Surgical Outcomes for those who had debilitating nerve pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgical Outcomes for those who had debilitating nerve pain

I would like to hear from those of you who have been through long instrumented fusions, and who had debilitating nerve pain for an extended period prior to surgery. Specifically, what happened to the nerve pain post-surgically?
    Stephanie, age 56
    Diagnosed age 8
    Milwaukee brace 9 years, no further treatment, symptom free and clueless until my 40s that curves could progress.
    Thoracolumbar curve 39 degrees at age 17
    Now somewhere around 58 degrees thoracic, 70 degrees thoracolumbar
    Surgeon Dr. Michael S. O'Brien, Baylor's Southwest Scoliosis Center, Dallas TX
    Bilateral laminectomies at L3 to L4, L4 to L5 and L5 to S1 on April 4, 2012
    Foramenotomies L3 through S1 in August 2014

Originally posted by Mojo's Mom View Post
    I would like to hear from those of you who have been through long instrumented fusions, and who had debilitating nerve pain for an extended period prior to surgery. Specifically, what happened to the nerve pain post-surgically?
    Hi...

I had leg pain whenever I stood up, for about a year prior to surgery. I thought I could live with the back pain, but the leg pain did me in. My leg pain was completely gone after surgery.

Epidural injections can be a fairly good indicator of whether surgery will help you. I had 3 rounds in the year before the surgery. The first injection completely cured my leg pain for about 2 weeks. The second injection didn't work at all. And, the third injection helped for about a day.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I hear that a lot from people who have had epidurals. My laminectomy killed the leg pain completely...for two years. But I did a lot with those two years, and it was worth it. But now pretty much out of options other than instrumented fusion.
      Stephanie, age 56
      Diagnosed age 8
      Milwaukee brace 9 years, no further treatment, symptom free and clueless until my 40s that curves could progress.
      Thoracolumbar curve 39 degrees at age 17
      Now somewhere around 58 degrees thoracic, 70 degrees thoracolumbar
      Surgeon Dr. Michael S. O'Brien, Baylor's Southwest Scoliosis Center, Dallas TX
      Bilateral laminectomies at L3 to L4, L4 to L5 and L5 to S1 on April 4, 2012
      Foramenotomies L3 through S1 in August 2014

Comment

Working...
      X