No announcement yet.

Fifa's Surgery 11/10/14 with Dr. Buchowski

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really curious about the recliner- do you know why he is nixing this?

I had shoulder length hair and had it cut shorter in stages over my last two appointments. I have had so many compliments, I think that my longer hair was weighing my face down. I have really thick hair and it would still be wet underneath six hours later so thought it would be easier and faster to care for. I'm really loving it. But if you love your hair I wouldn't do a drastic change right now.
    Before 39* lumbar at age 18, progressed to 74* lumbar and 22* thoracic age 55
    ALIF Jan 13, 2015, PLIF Jan 15, 2015 with Dr William Stevens, Honor Health
    Fused T-7 to S-1 with pelvic fixation

After 38* lumbar

Xrays
    Before: http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...7&d=1414268930

After: http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...6&d=1424894360

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
      Fifa, it seems fairly normal in the US to have the central line put in the day or so before surgery. But my dr. didn't require it, however I woke up with one.

Just wanted to add my best wishes for a successful surgery and smooth recovery. You're on the home run now, and you sound great!
      Thanks, Jennifer! I don't think the "scared" really goes away preop, or maybe it just hasn't for me yet. The amount of pain that I've been in since they took my ibuprofen away on October 22nd is just excruciating. I didn't know how much I was relying on it. Funny, but now that I'm not taking anything, I have other joints that are acting up, especially my wrists/hands. WOW!

I'll have to check with my nurse about the central line. I think I asked about it some time back and they said no (pretty sure). I think I asked about that and donating blood in advance (they said no to that, too). I'll check again though.

Wouldn't be surprised if I woke up with one... HA!

Take care - thank you!
      Fifa

Comment

Originally posted by Lizardacres View Post
        Really curious about the recliner- do you know why he is nixing this?

I had shoulder length hair and had it cut shorter in stages over my last two appointments. I have had so many compliments, I think that my longer hair was weighing my face down. I have really thick hair and it would still be wet underneath six hours later so thought it would be easier and faster to care for. I'm really loving it. But if you love your hair I wouldn't do a drastic change right now.
        Hi!

They told me they want me upright and not reclined - they said that reclined or semi-reclined was not a position they want me to be in. I guess I'll find out more about that later. I have a Tempurpedic bed that can have the foot and head raised. I was kind of counting on doing some work later on while in bed, but with my head raised up some.

I'm probably whining too much, but every time I talk to someone at the hospital, it seems like I "lose" something else. I expected to be NPO (nothing by mouth) after midnight the night before surgery, and I was okay with that. I have to do clear liquids now the whole day before surgery. My hubby and best friend were going to go to dinner in St. Louis the night before surgery. Guess I'll have to find a "soup bar." (FROWNY FACE) I know the rationale and certainly do NOT want an ileus, but for Pete's sake.

Yep. I'm definitely whiney. LOL

I'm back and forth about the hair. It is down below the bra line and a real pain in the behind when rolling over in bed, etc. I may just "shoulder length" it or something, but the temptation is certainly there to do #4 clippers and just have rid of it. (bald smiley) Still thinking it over.

Thanks for your reply! Big hugs!
        Fifa

Comment

Thank you

Fifa,
          I have been trying to read through and catch up on your journey to begin on the other side, and just am inspired by your strength (as well as everyone's on here). I feel so similar to you especially because I am struggling with when to have this surgery. So to know that you struggled and finally are days away from having it and being able to read your thoughts/questions leading up to that has helped relieve some of my anxiousness. I pray daily and will add you to my list. Big hugs,
          Hugs,

hdsluckygirl
          hdsluckygirl@gmail.com

Comment

Just some thoughts thrown in to muddle you a little more...

I could eat dinner the night before, but before 6:00, and with the knowledge that I had to do a selfie enema soon afterward in the hotel. Pretty much took the joy out of eating it. (frowny face too...) Also, even with that I developed an ileus, so you never know. Either 5 or 6 days, NPO, not even ice chips.

Hair: I am glad I had decided a couple years ahead of time (had nothing to do with the surgery) to chop off my waist length hair to a very short "do" (we used to call them "pixies") -- as I really think it would be harder on my arms to shampoo the long hair and wrap it up than to do a very quick blow-dry. And it used to get all tangled around my neck at night, etc. I've never regretted losing my locks.

