Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The $64,000 question....just ow does one wipe themselves after fusion to sacrum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hmmmm...
    sorry if i am just displaying ignorance here...
    but looking at that "portable bidet" makes me
    think that almost any spray bottle would do, as
    far as something "portable" to carry or take
    along in a pocket or pocket book.

jess...and Sparky

Comment

personal help with the hose

I happened to get ill with stomach inflamation. After weeks of going to the bathroom, hosing off versus cleaning with TP helped with the irritation. You will feel cleaner all around and the way my back is fused, it is really hard to get bak there. The cold water never bothered me.
      Gardenia
      Baja California, Mexico & El Centro, Ca
      pre-surgery 75° and 89° - post ?
      Dr. Bridwell Nov 27, 2012 @Barnes Jewish @62yrs
      T11 to Sacrum Dural leak at L2 & L3 ccmail4g@gmail.com

Comment

Thanks for all the responses

I'm still feeling bad about this whole issue and agree with the poster who said "someone should supply this information to the patient"! The surgeon doesn't, I know that for a fact. It's here I get all my information and you guys are great! (pretty funny too).

I'll check out the personal bidet thing on Amazon but I know I can't afford $1,000 for a bidet. My arms are not long and I DO hope I gain an inch or two (I'll have multiple osteotomies). Like I mentioned in the beginning, I've been 'practicing' sitting still as a statue and wiping from back.

(BTW the surgeon mentioned osteotomies "hurt". I thought that unusual considering the whole procedure hurts).

Oh, and add to this - the good 'ole constipation issue with meds. Good grief, what if I needed an enema? (hey, it happened with my first surgery) I'd be, ahem, sh*t out of luck (had to throw that pun in) because I live alone and I wouldn't even ask my family to help with that. As it is now, I have to have my fruit, spinach and flaxseed drink daily along with stool softener and a mild colon cleanser to even be regular, much less when I'm on way harder drugs.

I guess I'll just buy what I can afford, hope for the best, and know that I'll be able to do more later after surgery, rather than earlier. Thanks for the links. I just can't imagine a 'tool' to use to wipe - that sounds crazy and it would take real difficulty for me to resort to that.

I appreciate everyone being 'real' about a real problem!!!!
        Susan
        XLIF/Posterior Surgery 6/16/08. Fused T10-L5 in CA by Dr. Michael Kropf (don't go there unless it's simple, I hear he's at Cedar's now). Very deformed, had revision w/5 PSO's, rods from T-3 to sacrum including iliac screws, all posterior, 5/23/16 with Dr. Purnendu Gupta of Chicago.

Owner of Chachi the Chihuahua, So Cal born and bred, now a resident of 'Chicagoland' Illinois. Uh, dislike it here....thank God there was ONE excellent spine surgeon in this area.

Comment

it cost about $50

http://www.amazon.com/Aquaus-Handhel...ble+bidet+hose

There are many at around this price. Maybe at local home depot or Lowes but it is totally worth it.

Don't go looking for more pain and expectations. I agree my Dr Bridwell doesn't tell you a thing but that is because they don't care and don't know about what goes on after. Their job is to fix the structure.

I am over 2 years and still have recurring pain from growing. Now my back is hardening like a brace is around it after I sleep. I wake up stiff to one position that I can't walk. Everything is back to normal after an hour. But it affects the hips and joints.

So take it one day at a time and this forum will help more than anyone.
          Hang in there.
          gardenia
          Gardenia

Comment

Originally posted by gardenia View Post
            http://www.amazon.com/Aquaus-Handhel...ble+bidet+hose

There are many at around this price. Maybe at local home depot or Lowes but it is totally worth it.
            I like this one - it looks easy to install and use. I would think you'd need a decent blast of water, but feeling clean will be well worth it until I can achieve the flexibility of TitianiumEd!
            Susan
            XLIF/Posterior Surgery 6/16/08. Fused T10-L5 in CA by Dr. Michael Kropf (don't go there unless it's simple, I hear he's at Cedar's now). Very deformed, had revision w/5 PSO's, rods from T-3 to sacrum including iliac screws, all posterior, 5/23/16 with Dr. Purnendu Gupta of Chicago.

Owner of Chachi the Chihuahua, So Cal born and bred, now a resident of 'Chicagoland' Illinois. Uh, dislike it here....thank God there was ONE excellent spine surgeon in this area.

Comment

If you have a sink close by, I think this is a better option (at least if you're concerned about how it looks). I had one, and I have to say I actually liked the cool water better, with the exception of really cold days.

http://www.amazon.com/Luxe-Bidet-Neo...ter+bidet+seat
              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by Irina View Post
                I agree that a lot depends on shoulder flexibility, but arm's length is important too. Some people have shorter arms and if you take into consideration that our torsos grow a few inches after the surgery, people with shorter arms might have problems wiping.

Chihuahua mama, I don't think this is something you should worry about because you are already fused to L5 and I am guessing you will not gain much height after your revision. If you can wipe yourself now, I think that you will be able to do it after you are fused to sacrum. Good luck!
                Thanks so much for the Good Wishes! Surgery will probably be in the late fall. That L5 disc is shot to pieces now so I'll be fused with osteotomies from T2 or T3 to sacrum, straighten a 'dowagers hump' and expand ribs. Having that one disc has allowed me to bend over the dishwasher, do anything bend-ing wise. Now it will be gone. I'm thinking the front to back wipes standing will work for me.

I'm worrying myself to death over these details, what my gait will look like (no more hip sway), how will I use my dishwasher. I haven't started the huge checklist I had for my prior surgery. I do have a great doctor though.

I've lost 30 lbs and almost back to my pre-surgery weight so that will help but I do have short arms. I was thinking a bidet would help.

How I wish I had gone to Dr. Pashman at Cedars instead of who I went with - he wanted to go to sacrum. He even asked "how many times do you want to do this"? Hindsight...... 20/20!!

I will get torso height back - about 21/2 inches at least - I lost 3 in the surgery. I have scoli above my hardware and T10 that's really moving and is about 38 degrees. Also I am convinced I have a subluxation at about L1. Bent over and to the side? - pretty much would like to send a love letter to my prior Dr. who's now also at Cedars. I'd also love to move back to California but with this looming over me and a 2 yr recovery, I'm stuck in this Chicagoland suburbs that I simply hate. No support system there anymore. Not a lot here, but at least my daughter and her in-laws could help babysit her kids while she checks on me.

Now.....on to medicare and what will be covered, BCBS; any other surgeons involved? ay yay yay
                Susan

Comment

Hi Susan!

You have a lot on your mind with your upcoming surgery & recovery. I can address the dishwasher issue. I'm 8.5 months out, fused to sacrum, & I can use my sturdy grabbers to do the dishwasher. The hardest part is the little soap container. It takes 2 grabbers: 1 to lift & hold and 1 to put soap in! Stock up on paper plates, etc for the early months!

It must be hard to face another surgery. Please stop beating yourself up over your choice of a surgeon. You made a choice based on the information you had, at the time.

If your daughter isn't able to be with you as much as you need her, do you have the funds and access to use a service like 'Visiting Angels'?

Shop for some sturdy slip-on shoes because you won't be able to tie them for a long time. I like sketchers. I'm hoping to test my 'flexibility' at the one year mark! Were you able to bend right away after your 1st surgery?
                  Take care!
                  Peg
                  61 yrs old
                  75 degree lumbar curve with thoracic kyphosis
                  T3 - S1 surgery with Dr. Buchowski in St. Louis, on 10/27/14
                  Working on healing in Columbus, Ohio!

Comment

Originally posted by PeggyS View Post
                    Hi Susan!

It must be hard to face another surgery. Please stop beating yourself up over your choice of a surgeon. You made a choice based on the information you had, at the time.

If your daughter isn't able to be with you as much as you need her, do you have the funds and access to use a service like 'Visiting Angels'?
                    Thanks Peggy; helpful! I'm hoping there's some medicare services that will at least help me walk down the hallways. If not, my daughter says don't worry. That's not so helpful.

PSO entire 1st surgery, T3 to sacrum with iliac screws, I'm sure I'll look like a robot. I'm going to write to Linda abut the sex surgery she was attempting. Comes just at a time a relationship is budding!!
                    Susan

Comment

This was a huge issue for me before surgery. I worried a lot about it but wasn't going to cancel the surgery just for this. I had my fusion (t3-sacrum) in January (2015) and I still use the assistive device for wiping in the back.im still having lots of shoulder issues. I'm hope that as those improve I will be able to reach better. The device I use is called the "Bottom Buddy". I have one for home and one for my purse. It's easy to use. The whole thing is a pain, but not awful. However, I feel miserable about still needing it. I can't imagine living the rest of my life like this. I just have to wait and see, no other choice. It's really weighing me down and depressing me though. I really hope that eventually I won't need help. The person to ask about this is the occupational therapist at the hospital.
                      T4-Sacrum fusion, with pelvic fixation in January 2015, Dr. Lonner in NYC
                      10 osteotomies, rotation from 25 to 2
                      Diagnosed at age 11 with double curve, 36 and 45 degrees, Braced for 2.5 years
                      At time of surgery, curves were 45 and 65 degrees
                      Chronic back pain, worsening, since age 11
                      Tried every pain management procedure, acupuncture, chiropractor, physical therapy ever created
                      Mom of 2 cuties!

Comment

Sorry about my previous post, guess I should have read the ones right before what I posted! That's what happens when I do this at night! Lol.
                        T4-Sacrum fusion, with pelvic fixation in January 2015, Dr. Lonner in NYC
                        10 osteotomies, rotation from 25 to 2
                        Diagnosed at age 11 with double curve, 36 and 45 degrees, Braced for 2.5 years
                        At time of surgery, curves were 45 and 65 degrees
                        Chronic back pain, worsening, since age 11
                        Tried every pain management procedure, acupuncture, chiropractor, physical therapy ever created
                        Mom of 2 cuties!

Comment

hose attached to the toilet

I must have written about this great invention aside from slided bread. It is sold at Home Depot and at Amazon. You attached (or someone by your household friends) Very easy as my husband says - no need for a plumber.

I have two of them. I use to spray water after peeing and since I had some disgestion problems for months at after the year year mark, this little gadget helped. Toilet papers are for drying and the cleaning is done by the water jet.

Lately, I have been using night extra long panty liners as I seldom do not clean too good so that the liners will catch. It helps so much, that if I needed money I would go get a job at a department store in a podium, microphone, and demo ... like in the past days of BLUE LIGHT Specials.

Good Luck, get one and return if you don't think it helps improve going to the bathroom by 99%.
                          Gardenia

Comment

Gardenia! You made me laugh about blue light specials - haven't thought about those in years!
                            Peg
                            61 yrs old
                            75 degree lumbar curve with thoracic kyphosis
                            T3 - S1 surgery with Dr. Buchowski in St. Louis, on 10/27/14
                            Working on healing in Columbus, Ohio!

Comment

Working...
                            X