4 Year Anniversary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 Year Anniversary

Today marks the fourth year since my T4-Sacrum surgery with Dr. Lenke. This is the first January that I won't get new x-rays and meet with Dr. Lenke. I always liked the reassurance that everything looked as it should, but I guess I'll have to wait until January of 2016.
    I have so many people from this forum to thank for getting me through the stressful pre-surgery period as well as the long recovery that this surgery requires. What would I have done without you? I know many of those people who posted frequently four years ago are no longer active with the forum. Hopefully, Kathy K., Ed, and Jennifer who still post will read this and know how much I appreciated their suggestions and support!
    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
    Rib Hump-GONE!
    Age-60 at the time of surgery
    Now 66
    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Karen

We were ones who did quite well with it all and it’s a blessing......I think that we eventually need to let go of our surgeons at some point, and there comes a time when we really don’t need to go in on a regular basis. Let’s all hope that our health holds in there with no signs of pain because those are signals that something is wrong. There isn’t a day that goes by that I’m not thankful, and having a second chance is an amazing thing....I try not to foresee or expect future doctors visits, its almost a mindset I have after all the medical activity and surgeries I had years ago. A kind of mental health thing.....(smiley face) I’m glad that you appreciated my posts, at least there is a record because I’m forgetting quite a bit these days.....

I’m posting from Medellin, Colombia, the land of eternal spring.....no bear traps down here! (smiley face) If anything, its too hot!

Going diving next week on the Caribbean coast......

Happy 4th anniversary!

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Glad to hear that you are doing well

Melissa
      Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Congrads karen
        Kara
        Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
        Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
        T4-L2
        Before 50T
        After 20T

Comment

Congrats, Karen! You've been a big help to me on the forum and a huge inspiration. I'm still amazed anyone who is fused can swing a club.

Golf on, my sister, and be well. (HUGE SMILEY)

Happy anniversary!
          Fifa

Comment

You're an inspiration, Karen! Congrats on your 4 year anniversary and thank you for all the support you provide on this forum!
            Peg
            61 yrs old
            75 degree lumbar curve with thoracic kyphosis
            T3 - S1 surgery with Dr. Buchowski in St. Louis, on 10/27/14
            Working on healing in Columbus, Ohio!

Comment

Congratulations on your special milestone, Karen!
              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Stay cool, Ed. (It's hot here too at the moment.)

Speaking of breaking the umbilical cord with our surgeons. I haven't seen mine since my emotional first anniversary. It was hard to think I might never see him again, there was a definite attachment there. Yet I hoped, of course, I wouldn't see him again. So far so good, 6 years in March.
                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

very happy for you, Karen
                  congratulations on the milestone...
                  wonderful to read...

jess...and Sparky

Comment

Hi Karen - great to hear you're doing well at 4 years post-op. It's kind of interesting the way we all sort of bond during our surgery years, sort of like a high school or college class! I know I felt very close to and so appreciative of those who walked that journey with me which will be 5 years Feb. 2. I was back for a visit with my surgeon last spring and although there are one or two hairline cracks in my rods, he didn't seem to think that was anything to be concerned about. I occasionally get a little pain and irritation where that pedicle screw was removed (am sure there's plenty of scar tissue there) but other than that, I am doing very well, living my life, working out at the gym, standing as long as I want to, etc. In fact, most of the time, I really don't even think about my back anymore. I rarely visit the forum these days but I guess approaching our "anniversaries," it's nice to re-connect. My best to all and am always open to conversation and support for those currently going through the surgical process.

Anne in PA
                    Age 58
                    Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
                    T4 to sacrum fusion
                    63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
                    Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
                    Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

Thanks, everyone. It's so good to be post-op and doing well. I feel fortunate and wish it for everyone.

Anne-Great to hear from you! Thanks for your update. Yes, we have a special bond with those on the forum who were going through the ups and downs before and after surgery at approximately the same time. I am glad your surgeon isn't concerned about the rods. I, too, am active at the Y and golfing and I think that can only help. It is also nice to be able to stand and talk to people without being miserable or seeking a chair. I also no longer think about my back every minute of the day as I did for probably 2 years after surgery.
                      Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
                      Now 66
                      Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                      Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

Congratulations on 4 years of healing! You have been an inspiration to me and I appreciate all of your support.

Susan
                        Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
                        2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
                        2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
                        2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
                        2018: Removal L4,5 screw
                        2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Congratulations Karen

Originally posted by golfnut View Post
                          Today marks the fourth year since my T4-Sacrum surgery with Dr. Lenke. This is the first January that I won't get new x-rays and meet with Dr. Lenke. I always liked the reassurance that everything looked as it should, but I guess I'll have to wait until January of 2016.
                          I have so many people from this forum to thank for getting me through the stressful pre-surgery period as well as the long recovery that this surgery requires. What would I have done without you? I know many of those people who posted frequently four years ago are no longer active with the forum. Hopefully, Kathy K., Ed, and Jennifer who still post will read this and know how much I appreciated their suggestions and support!
                          I want to thank you Karen as you were my inspiration in preparation for my surgery in 2012. It will be 3 years for me in May T-9 to sacrum. Question, do you have any neck tightness since the surgery? I have been having some and not sure if it is just too much computer or a result of the surgery.

Anyway, best to you.

Rockycarm (Jean)

Comment

Thanks, Susan. I almost feel bad when I have posted in the past about how well I'm doing, since I know there are many on the forum who have had continued pain and complications. On the other hand, I think it's important that those on the forum who have not had surgery know that there are many of us out there who are happy with our surgery results. So many who are doing well have moved on with their life and no longer post on the forum. In spite of all that you are going through, you continue to inspire others with your positive attitude (and humor!). I seldom comment but I keep track of your progress on your thread.
                            Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
                            Now 66
                            Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                            Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

Congratulations Karen on your 4th anniversary. I will be starting my journey soon and hope to do as well as you.
                              It is good to hear you are doing so well.
                              Marianne
                              rotoscoliosis, subluxation and spinal stenosis
                              Surgery April 15, 2015 at age 67
                              T11-L5
                              Decompression with multiple discectomies
                              Concord cages @ L2-3, L3-4, L4-5
                              Osteotomies and local bone grafting
                              Revision Feb.22, 2018
                              Replaced rods
                              Took out L5 disk to free up nerves
                              Used BPM to help with fusing
                              Fused T10-S1 with screws in pelvis