Horseback riding with full fusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horseback riding with full fusion

I have to admit that I was hesitant about horseback riding, but figured what the heck. I’m not much of a horse person but rode for 3 hours in the Colombian mountains and had no problems at all with my spine. None.

My family down here raises Colombian Paso Fino’s which are the Fred Astaire of horses since they dance so well.....No, I didn’t get to ride one of these, but might get my chance here soon!

All is well...

Ed
    Attached Files
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Ti Ed! That is most excellent! Nice seat. My only comment would be to bring your lower leg a bit more forward and try to sink into your heels.

What is the horse's name?

Those horses all know Spanish. It's so amazing to me that they can understand a foreign language!! ;-)
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Ed,
      I'm not a horsman, either. But I agree with Sharon about your leg position. Perhaps the stirrup strap is too short? It looks like it would give you less control of the horse. I'm not fused but am jealous that you got to go for a three hour ride. Just be glad that it wasn't a "Three Hour Tour"...LOL

I don't see why a fused person couldn't go horseback riding. I can't see racing or jumping horses and things that put extra stress on the fusion. But you are probably way more stable than the rest of us wrt your back that is. :0

Love the picture!
      Be happy!
      We don't know what tomorrow brings,
      but we are alive today!

Comment

Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
        Ed,
        I'm not a horsman, either. But I agree with Sharon about your leg position. Perhaps the stirrup strap is too short? It looks like it would give you less control of the horse. I'm not fused but am jealous that you got to go for a three hour ride.
        This is essentially correct. You want to sit on the horse in such a way that if the horse was taken out from under you, you would still be left standing. That is a balanced seat and the easiest way for the horse to carry you.

Just be glad that it wasn't a "Three Hour Tour"...LOL
        LOL!

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

how is your balance?

Hi Ed,

That is pretty cool, it looks so beautiful where you are in the photo. Very tropical looking. I wonder how your balance feels up on the horse? I am not a rider, but I got on a mountain bike briefly last summer and worried a little about the loss of balance control/compensation through my trunk. Any thoughts on balance?
          Gayle, age 50
          Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
          Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
          Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
          2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
          2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Sharon, I forget the horses name......Between that, she being prego, myself drinking Aguardiente, and my collection of nasty Spanish phrases, it made for a wild ride! LOL In the photo, I had just gotten on and was feeling her out. I asked for just an old Paint, He he, and she was far from that! She was quick, wanted to run, and I was afraid of falling off. We finally came to a mutual understanding regardless of which language the horse understood. (smiley face)

Rohrer, I finally did get the stirrup length extended and leg position corrected. Legs slightly forward also helped with limiting bounce and my spine. Glad to see you posting again. Take things one day at a time....

Gail, I have the balance of a cat. Fused or unfused, drunk, or not, it doesn’t matter. I don’t know if this is inner ear training from skiing all my life, I don’t think that fusing the spine had any affect whatsoever on my balance. I know one thing, I wasn’t falling off....that wouldn’t be a good thing.

Colombia is a beautiful country....In the photo I was at a ranch riding with lawyers actually. After real estate legal matters were wrapped up, riding horses is part of business....so is the drinking. They were amazed that this bionic man could actually ride and drink them under the table. I get a kick out of it since it’s a very macho thing down here. I guess I have a high tolerance for some reason....

This was in Santa Fe De Antioquia, the town and buildings are 500 years old and the streets are cobblestone. I attached a few photos....

Ed
            Attached Files

My x-rays

Comment

Wow! Beautiful pictures, Ed. I have a friend who lives in Venezuela. She hates it there to put it mildly. I said, "But it's so beautiful and colorful and you have the ocean nearby!" She hates the heat so she moved to Germany and will probably stay there. They have free tuition to colleges there no matter where you are from. You just have to be able to support yourself in some way. I didn't know that! But, back to the pictures. They reminded me of some she sent me. That restaurant is just gorgeous! Lucky you!

...and I do and will take one day at a time. That's really all we have anyway whether we are terminal or not. I lost one brother to a MVA at the age of 24 and the next year my other brother was murdered at the age of 27. Two, too young to die. We should be thankful for EVERY day we have.
              Be happy!
              We don't know what tomorrow brings,
              but we are alive today!

Comment

It looks so beautiful there... a tropical paradise.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
                  Wow! Beautiful pictures, Ed. I have a friend who lives in Venezuela. She hates it there to put it mildly. I said, "But it's so beautiful and colorful and you have the ocean nearby!" She hates the heat so she moved to Germany and will probably stay there. They have free tuition to colleges there no matter where you are from. You just have to be able to support yourself in some way. I didn't know that! But, back to the pictures. They reminded me of some she sent me. That restaurant is just gorgeous! Lucky you!

...and I do and will take one day at a time. That's really all we have anyway whether we are terminal or not. I lost one brother to a MVA at the age of 24 and the next year my other brother was murdered at the age of 27. Two, too young to die. We should be thankful for EVERY day we have.
                  I was in Caracas in 1967 after a major earthquake and did an earthquake tour. This quake wiped out Henry Charriere and thus prompted him to write Papillon after which the movie was released. (Some trivia for today) For those that don’t know, most countries in S.A. (except Colombia and Chile) lean left, but we cant get into that here on this forum. If they don’t have bread, its doubtful there is any scoliosis treatment there. Maybe its in Cuba, I don’t know. We might find out soon!

I also know a few people that love and hate Hawaii.....and I came close to buying a home there years ago. I’m more of the traveling type.....too much to see.

I do think about those that have lost their lives at young or younger ages. Its unfair and leaves us thinking about our lives and purpose. Each and every day is valuable for sure, especially for those like me that got their second chance. I wont worry about my medical situation......I cant anymore, I just cant. I did that my whole life. Time is too short and maybe its time to stop and smell more roses.....maybe ride a few more horses. Focus on the goal of life, NOT what might be, or what can or could happen.

Glad you liked the photos.... travel photos do offer a sort of mental vacation, a release from daily thoughts. Maybe here in the future, I will start a travel blog since I also find them interesting.....Stress and pain are reality and if possible do what you can to divert your mind....Its something I became quite good at through the years.

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Working...