Flu After Scoliosis Surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flu After Scoliosis Surgery

Is it possible to get implants infected from a flu virus? I usually don't go to the doctors with trivial things like cold or flu, and this was the first time since the surgery that I fell very sick with type A flu. Went to a doctor, she prescribed tamiflu. My main concern was not the flu itself, but my implants. Is it possible to get implant infection from a flu? Should I always go to a doctor for antiviral drugs or it's not necessary?
    I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
    45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
    A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

If it was possible, we'd almost certainly all have implant infections. :-)

Feel better soon!

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thank you, Linda!
      I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
      45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
      A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

Irina, I noticed that any time I have a virus, my back aches more. I've wondered if that's because a virus really needs a lot of white blood cells so the post op spine is working even harder to fight off infection. When I get a lot of vitamin C and take calcium and eat a lot of salads and fresh vegetables and lean protein, I seem to get better faster. Also, sugar suppresses the immune system so I don't eat any sugar when I'm sick to give my back the best environment. That seems to help a lot with the pain level too. I hope you feel better soon!
        1973 Age 15 diagnosed with scoliosis but told too old for surgery.
        2001 age 43 told too old for surgery, did physical therapy & traction.
        2001 to 2008 Intermittent use of home traction machine and TENS unit.
        2009 traction no longer effective - physical therapy.
        2011 More physical therapy. 2012 Collapsing scoliosis - MRI before surgery
        At age 53, surgery on October 2nd, 2012 with Dr Hey
        Fusion with titanium rods and bolts from T1 to pelvis.
        Post op x-ray

Comment

Working...
        X