I did not have to worry about reclining because we did not have one and I was in a TLSO brace for 5 months afterward. My surgeon only puts some people in them and apparently he thought I needed one... I would think yours is nixing it because of the fear of you bending your fusion. You need to be straight, and that might possibly cause you to slink a little. ????

Best wishes. Even if you have clear soup, at least you will get to enjoy the company of your friends and hubby that night, and that will be so nice! You are almost there, Fifa! I am so excited for you! Praying for you and a very successful surgery and recovery!!! Cyber hugs, Susie
            71 and plugging along... but having some problems
            2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
            5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
            Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
            CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
            10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Catching up!

When you have your surgery, I'll be 2 weeks post-op. I've been think inking about you and everything I want to share. I just caught up with reading your posts and I'll try to remember helpful things! I'm going to post those on my thread.

Sending blessings & gratitude your way. It sounds like you've got that resource covered!
              Peggy
              Peg
              61 yrs old
              75 degree lumbar curve with thoracic kyphosis
              T3 - S1 surgery with Dr. Buchowski in St. Louis, on 10/27/14
              Working on healing in Columbus, Ohio!

Comment

Clear liquid day

Take some jello cubes to dinner with you & 'pretend' they're shots!
                Peg
                61 yrs old
                75 degree lumbar curve with thoracic kyphosis
                T3 - S1 surgery with Dr. Buchowski in St. Louis, on 10/27/14
                Working on healing in Columbus, Ohio!

Comment

Originally posted by PeggyS View Post
                  Love this!
                  Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

Originally posted by hdsluckygirl13 View Post
                    Fifa,
                    I have been trying to read through and catch up on your journey to begin on the other side, and just am inspired by your strength (as well as everyone's on here). I feel so similar to you especially because I am struggling with when to have this surgery. So to know that you struggled and finally are days away from having it and being able to read your thoughts/questions leading up to that has helped relieve some of my anxiousness. I pray daily and will add you to my list. Big hugs,
                    Thanks, Crystal! Your own journey has started, but will speed up significantly once you set a date. When I first saw Dr. Buchowski two years ago, I was overwhelmed by the enormity of what needed to happen. I did a LOT of research, which is how I found this forum. The forum has been a godsend to me. It helped me greatly to understand that all of my symptoms are pretty common for scoliosis sufferers. I felt very alone, but the group here seems like family somehow. The advice, the wisdom, and the humor has been invaluable to me.

This surgery and the aftermath seemed to me to be "taking away" more than it was going to give me. This is hard to explain, but all I could think about was what I would never be able to do again, so I tried to put this off as long as possible. My surgeon was in no rush, so I was hopeful I could delay for some years. I had an episode in August where I heard a pop and couldn't walk, and all of a sudden it occurred to me that I might actually do irreparable damage to my spine if I waited any longer. Again, this is hard to explain, but what I'm trying to say is that for the last two years, I thought surgery would be something I would "choose" to do at some point. Well, I "chose" to do it ASAP since the episode. LOL Hope that makes sense.

Knowing that so many people here have been through this has helped me a great deal. There is life on the other side. The things I thought I would lose pale in comparison to possibly being in a wheelchair soon. The choice, in essence, was taken away, or at least got a whole lot more clear. I'm tired of suffering, tired of being limited, tired of being "disabled." I'm ready for life on the other side, and I know now I can do it. I've seen Ed ski on video....Tamena is tap dancing, and Golf Nut is golfing! LOL There is hope for all of us on the other side.

No one can make your decision for you, so hang in there. You are on your way.

I'll be out of commission soon for awhile - surgery is in two days. I'll post soon and hopefully can help you the way others here have helped me. Listen to everyone here and take from it what you need. And do take care of yourself!

Fifa

Comment

• Originally posted by PeggyS View Post
                      Hi, Peggy!

