Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antibiotics prior to procedures?

Hi All,

Happy New Year! I hope everyone is well. I haven't been around in quite some time, life is busy! Ever since my surgery (6 years ago) my surgeon recommended that I take antibiotics prior to going to the dentist and any 'procedures.' I've finally scheduled my first colonoscopy for the end of this month, and asked the GI doc if I should take antibiotics prior. He said he didn't recommend it. I am going to check with my surgeon's office, but wanted to check in here and see what everyone here has been told.

Debbe

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Originally posted by debbei View Post
    Hi All,

Happy New Year! I hope everyone is well. I haven't been around in quite some time, life is busy! Ever since my surgery (6 years ago) my surgeon recommended that I take antibiotics prior to going to the dentist and any 'procedures.' I've finally scheduled my first colonoscopy for the end of this month, and asked the GI doc if I should take antibiotics prior. He said he didn't recommend it. I am going to check with my surgeon's office, but wanted to check in here and see what everyone here has been told.

Debbe
    Our protocol is 2 years. Not sure if that's helpful for you.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I thought I recalled another thread on this topic a while ago - maybe worthwhile to do a search for it. Seemed to vary a little by doctor, but 6 years seems like a long time. Did the GI doc say why he would not recommend it? I think I've heard that some docs are of that opinion but I can't remember why.
      mariaf305@yahoo.com
      Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
      Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Working...
      X