Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collapsed lumbar discs/auto-fuse

Hi Everyone:

I have two completely collapsed discs below my T2-L3 fusion. (My L3-4 disc height is OK, so it has probably auto-fused). However, my L4-5 and L5-S1 are collapsed, and I have been told I am bone on bone down there. This loss of disc height, or absence of discs, has caused a mild flatback, or loss of lumbar curve. I was told this is at about 20%. I should specify that although I had Harrington Rod surgery, the rods were contoured; I was not given a "Flatback" surgery.

My question is: does anyone know anything about auto-fusing? I can't find anything on the web or on this site about it. If I allow myself to auto-fuse, will my flatback stay as it is or worsen? I am already having a little bit of trouble standing up straight, but this is mostly because of the pain; when that's under control, I am able to stand up straight.

How does one see auto-fuse? It doesn't seem to show up on the MRI, but I am having a lumbar CT scan so hopefully it will show up on that.

After two years of HORRIFIC bone pain I have experienced a spontaneous reduction in pain; my nerve pain in my legs has GONE and bone pain is much less, so I'm wondering if my body has completed its auto-fuse? As I said in another post, I am deciding if I need surgery or if I should just leave things as they are. My worst pain is when I've been sitting for a few minutes and I try to stand up.

Any info or experience on all this would be much appreciated. Thank you,
    Last edited by Tableone; 11-06-2014, 11:40 PM.
    1st surgery: Fused T1-L3 in 1987 with contoured Harrington Rods. Rods broke at top.
    2nd surgery: Re-done two weeks later; fused C7-L3. Left in chronic pain.
    3rd surgery: Hardware removal 1997, but still pain for 30 years.
    4th Surgery: Fused to the sacrum in 2016. Came out of surgery with left foot paralysis. (Drop Foot) Can't walk on my own.
    I'm blessed to have found my peace and reason to live not from a husband or kids (I have none) but from God and within myself.

The many questions in here probably can only be answered by Linda or a surgeon.

If your leg pain is gone then the L4-S1 bone-on-bone section might have autofused and you might not need more fusion surgery. The nerves for the legs come out of this section.

The only time autofusion has come up on the group that I saw was the high rate of it with growing rods which is why they stop working after a while as I understand it.
    Last edited by Pooka1; 11-07-2014, 06:27 AM.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

My surgeon said that I had t-1 to t-2 auto fused. I understood from him that it was arthritis that caused it. Glad you are doing better.
      T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
      C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
      T2--T10 fusion 2/11
      C 4-5 fusion 11/14
      Right scapulectomy 6/15
      Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
      To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
      Broken neck 9/28/2018
      Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
      Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
      Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
      Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
      Osteotomy

Comment

Autofuse

Well my physical therapist thinks I am autofusing in the broken part under my fusion. I had already come to the same conclusion myself as all my nerve radicular pain down my leg suddenly stopped late last year although my severe achy bone pain continues. I will be checking with the surgeon with my latest lumbar CT scan to see if this is the case. If I'm autofusing then I will let myself autofuse and thus avoid having myself fused to the sacrum with instrumentation. In fact my physical therapist will be helping me to autofuse so as to avoid surgery. I will post more details when I have them.

Thanks,
        1st surgery: Fused T1-L3 in 1987 with contoured Harrington Rods. Rods broke at top.
        4th Surgery: Fused to the sacrum in 2016. Came out of surgery with left foot paralysis. (Drop Foot) Can't walk on my own.
        I'm blessed to have found my peace and reason to live not from a husband or kids (I have none) but from God and within myself.

Comment

Hi Everyone:

Well I've had bad news. I got a CT scan of my collapsed lumbar levels to check if I'd autofused, but two surgeons have told me that although I was slightly autofused, that it would take years and years for me to completely autofuse and that it wouldn't happen in my lifetime. Apparently it's very rare. Also, I have been told by my new pain doctor that there is nothing one can do to assist, or speed up, or make autofusion happen.

Comment

Thank you for the update. What's next for you? Are you considering surgery? Take care.
            Peg
            61 yrs old
            75 degree lumbar curve with thoracic kyphosis
            T3 - S1 surgery with Dr. Buchowski in St. Louis, on 10/27/14
            Working on healing in Columbus, Ohio!

Comment

Hi Peggy:

Thanks for asking what I'm considering. As I have found out that I am not a candidate for Artificial Disc Surgery due to my severe facet disease, and I found out from the CT scan that I will not autofuse in my lifetime, then yes, I must consider fusion to the sacrum as my pain, which had previously lessened, is at an all-time high and I can barely walk. However, I do not have much pain radiating down the leg, which is atypical. I will be posting separately about this atypical pain.

Thank you, hope you are doing somewhat all right.

T1

Comment

Working...
              X