I laughed out loud at this!!! My best girlfriend and I are headed to The Lou tomorrow. I told her, "Chardonnay is a clear liquid, right????" hahaha

Take care - hope to see you soon!
                      Fifa

Comment

• Originally posted by PeggyS View Post
                        When you have your surgery, I'll be 2 weeks post-op. I've been think inking about you and everything I want to share. I just caught up with reading your posts and I'll try to remember helpful things! I'm going to post those on my thread.

Sending blessings & gratitude your way. It sounds like you've got that resource covered!
                        Peggy
                        Thanks, Peggy! You're posts are very helpful! See my update below. See you soon!
                        Fifa

Comment

• Originally posted by tae_tap View Post
                          Fifa,
                          My husband and I discovered that you need to log onto the wifi network there for phones to work. Now down where they do the myelogram's they do have a blocker for some reason and in a few other selected areas, but the rooms have good signal.

I hated reading your experience with your pre-op visit. I assure you, they have top notch surgical teams and compassionate nursing staff.

Praying for you!
                          Tamena
                          Hi, Tamena -

I sent you a DM. Glad to know the wifi works well there - we are depending upon it!
                          Fifa

Comment

• Trying To Make Lemonade

Hi, everyone -

Had a real bad day yesterday and was too tired to post last night. Surgery is in two days (Monday 11/10/14).

I was getting ready for work yesterday morning about 8:30 a.m. when the phone rang. My mom called - my dad blacked out, fell, and was headed to Columbia in an ambulance. She said he couldn't move his arms or legs. I got to the hospital here about 9:00 a.m. and met the ambulance. Didn't get home until nearly 11:00 p.m. last night. It was a long, terrible day. Yesterday was supposed to have been my last day at work - I was to finish training my replacement yesterday, so of course, that didn't get done. (sad smiley)

My dad hit his head when he fell, and his spinal cord is compressed from C2 through C6. He is 81 years old, so they currently doing tests to see if he is strong enough to have surgery. The neurosurgeon thinks that dad will need laminectomies from C4-C6 with fusion of C3-4, C4-5, and C5-6 with rods and screws. He has a LOT of stenosis, so the canal was already narrowed way down. The whiplash from hitting his head contused the cord and made it swell. Currently, he has little feeling in his legs (but can move them), and can't feel his fingertips (can move his arms and has a fairly good grip). Any time he moves, coughs, etc., he gets "electric shocks" down the arms and legs....can anyone relate??? I can!! Dad got a huge dose of IV steroids, so the swelling is down some, but he will still need surgery.

So, my mom doesn't drive and they live an hour away from here. I'm heading to St. Louis tomorrow for surgery on Monday. They will probably do dad's surgery mid next week.

Typically, my mom would stay here with us and we could support her and my dad through his hospital stay. I'm grateful we have good friends and relatives, so they will be able to transport my mom back and forth from their home to Columbia since we cannot. We decided as a family last night that I would go ahead with my own surgery plans...my first thought was to postpone this. However, I know in my heart there is NEVER going to be a good time for me to do this. There will always be work to do, always be impending doom with a family, etc.

This is just such a terrible, helpless feeling, and my controlling self wasn't prepared for this snafu. I've given everything over to God this morning and am at peace. Wish we could get my dad in an ambulance and have Dr. Buchowski fix him up, too.

Heading over to the hospital, then to work...I really just wanted to hang with hubby and puppy today and just be together.

Any and all prayers appreciated! Will post back as I am able.

Fifa

Comment

• Oh Fifa, I am so sorry for this terrible accident. Of course I'll pray for your father and mother and the whole situation. You are in my prayers. May He bring you peace and strength as you head into your own surgery, as well as your father's. I'm so glad you have a good support group to help your parents and drive your mother. Many, many hugs.
                              71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                              2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                              5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                              Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                              CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                              10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

• Big hugs and prayers...

Fifa,
                                I am so sorry that you are having all of this happen just days before your surgery. I am proud of you for knowing in your heart what you need to do, despite the fear and other feelings you most certainly are having. I hear so much of what I am feeling in what you are saying, it gives me goosebumps! Just take a very deep breath, and know that it is all in God's hands, and everything happens for a reason. Thanks for updating us, please take care of yourself.
                                Hugs,

hdsluckygirl
                                hdsluckygirl@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                                X