No announcement yet.

Side Planks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanx Alistar, certainly I arrived to the conclusion that this before after x-rays values should to be really right, otherwise SEAS group would have said something, I understand they critiziced and doubted about everything except this. And I think this conclusion will lead me to go ahead with the 'Side Plank Project'.. nothing simple in my case. I realized some days ago that the therapy my daughter is doing since years ago may be seen as the opposite of strengthener exercises so probably her physiatrist don't agree or the effect of the Side Plank may be lost after those sessions, so probably she should to leave her physiatrist for some months.. something very much hard and difficult to do. But certainly if this exercise worked in those cases, I should to try and run the risks..
    Last edited by flerc; 02-04-2015, 06:33 AM.

Comment

68 y/o 62 degree thoracic, 48 degree lumbar

I have been doing PT for approx 6 years (Egoscue, SLM yoga, etc). It has changed my posture significantly and I can manage my back pain. (other joints not so much)

I began doing the side planks when I saw this forum posting. It was difficult at first, but now I "almost" look forward to doing them. I usually do them after I hang from a bar for minute to stretch the ligaments and tendons. I still do my other routine as well.

I have noticed a significant change in my other movements since doing the side planks. My range of motion has increased and I can "feel" the asymmetry. As a result I can concentrate more on balancing my structure. Have I changed the curves? I do not know. Next year I will get x-rays to see. Once a week or so, I use a 5 lb dumbbell and go through a complete range of motion from floor to "ceiling" as far back as I can....15 reps.

Comment

Great Rkochis! Finally someone doing this exercise. I think you don't need to wait for x-ray. If your curve were reduced (except other else would have increased), you shoud to be taller. Please continue talking about this proof.

Comment

I should have added that I "feel" taller..anecdotal at this point but the next time I see primary care I will compare current height with chart. I am not expecting anything significant but even a small amount I would consider an accomplishment. Since the rib hump is/was on right thoracic, can anyone tell me which "side" I should give more effort. In other words, should my left hand be on the ground or my right hand. Presently, I do 35 deep breathes on the right hand and then 35 deep breathes on the left. (right is harder) My goal is to do 60 deep breathes on my both sides. (I started with 5, that's all I could do)

Comment

If you feel taller, probably you are taller.. but of course measurements are needed. The exercise should to be asymetric, is used in Iyengar yoga and (his son) yoga for scoliosis in a symetric way and never achieving so much fantastic reductions.
            As I understand, if your main curve is right(seeing your back, the convex side of the curve is in the right side) then your right hand should be on the floor, but really I'm not sure at all..

Comment

Originally posted by rkochis View Post
              Presently, I do 35 deep breathes on the right hand and then 35 deep breathes on the left.
              In that case, according to that controversial study you're definitely doing it wrong, you're only supposed to do it on the convex side.

The side plank should be done daily on one side, only with the convex side of the curve downward, for as long as possible each time

Anyone else practicing this pose or everyone discarted it as unproven nonsense?

Comment

Finally I get someone doing this exercise! A women from Mexico with a 105º congenital curve. She began 2 weeks ago puting her elbow over the floor insted her hand but doing it only twice per week. Anyway she said me that she feel a significative difference, when she is in the water she feel to be activativating some muscles blocked since many years ago.. she is really very much enthusiastic. I hope she can to do it every day.. I said her to meassure her height.

Comment

Erin Meyers from spiralspine.com has interesting thoughts regarding this exercise.
                  http://spiralspine.com/recent-side-p...arch-debunked/

She states that right thoracic curve should have the left hand on the floor (concave pointing to the floor) and what she says makes sense.

Since I have a "S" curve, I think doing both sides is best.

I wish I knew for sure. I do not want to make my condition worse. I will continue to do both unless someone can convince me otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by rkochis View Post
                    Erin Meyers from spiralspine.com has interesting thoughts regarding this exercise.
                    http://spiralspine.com/recent-side-p...arch-debunked/

She states that right thoracic curve should have the left hand on the floor (concave pointing to the floor) and what she says makes sense.

Since I have a "S" curve, I think doing both sides is best.

I wish I knew for sure. I do not want to make my condition worse. I will continue to do both unless someone can convince me otherwise.
                    That's nothing new, that and other doubts have been expressed before even in this very thread, you can't expect any of us to convince you otherwise, the study says what it says, but maybe yuo can contact directly the mind behind this controversial study on Facebook, he replied to me..
                    https://www.facebook.com/LorenFishmanMD

Comment

• Lots of very good stuff regarding scoliosis and side plank.

http://yogaforhealthyaging.blogspot....n-fishman.html

With my "S" curve, i decided to continue with both sides.

Comment

• Originally posted by rkochis View Post

http://yogaforhealthyaging.blogspot....n-fishman.html

With my "S" curve, i decided to continue with both sides.
                        Despite that article saying: "Baxter, scoliosis is an asymmetrical condition, and requires an asymmetrical measure to correct it. Doing a little this and a such an little that (sic) just vitiates what one needs to do to get better."?

Comment

• Originally posted by flerc View Post
                          As I understand, if your main curve is right(seeing your back, the convex side of the curve is in the right side) then your right hand should be on the floor, but really I'm not sure at all..
                          Is it right? I have heard that always the convex side of the lumbar curve must face down. What if the main curve is thoracic?

Comment

• http://www.gahmj.com/author/Fishman%2C+L+M
                            ABSTRACT We would like to compliment the authors for this interesting attempt to study the effects of a specific yoga pose on scoliosis.1 We strongly support research providing good evidence in relation to conservative scoliosis treatment.2 Nevertheless, we have serious concerns about this paper's results and conclusions. It has been considered worldwide by various media as proof of yoga's effectiveness but has too many flaws to engender confidence.

What are they suggesting? That before-after x-rays mesurements were wrong?

Comment

• If I had to guess why they said that it is because the study appears to be reporting decreases in compensatory curves in addition to structural curves which is pure nonsense if true. It's cheating though I am not sure they understand that it is cheating or were trying to cheat. Also it appears they have mixed up degenerative and idiopathic given the relative sizes of curves in each group. These are pain doctors not orthopedic surgeons and it shows.

The other thing is if it lasts. That is, can it really be used to avoid surgery.

The last thing is while it might halt or slow progression, it may do nothing for pain and in fact people in pain may not be able to do it.

Let's see if the rate of surgery drops worldwide from this...
                              Last edited by Pooka1; 07-09-2015, 10:44 AM.
                              Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                              Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

• I think it cannot be possible because ignorance. Is not necessary to be a surgeon,a physician or nothing to understand what curve degrees means and this doctor said that a 120º curve was reduced to 65º. If values would be wrong it should to be an intentional fraude.

I think that GlobalAdvances had to say something like this after what a lot of therapists (seeming to be worried with the idea of what a simple excercise that may be done at home may do) said in these few months. But is not something serious what they are doing, they must to clearly say if x-rays values are right or not! The proofs should to exist yet, they must to check them and tell the true.
                                I think I will never trust in any controlled study never more.

Supposing that x-rays values are right and people around the world does this exercise every day in the right way in each case during years, is reasonable to think that surgeries must to decrease in some percentaje.
                                But how many peple is doing this exercise? I almost don't know nobody, I think that everybody is waiting to know a real case with a good outcome before trying it.

Comment

Working...
                                X