Wall Street Journal article on yoga for scoliosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wall Street Journal article on yoga for scoliosis

I've read about this study on a variety of on line sites; here's the version from The Wall Street Journal:

http://online.wsj.com/articles/study...nts-1414443022

Would you mind if I moved this to the Non-Surgical forum? While it's research, I think it's great information that could be useful to people who are specifically looking for non-surgical treatment.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I know I probably shouldn't feel bummed about that study, and it's a really small sample size without a control group, but I really wish it had been published 3 months ago when we would have tried it out for our daughter. With 12 days till the first surgery, obviously we don't have time to even attempt it....
      Karen

Mom to Girl Child diagnosed with 84* and 91* curves in Aug 2014 at age 11.5.
      Surgeries scheduled for Nov 10, 14, and 17.

Comment

Originally posted by Karen5 View Post
        I know I probably shouldn't feel bummed about that study, and it's a really small sample size without a control group, but I really wish it had been published 3 months ago when we would have tried it out for our daughter. With 12 days till the first surgery, obviously we don't have time to even attempt it....
        Karen... No need to beat yourself up. It seems to me, with your daughter's large curves, no amount of yoga was going to help enough.

--Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

I know, you're almost certainly right. I guess I just wish there was a way she didn't have to be fused so low, and my brain is still spinning the "what ifs". What if this would correct enough to allow the surgeon to stop at L3? That kind of thing. I don't think it would fix it entirely, and there's no way of knowing at this point if this kind of thing would even hold long term, but I guess it just comes down to hating that her curves were so far gone by the time we found them, that surgery was the only option. I'd initially taken some comfort in that, because that meant the decision was out of my hands, and I couldn't really second guess it as it was so obvious that surgey was the only option with curves that large. But then seeing this, it kind of made me second guess a little and worry that I'm not doing enough, exploring enough options. I don't know if it's a mom thing or just a me thing; this article didn't give my husband pause at all. And again, the scientific side of me keeps pointing out the shortcomings of the study. Ultimately, I hope that something like this can be studied more extensively with good sample sizes and control groups; it would be nice if there were truly a non-brace/non-surgery option for scoli kids in the future....
          Karen

Mom to Girl Child diagnosed with 84* and 91* curves in Aug 2014 at age 11.5.
          Surgeries scheduled for Nov 10, 14, and 17.

Comment

Karen... I don't know how far in the future it will happen, but there will eventually be gene therapy to fix the problem, at least for those with the most common gene mutations. I hope it's in my lifetime, but I'm not holding my breath.

--Linda

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
              Would you mind if I moved this to the Non-Surgical forum? While it's research, I think it's great information that could be useful to people who are specifically looking for non-surgical treatment.

--Linda
              Linda, the post can go where ever you think it is most appropriate. I waited until I saw the study mentioned in many publications before I posted it here. The sample size is small but the source is respectable. I'd like to see the study duplicated with a larger cohort. Karen, all of us have regrets. It's tough to get the diagnosis at any point. I have a long list of "should have"s, but now I try to focus on what's best going forward.

Comment

Originally posted by aterry View Post
                Linda, the post can go where ever you think it is most appropriate. I waited until I saw the study mentioned in many publications before I posted it here. The sample size is small but the source is respectable. I'd like to see the study duplicated with a larger cohort. Karen, all of us have regrets. It's tough to get the diagnosis at any point. I have a long list of "should have"s, but now I try to focus on what's best going forward.
                I agree. I've tried to get some of our docs interested. It would be a relatively easy study to do.

--Linda

Comment

So according to this study one must do the pose where the convex of the bigger curve is facing downwards. Is this right? I don't know why, but I thought the concave side was the one that needed strengthening.

Thank you

Comment

I was sent this info by a physio. It sort of assumes that you have two curves - one of which is bigger. I have 3 and the biggest one is in my neck. I don't know what would happen to my almost as large thoracic curve if I did it on the convex side of my neck.

Comment

Working...
                    X