Thread: Do you recommend a "cleaning out" before surgery?

Do you recommend a "cleaning out" before surgery?

I've heard some people "clean out" their intestines before surgery. Do you think this is a good idea? My surgeon said it's fine and that most people don't do it. After reading the poop discussions on here, I'd rather not have to deal with it right away in the hospital. What do you think?

I also had my IVC filter placement put in yesterday (filter put in the vena cava to catch any blood clots that may form and prevent them from going to heart or lungs). I have a history of a pulmonary embolism (blood clot) in lung after gall bladder surgery. Would have died if husband wasn't there. I coded, intubated, ICU...all that lovely stuff. So the back surgeon thought the filter would be a good idea. I happened to agree. So now my groin hurts (from where they put it in), my back hurts, I have to be at work today....ugh! Also nervous about "cleaning out" with this filter in me.

My surgeon required clear liquids only for 24 hrs prior to surgery - he didn't tell me to clean out. I did a 'cleaning out' beforehand because I was worried about the poop issues. Then, I was worried about my intestines having nothing to do when they finally woke up! I think it was day 5 before I had a BM in the hospital.

I can certainly see why your dr is being pro-active about preventing blood clots. It sucks to have another achy area, in addition to your regular back pain. Sending positive thoughts & prayers!
    Peg
    61 yrs old
    75 degree lumbar curve with thoracic kyphosis
    T3 - S1 surgery with Dr. Buchowski in St. Louis, on 10/27/14
    Working on healing in Columbus, Ohio!

My surgeon said it didn't matter but doing a fleets enema was the hospital's protocol. I don't think it helped...nothing came out when I did it and had bowel issues anyway.
    30 something y.o.

2003 - T45, L???
    2005 - T50, L31
    bunch of measurements between...

2011 - T60, L32
    2013 - T68, L?

Posterior Fusion Sept 2014 -- T3 - L3
    Post - op curve ~35

I did absolutely nothing to prepare, and did not have any issues beyond relatively mild constipation after surgery.
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Dilbert
    I'm sarcastic... what's your super power? --Unknown
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you've signed up and are having trouble posting, please check your spam folder. An email was sent to the email address which you subscribed. You have to follow the instructions in that email. Done that and still having trouble posting? Contact Joe O'Brien at jpobrien@scoliosis.org.

I ate lightly the day before.
    No problems with constipation until weeks after surgery and then only once.

Susan
    Adult Onset Degenerative Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Severe disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 in 2 surgeries
    2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal surgery for Spinal Cord Injury at T4,5 sec to PJK
    2015: Revision Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
    2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone + prayer

Thanks everyone.

Just a follow-up. I used an enema the night before surgery and am very glad I did. I didn't have bowel issues in the hospital. It was also a relief to not have to worry about it.