2 1/2 years post-op

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 1/2 years post-op

I am 2 1/2 years post-op surgery and work full-time at a desk job. My surgery was from T2 - sacrum correcting curves of
    75 degrees and 45 degrees. My surgery by all medical standards has been a success. Praise God for that!

I have a question to those who have had extensive surgery, work full-time and are in the 57 and older category. Have you found that since having surgery you move slower and fatigue sooner than you use to? For instance, before surgery I use to grade papers in the evening from my part-time adjunct position and sometimes didn't get into bed until 11 or 11:30. Currently I am not teaching any evening classes and find that I am tired by 9:30. If I go to bed any later than this, I am dragging the next morning.

I don't know how much of this is from the surgery, getting older or a combination of both. Fortunately I don't have any pain to speak of (unless I overdo it of course) so it's not that I am being worn out because of that or meds. Maybe my body is still recuperating and my expectations are too high.

Marjorie
    Marjorie

Surgery in 2 phases, May 17 & May 22, 2012
    Prior to surgery: Thoracic 75, Lumbar 45
    After surgery: Thoracic 27, Lumbar 28
    Surgeon: Dr. Nathan Lebwohl, Miami, FL

Dear Marjorie - I just retired... so this year I can sleep in if desired. (hooray!) But yes, I did find that my energy level decreased very much after my surgery. It took me a good 3 years to recover, and even then I found that I continued to improve each year after that. I still tire out some, but I think you may just be on the slow track of recovery. Don't be too disheartened. Eating healthily and continuing to walk will help. Best wishes. It's a journey, but one that is worth it in the long run.
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Hi Marjorie, I fell that I have more energy than the first year after the surgery but I agree with you that I tire out easier now. I wonder if it is because our movements require more effort? My family has noticed and have questioned me. Of course we all get older but I find I need to stop what I am doing and then go back later and finish. Like gardening, it all gets done but a little at a time.
      T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
      C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
      T2--T10 fusion 2/11
      C 4-5 fusion 11/14
      Right scapulectomy 6/15
      Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
      To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
      Broken neck 9/28/2018
      Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
      Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
      Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
      Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1