post-op and needing some answers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• post-op and needing some answers

I just had revision surgery done 19 days ago. They had to use bone morphogentic protein this time. To make sure non union occurred again. I had a low hemoglobin level. it was 9.6 at discharge. since being home I've noticed I'm always feeling really cold during the day. When normally i'm the last person to get cold. Then at night I have been having night sweats. I only take 10 mg of oxycontin extended release at night now. I thought maybe it was causing my night sweats. so I went without it one night and still had my night sweat. I have gotten no answer from my Dr. yet and I emailed him a week ago. SO just thought id see if anyone on here has ever experienced this.

I think feeling cold all the time is pretty common. Many have mentioned it here. Do you have any fevers?

I remember having sweats when I was weaning down my oxycodone doses.

How are you feeling otherwise?
    Gayle, age 50
    Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
    Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
    Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
    2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
    2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

It's been awhile for me, but I remember having difficulties with body temperature regulation. You are probably on course. It's just really tough with so many things for awhile. Hang in there. It does get better, but go ahead and ask your doctor when you are not sure about things. (and ask us also!) Best wishes as you rest and recover.
      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

hi bubba
        congratulations on the surgery....

i have not had surgery...but have been on oxycontin for
        a while...i have no sweats, at any hour, from the medication.

wishing you an uneventful and successful recovery
        jess...and Sparky, the wonder puppy

Comment

Originally posted by bubba.smith29 View Post
          I just had revision surgery done 19 days ago. They had to use bone morphogentic protein this time. To make sure non union occurred again. I had a low hemoglobin level. it was 9.6 at discharge. since being home I've noticed I'm always feeling really cold during the day. When normally i'm the last person to get cold. Then at night I have been having night sweats. I only take 10 mg of oxycontin extended release at night now. I thought maybe it was causing my night sweats. so I went without it one night and still had my night sweat. I have gotten no answer from my Dr. yet and I emailed him a week ago. SO just thought id see if anyone on here has ever experienced this.
          Hi Bubba... If you haven't already done so, please take your temperature. If your temperature is elevated, it needs to be reported to your surgeon.

"To make sure non union occurred again" ha ha... glad I'm not the only one who doesn't always make sense. :-)

--Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I can relate. I was freezing and the in a minute sweating. One minute later freezing again. No fever though. I have low blood count and low thyroid. It is a lot for the body to recover from.
            T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
            C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
            T2--T10 fusion 2/11
            C 4-5 fusion 11/14
            Right scapulectomy 6/15
            Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
            To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
            Broken neck 9/28/2018
            Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
            Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
            Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
            Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
            Osteotomy

Comment

Originally posted by bubba.smith29 View Post
              SO just thought id see if anyone on here has ever experienced this.
              Oh yeah....

I was freezing most of the time, but then could start sweating just a minute later.....and had my highest gas bills during my recovery period. An electric blanket might not be a bad idea....

It’s a careful balance of dose and pain...a 20% reduction each week is a rough guideline for reduction. This of course being 5 weeks.....

Going from max to clean in a few weeks after scoliosis surgery is never an easy thing.....and pain levels and how we cope with them have to be analyzed. There is going to be some level of pain involved at some point, in my case it was upon termination after I was tired of the constant battles with constipation and having to have to force myself to eat. Eating is extremely important right now since our nutritional levels get slammed upon these surgeries. Healing is all about nutrition and walking delivers that nutrition by stimulating blood flow.

My temperature was taken every day for 3 months....

Hang in there, you will get there

Ed
              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment