I have connectors. They're very common in revision surgery. It's essentially the same type of surgery your son had originally, but they'll connect the old rods to the new rods. Here's a fairly extreme example of a new segmental system being attached to a Harrington rod construct.

http://www.spineuniverse.com/sites/d...f_fig5a-99.jpg
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Dilbert
    I'm sarcastic... what's your super power? --Unknown
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you've signed up and are having trouble posting, please check your spam folder. An email was sent to the email address which you subscribed. You have to follow the instructions in that email. Done that and still having trouble posting? Contact Joe O'Brien at jpobrien@scoliosis.org.

Hi,I also have connectors. Mine look like a domino. A rectangular shape. The rods sit side by side.if I have a X-Ray of the area I will post it

Thanks

I would love to see the xrays if you have them.

If you send me your email address I can forward you some pictures that are different than the one that Linda posted.

pictures of connectors in place and left side removed

Quote Originally Posted by jackieg412 View Post
    If you send me your email address I can forward you some pictures that are different than the one that Linda posted.
    Here are the connector pictures in place and the ones removed from my left side
    Attached Images Attached Images