Adding on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding on

A mother of my country is very much worried after the surgery of her daughter 1 year ago. She doesn’t trust in her English so she asked me to do this question and sent me these pics . It seems that this phenomenon occurred in her case, at least is what surgeons said her. She doesn’t want another surgery but she is afraid because progression of the lumbar curve. She wants to know about that risk of progression against risks of other surgery and if fixing 2 lumbar vertebras would be enough or would be needed more surgeries.
    She also wants to knows if it was a bad practice case or a hardware defect .. she cannot understand how is possible that the screw let go in just only 3 months. She thinks this was the cause of the lumbar curve increasing.

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Files

You can try sending these radiographs to Dr. Lenke or Dr. Hey to see if they will give an opinion.

It looks like they only fused the upper of two curves which, by coincidence, I think was shown recently to have some chance of working in certain cases. I may have gotten that wrong. I don't remember where I read that or if I am remembering that correctly.

I hope the girl gets the right help.
    Last edited by Pooka1; 10-26-2014, 04:28 PM.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
      You can try sending these radiographs to Dr. Lenke or Dr. Hey to see if they will give an opinion.

It looks like they only fused the upper of two curves which, by coincidence, I think was shown recently to have some chance of working in certain cases.
      It sounds logic, I have not idea but I think that probably it was not a malpractice case but a risk to run in some cases.This is the image of the screw.
      ¿Do you have the emali adress of Dr. Lenke. It is a good idea to write him.

Thanks for helping this good mother and her daughter.
      Attached Files

Comment

I think that a surgeon would want to know where the screw (that appears to be misplaced) is in the vertebrae. Having just experienced the fallout of having a screw that moved, it might be a piece of information that would be important. I agree that having spine surgeons here give an opinion would be vital. I don't know the fee, but you might want to go with at least 2 surgeons.

Susan
        Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
        2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
        2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
        2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
        2018: Removal L4,5 screw
        2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Thanks Susan, I believe she went to other surgeon who also recommended another surgery, but she wanted to know about other similar case. She is afraid of progression because although her 13 y.o daughter is very tall, her riser is not so high, but she doesn’t want another surgery. I cannot help her because I have not much idea about surgery effects, I don’t know if progression odds are greater or lesser after the surgery in this case and I don’t know if non surgical methods may works or they should to be adapted. It seems to be a difficult decision really..

Comment

Working...
          X