BMP Mishaps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BMP Mishaps

I recently found out that the nerve issues I have been having is a result of bmp growing a small bone at the L4/L5 nerve. We did a selective nerve block to that nerve to pin point that it was the only issue. It has numbed the area temporarily but we are looking at having surgery to remove the bone and decompress the damaged nerve. Has anyone else experienced this or grown bone in an in-needed area?

Tamena
    Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Tamena,

Wow! I'm not sure I remember reading that one on the risk list!

I am very curious about your symptoms as I have been struggling with left foot/left leg nerve issues myself for the past several months. Mine seem to point to the S1 nerve root (3 smallest toes, bottom of foot, back of leg), but Dr. Lenke does not see any area of concern on my CT scan or MRI.

Can I ask what your symptoms are/were and how the unwanted bone growth was diagnosed? Was the bone growth visible on a CT scan? Or did they use the injections to diagnose the problem?

I hope that any surgical correction you might need would not be a large surgery!

Thinking of you,
    Kathy
    Kathy
    46 yrs at surgery, now 50
    71 degree thoracolumbar curve corrected to 34 degrees
    8/2/2010 surgery with Dr. Lenke

posterior T9 to sacrum with pelvic fixation

4 osteotomies and 1 cage
    http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/...athK_08022010/

Comment

Kathy,

They diagnosed the bone from a mylegram ct scan. my symptoms made me feel slightly crazy but they began with weakness in my left leg. I could be standing there putting weight on that leg and fall on the ground. Then the pain path was quite odd to me but it started in the lower back, traveled down my thigh, went through my knee and down to the inside of my foot and ending with an unbearable pain in my great toe. I really though I was crazy! But the bone showed up clear as day on the imaging. I am 11 months post op and have been having these issues for at least six months. It started with my great toe being sensitive within a couple weeks after surgery but we masked the symptoms with Gaba and just assumed it was swelling and a reaction to the BMP and the cage. I hope they get you figured out. That pain is no fun!
      Tamena

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

Kathy and Tamena,
        It sure sounds like you have similar issues. I never thought about the possibility of BMP causing a problem like Tamena described. I am hoping that you both find relief.
        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
        Rib Hump-GONE!
        Age-60 at the time of surgery
        Now 66
        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Bumps

Tam & Kathy,
          I read your posts and have been wondering about myself. I am having trouble with two big bumps
          that are above my "buttock" (left & right side). I think they are iliac bones, where they put those screws.
          Except they are huge and stick out above my butt a lot, plus they are too far up above my "buttock" and to where my waist used to be. Does this make any sense? I know that I pull on a pair of slacks, jeans or whatever and they have to of course go above those bumps where my waist is. But everytime my pants I'm wearing won't stay up,, as there isn't a dip there anymore where my waist was. Sorry this is so long. But I am wondering if this doesn't have something to do with bone overgrowth? I am having problems with low back pain and middle thoracic pain. My legs get weak and real tired fast and (painful hips and legs) when I walk. I have had these bumps since about six months out. And they seem to have grown in size.
          Disn't mean to hijack your thread Tamena. I am sending an X-ray to Dr. Lenke. Will see what happens. I wish you both the best, and please update as it helps to know what's going on with you. I didn't want to say much, until I saw your post Tam. I don't want to wine about everything, as I am thankful (so far) that I'm standing up. Sincerely, Linda. P.S my X-rays were lost and another set was sent. Hope they make it to Dr. Lenke.(10/21/14) this time.!!
          Last edited by babyboomer16; 10-21-2014, 01:35 PM.
          Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
          Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
          This started adult onset scoliosis
          July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
          Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
          Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
          May 30th 2013 revision
          May 8th cervicle surgery 2016
          May 31st Dr. Gupta revision 2017

Comment

I've wondered the 'wrong way' growth as a possible complications as fusion takes place -- guessing this is more of an issue with BMP since it can probably get into spaces where bone growth normally won't take place.

I wonder if this can happen without BMP as well...
            30 something y.o.

2003 - T45, L???
            2005 - T50, L31
            bunch of measurements between...

2011 - T60, L32
            2013 - T68, L?

Posterior Fusion Sept 2014 -- T3 - L3
            Post - op curve ~35

Comment

Linda,
              Nothing was seen great on the plan ct scan due to the metal causing the picture to be distorted by artifacts. It showed up clear as day on the myelogram ct scan. Hopefully Lenke will figure out what is causing your issues.

