Thread: Flu After Scoliosis Surgery

Flu After Scoliosis Surgery

Is it possible to get implants infected from a flu virus? I usually don't go to the doctors with trivial things like cold or flu, and this was the first time since the surgery that I fell very sick with type A flu. Went to a doctor, she prescribed tamiflu. My main concern was not the flu itself, but my implants. Is it possible to get implant infection from a flu? Should I always go to a doctor for antiviral drugs or it's not necessary?
    I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
    45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
    A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

If it was possible, we'd almost certainly all have implant infections. :-)

Feel better soon!

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Dilbert
    I'm sarcastic... what's your super power? --Unknown
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you've signed up and are having trouble posting, please check your spam folder. An email was sent to the email address which you subscribed. You have to follow the instructions in that email. Done that and still having trouble posting? Contact Joe O'Brien at jpobrien@scoliosis.org.

Thank you, Linda!
    I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
    45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
    A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Irina, I noticed that any time I have a virus, my back aches more. I've wondered if that's because a virus really needs a lot of white blood cells so the post op spine is working even harder to fight off infection. When I get a lot of vitamin C and take calcium and eat a lot of salads and fresh vegetables and lean protein, I seem to get better faster. Also, sugar suppresses the immune system so I don't eat any sugar when I'm sick to give my back the best environment. That seems to help a lot with the pain level too. I hope you feel better soon!
    1973 Age 15 diagnosed with scoliosis but told too old for surgery.
    2001 age 43 told too old for surgery, did physical therapy & traction.
    2001 to 2008 Intermittent use of home traction machine and TENS unit.
    2009 traction no longer effective - physical therapy.
    2011 More physical therapy. 2012 Collapsing scoliosis - MRI before surgery
    At age 53, surgery on October 2nd, 2012 with Dr Hey
    Fusion with titanium rods and bolts from T1 to pelvis.
    Post op x-ray