Side Planks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Side Planks

Member aterry posted a link in the Research forum, to a WSJ article about a study that shows that a specific yoga move might be helpful in terms of "reducing" scoliosis curves. I don't, for a minute, believe that this move will permanently reduce anyone's curves, but it may be helpful in terms of keeping one out of surgery. I purchased a copy of the publication, and it doesn't really give us a lot more info. I can't post it here, but would be happy to try to answer any questions you might have.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/study...nts-1414443022

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

That is really interesting! I'd like to see a video of how one gets INTO that pose. If anybody is doing this, please describe how you do it.
    Before 39* lumbar at age 18, progressed to 74* lumbar and 22* thoracic age 55
    ALIF Jan 13, 2015, PLIF Jan 15, 2015 with Dr William Stevens, Honor Health
    Fused T-7 to S-1 with pelvic fixation

After 38* lumbar

Xrays
    Before: http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...7&d=1414268930

After: http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...6&d=1424894360

Comment

Direct your browser to Google and search for SIDE PLANK +VIDEO. There are all sorts of examples.
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I'm not 100% sure.. having a right main curve means that convex side of this curve (seeing the back) is in the right side, so this excercise should to be does standing over the right arm. I'm wrong? Someone is doing it?

Comment

It's only useful for curves with only ONE C curve? For C curves with a main curve but also other curves, could be some risk?
          https://yogainternational.com/articl...-of-side-plank

Comment

Originally posted by flerc View Post
            It's only useful for curves with only ONE C curve? For C curves with a main curve but also other curves, could be some risk?
            https://yogainternational.com/articl...-of-side-plank
            From that write up, it seems that ONLY lumbar curves were studied with the side plank (emphasis added):

The side plank should be done daily on one side, only with the convex side of the lumbar curve downward, for as long as possible each time.”
            Thoracic curves are much more common. He uses a DIFFERENT pose for those...

Sometimes the upper curve may be independent or may even have come first. With the help of other yoga experts I’ve figured out a number of other effective asanas for reducing and correcting the upper curve, including, but not limited to, ardha chandrasana (half moon pose).”
            And what about TL curves?

If the side plank was only studied for lumbar curves then the title and abstract should have indicated that. This is one reason why I question the quality of the journal.
            Last edited by Pooka1; 12-26-2014, 11:51 AM.
            Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
            Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

I was close to say this to muy daughter who has a thoracolumbar (main thoracic) curve.
              If it's only for lumbar curves, they would be generating false ilusions in really very much people around the world! It would not be good! How is possible this? It would not be serious really, they are talking about a solution for scoliosis, but how many cases may be with only one lumbar curve?.

Comment

information

Pooka1,

I believe they included left and right T, TL, and L single and double major/ major & compensatory curves (I don't know yet if he differentiated between the later type of curves) and he used modified versions of the side plank for differing physical abilities as well as the different curves. It is my understanding that they got better results with the TL and L curves than the T curves. To the best of my knowledge, they have not focused on adolescents, rather, they appear to work mostly with adults. In adults, the curve reduction is lost several months after the side plank is stopped. I don't think they know what will happen for adolescents at this time, but may be interested in the subject matter.

The MedX CTR and RC get better results for T and L curves than the TL curves. This has been studied in adolescents rather than adults and from the little antidotal evidence I can find, the curve reduction may remain stable if the PT is continued through maturation.

A Mom

Comment

A Mom,

Thanks so much for that edification. I now think the material I posted above is the work of the guy talking about the original work, not the original work. I think I was confused about that. If so there are at least two groups working on yoga for scoliosis.

If any of these guys are lumping reductions in compensatory curves with those for structural curves then it is all nonsense. Talk about throwing yourself a softball. Geez.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                    I now think the material I posted above is the work of the guy talking about the original work, not the original work. I think I was confused about that. If so there are at least two groups working on yoga for scoliosis.
                    Nope. It is the author of the study. Why he is singling out lumbar in his comment is a mystery.
                    Last edited by Pooka1; 12-27-2014, 12:04 PM.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by flerc View Post
                      I was close to say this to muy daughter who has a thoracolumbar (main thoracic) curve.
                      If it's only for lumbar curves, they would be generating false ilusions in really very much people around the world! It would not be good! How is possible this? It would not be serious really, they are talking about a solution for scoliosis, but how many cases may be with only one lumbar curve?.
                      It looks to me a nice excuse for Yoga teachers to come up with all sorts of prefabricated arguments about doing this the right way in order not to cause damage, unless of course you take on a one-to-one course with them..
                      Happy New Year everyone!
                      Last edited by Alistair; 12-31-2014, 04:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                        I don't, for a minute, believe that this move will permanently reduce anyone's curves, but it may be helpful in terms of keeping one out of surgery. I purchased a copy of the publication, and it doesn't really give us a lot more info. I can't post it here, but would be happy to try to answer any questions you might have
                        Is anyone here high enough in the pecking order to get more info about this study?
                        Some (qualified) people even go as far as suggesting the study was done on the wrong side, read this for instance http://spiralspine.com/recent-side-p...arch-debunked/.
                        It would be awful for someone to start trying the pose only to find out it's not the correct way to do it.

Comment

The authors should make the article freely available since it is of interest to many. People on the group have written to the authors requesting it and the author gave it to them. Maybe you can do that also. I am sure they are deluged with requests.

I have seen the article. Whatever it costs to buy it is too much. There are problems with it that should have triggered major revisions if it was still to be published.
                          Last edited by Pooka1; 01-02-2015, 10:54 AM.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                            The authors should make the article freely available since it is of interest to many. People on the group have written to the authors requesting it an the author gave it to them. Maybe you can do that also. I am sure they are deluged with requests.

I have seen the article. Whatever it costs to buy it is too much.
                            If you want to laugh I already wrote to Dr. Fishman, didn't ask for the article of course (although I already made this clear too on this forum in a different thread, that artcile should definitely be made available for free, we are already making huge free publicity to Yoga within this forum), I merely asked for a link or a snapshot of the pose for double curve patients as it's a bit confusing, he came back to me saying that I could have a telephone consultation with him for $150 for 15 minutes. Money drives this world..

Comment

Originally posted by Alistair View Post
                              If you want to laugh I already wrote to Dr. Fishman, didn't ask for the article of course (although I already made this clear too on this forum in a different thread, that artcile should definitely be made available for free, we are already making huge free publicity to Yoga within this forum), I merely asked for a link or a snapshot of the pose for double curve patients as it's a bit confusing, he came back to me saying that I could have a telephone consultation with him for $150 for 15 minutes. Money drives this world..
                              I am editing this post after reading what Fishman said on his FB page. He seems to honestly think that a person with a double major needs to get pro help, either from him or someone else. Instead of that maybe he should have broken out the double major cases and showed the trajectories of both curves so people can decide if it is worth the trouble to try the pose holding up the leg.

There are seven poses and the double curve ones have the patient holding their leg up with a piece of cloth or something.

The article you found debunking the study was very good. She found some of the same problems I mentioned. The data selection problem as evidenced by graphing 22 curves.

The main thing is the largest decreases occurred in the degenerative cases which, not coincidentally do not have an anterior overgrowth of the spine. Any decrease in the AIS cases is almost by definition temporary as there is no evidence yoga can arrest and fix the anterior overgrowth driving the curvature. The degenerative cases may avoid surgery if they keep up the PT I assume.

The other thing is if some of the "secondary" curves are compensatory and not structural, showing a reduction in those is just misleading for the sake of it. If they were all structural then the authors should have stated how that was determined.
                              Last edited by Pooka1; 01-02-2015, 11:23 AM.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
                              X