The nerve block only lasted about four days. But it was wonderful while it did. Now to get surgery scheduled to remove the bone and hopefully all will be good.

Tamena

Braced till age 15

Comment

Linda, Tamena, & Kathy,
                I hope all three of you find relief. We've all four had one of the best surgeons, so it is disheartening when things go wrong, especially a long period after the surgery.
                Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                Rib Hump-GONE!
                Age-60 at the time of surgery
                Now 66
                Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Originally posted by tae_tap View Post
                  I recently found out that the nerve issues I have been having is a result of bmp growing a small bone at the L4/L5 nerve. We did a selective nerve block to that nerve to pin point that it was the only issue. It has numbed the area temporarily but we are looking at having surgery to remove the bone and decompress the damaged nerve. Has anyone else experienced this or grown bone in an in-needed area?

Tamena

Hi, Tamena -

How many kits of BMP did they use (if you remember)? I hadn't heard of this before (I haven't had the "risks and benefits" meeting yet - am scheduled to do that next Wednesday). You can bet I'll be asking about this one! Thank you for posting this. Hope you are well.

Fifa

Comment

Fifa,

I am not sure about the number of kits. It was never a discussion on the amount used and I didn't have to go through the process of filling out financial paperwork. My insurance company did not approve the use and it was just an unspoken that it would be written off. I never actually talked to BJC about it. Dr. Kelly took care of all that. As far as my side effect happening, it is very rare. I was just one of the lucky ones, hehe! The plus side is the spinal fusion itself is strong and looks good which I don't think would've happen without the aide of the BMP. So please don't let my freak outcome discourage you in any way. My mother always told me I was unique.

Tamena

Braced till age 15

Comment

Fifa,

I am not sure about the number of kits. It was never a discussion on the amount used and I didn't have to go through the process of filling out financial paperwork. My insurance company did not approve the use and it was just an unspoken that it would be written off. I never actually talked to BJC about it. Dr. Kelly took care of all that. As far as my side effect happening, it is very rare. I was just one of the lucky ones, hehe! The plus side is the spinal fusion itself is strong and looks good which I don't think would've happen without the aide of the BMP. So please don't let my freak outcome discourage you in any way. My mother always told me I was unique.

Tamena
                      Hi Tamena!

Thinking about you & sending prayers that this surgery will eliminate the bone growths!

I agreed to pay for 2 (instead of 6) kits of BMP & the rest would come from my hips. I asked Dr. b's nurse about it today b/c I didn't have any incisions on my hips. She said sometimes the surgeon can reach the illiac crest without a new incision. Hmmmm....
                      Peg
                      61 yrs old
                      75 degree lumbar curve with thoracic kyphosis
                      T3 - S1 surgery with Dr. Buchowski in St. Louis, on 10/27/14
                      Working on healing in Columbus, Ohio!

Comment

Thanks Peg! I am here at the Parkway and have pre-op tomorrow. I'm sure it will all go smoothly. So, did he have to use bone from your iliac crest? I was hoping that the two units of BMP would be enough.

Tamena

Braced till age 15

Comment

Tam

What do you do in pre-op, I forget? (smiley face)

Thursday is you day right? If not you can hit me later....

Its going to be good to get this repaired.... you have had a hard 2 years.....

Ed
                          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

i hope all is resolved and people have no further problems.

if you look up "BMP and bone growth in other places"
                            you can find a lot of information.

jess...& Sparky

Comment

Thanks Peg! I am here at the Parkway and have pre-op tomorrow. I'm sure it will all go smoothly. So, did he have to use bone from your iliac crest? I was hoping that the two units of BMP would be enough.

Tamena
                              Hi Tamena! Yes, bone was used from iliac crest. I met with nurse, yesterday. I thought BMP might have been used all the way down the spine b/c I didn't have an additional incision. Nurse said sometimes dr can reach the iliac crest from the main incision. I'm confused b/c the literature says BJH hasn't used iliac crest bone for the past 10 (?) years! Huh?!

Prayers for a great revision & fast/easy recovery!
                              Peg
                              61 yrs old
                              75 degree lumbar curve with thoracic kyphosis
                              T3 - S1 surgery with Dr. Buchowski in St. Louis, on 10/27/14
                              Working on healing in Columbus, Ohio!

Comment

Working...
                              X