BMP Mishaps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PeggyS View Post
    Hi Tamena! Yes, bone was used from iliac crest. I met with nurse, yesterday. I thought BMP might have been used all the way down the spine b/c I didn't have an additional incision. Nurse said sometimes dr can reach the iliac crest from the main incision. I'm confused b/c the literature says BJH hasn't used iliac crest bone for the past 10 (?) years! Huh?!
    As I think you've probably figured out, the iliac cress bone graft is taken from the iliac crest and not from the hip. I'm guessing that surgeons think people are too dense to know or look up what the iliac crest is. And, while surgeons used to make a separate incision, they now take it from the midline incision if the spine incision has to go all the way down to the sacrum anyway. In regard to "the literature says BJH hasn't used iliac crest bone for the past 10 (?) years!", ICBG is used a lot less than it was in the past, but I hadn't heard of anyone giving it up completely. Nothing is quite as successful at promoting bone graft as much as a patient's own bone, so in cases where the patient has a high risk of non-fusion, it's the lesser of 2 evils.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Surgery went well! Dr. Kelly was surprised by the size of bone and excited that once removed the nerve plumped up and was relieved. He also told me that due to my case he has made the decision not to but the BMP in the cages anymore. I absolutely love this doctor because not only is he good at what he does, but you can see how much he cares for his patients. He is very personable and I love that about him. My nurses this time are outstanding as well. All in all, today has been very good.
      Tamena
      Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

Tamena,
        I am glad to hear everything went well for you. I know what you mean about Dr. Kelly. He assisted Dr. Lenke with my surgery and met with me at my 3 month check up. I hope you have a swift recovery.
        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
        Rib Hump-GONE!
        Age-60 at the time of surgery
        Now 66
        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Originally posted by tae_tap View Post
          Surgery went well! Dr. Kelly was surprised by the size of bone and excited that once removed the nerve plumped up and was relieved. He also told me that due to my case he has made the decision not to but the BMP in the cages anymore. I absolutely love this doctor because not only is he good at what he does, but you can see how much he cares for his patients. He is very personable and I love that about him. My nurses this time are outstanding as well. All in all, today has been very good.
          Tamena
          Yea, Tamena! Congrats! Now, you're on your way to healing!
          Peg
          61 yrs old
          75 degree lumbar curve with thoracic kyphosis
          T3 - S1 surgery with Dr. Buchowski in St. Louis, on 10/27/14
          Working on healing in Columbus, Ohio!

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
            As I think you've probably figured out, the iliac cress bone graft is taken from the iliac crest and not from the hip. I'm guessing that surgeons think people are too dense to know or look up what the iliac crest is. And, while surgeons used to make a separate incision, they now take it from the midline incision if the spine incision has to go all the way down to the sacrum anyway. In regard to "the literature says BJH hasn't used iliac crest bone for the past 10 (?) years!", ICBG is used a lot less than it was in the past, but I hadn't heard of anyone giving it up completely. Nothing is quite as successful at promoting bone graft as much as a patient's own bone, so in cases where the patient has a high risk of non-fusion, it's the lesser of 2 evils.

--Linda
            Thank you for the explanation, Linda. That clears things up!
            Peg
            61 yrs old

Comment

Hello everyone! I am home and have been for a few days. I am doing amazing especially for six days post-op. I am off all narcotics and have been for 24 hours. Only Tylenol and IBU prn. I have not even needed a muscle relaxer. It's so wonderful! I am dealing with the constipation monster and drinking my magnesium citrate cocktail as I type and it is the worst stuff alive but maybe the bowels will awaken when I'm done. This is the first time in I don't know how many years that I can walk, lay, and sit without pain. I pray it continues and isn't a sick trick my body is playing on me. I feel well enough to go back to work on Monday but my husband is making me take more time so I don't over do it. I guess he knows me a little to well!

Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving and I am praying for FIFA and Peggy as they are still early in their healing!

Tamena

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

Wow, Tamena! I'm so happy to hear you're doing well! Hubby is right, take your time going back to work; heal!
                I tried to reduce pain meds to fight the constipation monster. Yesterday was good, but today wasn't so great. I need to take my own advice to be patient and heal!
                Happy Thanksgiving!
                Peg
                61 yrs old

Comment

Congratulations Tamena. Hope the easy recovery continues. Be very careful not to overdo things. Don't worry if you have a setback.

More and more, I'm seeing people recover like you. I wish I knew why some people have it so easy and others don't.

By the way, you have the wrong year for your surgery date in your signature.

--Linda
                  Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Linda,
                    I updated my signature. I am never surprised with set backs now, especially with the back and it's sensitive nature. I think the reason recovery is so much easier is that once you've had a long fusion everything is easier and this time it was removing a bone to allow the nerves to breathe so no fusion was taking place. Plus the incision was half the size of the long fusion. I am listening and taking it easy even though I'm ready to run back to work (because the pain isn't there) and see my patients. But I shall be patient and wait till after the holidays.

Peg,
                    You sound like you're doing great! Take your time. You don't want to mess with fusion and your body is in triple drive compared to mine. You had major surgery, mine was routine. Praying you keep moving up the hi with not too many set backs.

Tamena

Braced till age 15

Comment

Originally posted by tae_tap View Post
                      Linda,
                      I updated my signature. I am never surprised with set backs now, especially with the back and it's sensitive nature. I think the reason recovery is so much easier is that once you've had a long fusion everything is easier and this time it was removing a bone to allow the nerves to breathe so no fusion was taking place. Plus the incision was half the size of the long fusion. I am listening and taking it easy even though I'm ready to run back to work (because the pain isn't there) and see my patients. But I shall be patient and wait till after the holidays.

Peg,
                      You sound like you're doing great! Take your time. You don't want to mess with fusion and your body is in triple drive compared to mine. You had major surgery, mine was routine. Praying you keep moving up the hi with not too many set backs.

Tamena
                      I think you're right about the revision surgery issue. For many years before I had my own revision surgery, a lot of people told me that they thought their revision surgery was much worse than the original surgery. But, I think most of those people had their initial surgeries as teenagers, so the comparison is more apples and oranges than apples and apples. I think that revision surgery early recovery can be relatively easy because they're usually fixing a very specific problem. Also, there have been a lot of preop and periop pharmaceutical advances in recent years.

--Linda

Comment

Hi, so glad that you are doing so well. I found revision surgery much easier. Maybe it is because it is more localized? Mine went well and I was amazed at how quickly I felt better.
                        T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                        C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                        T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                        C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                        Right scapulectomy 6/15
                        Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
                        To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
                        Broken neck 9/28/2018
                        Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
                        Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
                        Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
                        Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
                        Osteotomy

Comment

Working...
                        X