Fifa's Surgery 11/10/14 with Dr. Buchowski

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
    This is probably some of the best advice on this thread for newbies. And I also want to add that recovery is also about “you”. Its your time to concentrate 100% on your recovery, not worrying about anything or anybody else. Loved ones and inner circle need to know this, they need to know that you are not able to do certain things and pain and meds are unpleasant things. It hurts....but always remember that things always get better, they just do. Always look forward, never back thinking that I shouldn’t have done this or that. Surgery is a time reset, it’s the beginning of a new life with a new spine, no matter how strange things might seem. We will have some pain, numbness, nerve jolts, burning, and general discomfort while doing our recoveries, its something we just have to deal with until we heal.

Most people that have no idea about scoliosis surgery will relate to that one person they know that had a single level fusion or other much smaller orthopedic procedure and think “Uncle Joe was putting a new roof on the house at 3 weeks” After a while a few might wonder why its taking so long for us to come around when they don’t realize that it’s a long long recovery. Adults need more time, my recovery took 2 years, for some its longer......

Surgery is always a scary thing. Especially for kids, but even for us adults. We have no idea what they are going to do, and how its going to come out. One of the questions in my mind was about the bed pan thing.......Man-o-man. I didn’t even ask because I knew that I had to be committed and was going to do it no matter what it took. I never had to use the bed pan, I was NPO, no food by mouth, and if you don’t eat, you don’t poop. I guess that wasn’t even worth worrying about.....Worrying always creates stress, its just time for the horse blinders looking straight ahead just like the horses do....

Swimming can be done....but I’m a diver and started diving for my scoliosis in 1995. Scuba diving is about relaxing and staying calm under water. You are not allowed to panic! Its something we are taught in training, and we learn as we go. I have gone down 100 feet pulled my air out and drank a root beer. (No salt, not a drop!) We take our masks off at anytime at any depth without any worries. Learning how to dive at night is especially freaky as a new diver, now I wont miss a night dive. I will miss a day dive before missing a night dive. I know that this training on how to be relaxed was a benefit as far as my scoliosis surgeries were concerned. Once you do something, once you conquer the unknown, things are easy.

My surgeons and doctors saved my life a few times, not just once!

Tam, thanks for the compliment.....

Ed

Hi, again -

I think Susan is right. That's how I'm looking at it - this is the one time it is all about me. I told my parents and a few relatives that I'm about to "flip the switch." Right now, I'm still in "help everyone else" mode, but pretty quick, I'm going to turn that off like a light switch and make it all about me. They've been warned. LOL Seriously, I sound ungrateful because I have lots of concerned family, and I'm not. I just want them to stay home and pray for me. I have a huge extended family and they all feel it necessary to show their concern by showing up, which is just silly when someone is in the hospital and needs to rest!

So, you're the one who talked about Uncle Joe roofing the house. LOL I'm getting a LOT of that. I'm also getting the "everything is going to be just fine! You'll be up and at 'em in no time." My response is "we'll see." I've had people at work who don't understand I may be away for three months. I hope not, but it is possible and we need to plan for that.

The fear of the unknown is really getting to me sometimes, so I'm glad you mentioned that.

Thanks again, Ed. You've been a huge help to me (everyone has) and I'm grateful!
    Fifa

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
      Hi...

I'm another one who didn't want visitors. (Not easy to do when it's your own workplace.) I had my iPhone with me, but don't think I ever used it. I would say it's pretty unusual that one has the ability to read. I don't think I put my contact lenses in until the last day.

I think it's mostly how much medication you're getting, and your reaction to medication.

If you don't have someone staying with you, I wouldn't bring a lot of expensive electronics. You most likely won't be aware enough to really keep track of them. I think most hospitals have no place to lock up your valuables, and there's no guarantee that they won't disappear.

--Linda

Hi, Linda!

Thanks for your reply. I doubt I'll want to read, play games, or do anything while I'm in the hospital other than rest and maybe watch some television. I'm very glad to be having surgery out of town, especially since I've worked in a hospital for so long. Why does everyone need to stop by when you're sick? I've never understood that. Come bring food when I'm home, or offer to run the vacuum! LOL

All I plan to bring is my phone. Doubt I'll feel much like doing anything while hospitalized.

Take care! You've had a lot of really good advice for folks here, and I appreciate your input!
      Fifa

Comment

Originally posted by jackieg412 View Post
        Just another comment on the gardening issue. Just like all passions it is in our blood to play in the dirt. It is near impossible at the first year to get in position to do anything needed on the ground but that does get a little better. I tried one of those rolling carts but I couldn't reach the ground. Now I get down on all fours but I can't stay like that so I get up and down. It takes longer but I get things done. Also I avoid anything too heavy. I do a lot of plants in pots ans have a work station built to my proper height. It truly helps. Even though it has been years since my major surgery I still work at the gardening a little at a time. But I get it all done somehow. When I work I change position frequently. You will get there in time.
        Thanks, Jackie - this is good to know!! I do a lot of digging with a hand trowel - playing in the dirt is my therapy. Hopefully, I'll be able to get back at it soon (but not so soon as to ruin a fusion). LOL

Fifa

Comment

Originally posted by leahdragonfly View Post
          I am also one who did not want a lot of visitors in the hospital. My husband would come and go through the day, I was happy to have him there, and he would walk with me, but I know I was asleep most of the time he was there. The hospital can get lonely when you start to feel more awake, so maybe have your visitors come and take your short walks with you in the hallways. Some people just don't do well as hospital visitors, so take your cues from your family as well. I had one friend come by, she had had a huge scoliosis surgery the year before, but I know I was only awake for about 5-10 minutes with her, although I was really glad she came by. Another work friend asked to come by but I really did not feel up to it at that point. Have your visitors hold off and see you at home after a couple of weeks.

Also, I recently found out from another work friend that I texted him a really bad picture of myself in the bathroom on post-op day 2. I looked like hell with lots of IV pumps, etc. I have thought all this time I sent him a different photo, one of me sleeping with a barf bucket on my head! So that is how I learned that people on dilaudid and heavy narcotics should not text hahaha!

Word to the wise, DO NOT leave the hospital until your family has your actual pain meds in hand, not just the prescriptions. This happened to me, and our local Safeway refused to fill them due to the huge quantities. They told my husband he should take the scripts back to Portland (2 hr drive) to be filled if you can imagine that. I almost went into shock from extreme pain and uncontrollable shaking with no meds at home. I called the Safeway pharmacist and gave him an earful while crying hysterically and then he agreed to fill it. Not a pleasant experience…don't let it happen to you!

Hi, Leah -

This made me laugh out loud! I read this several days ago at work, but I didn't have a chance to respond. That. Is. HILARIOUS!

Thanks to you and a couple of others, I asked the physician assistant about getting the pain meds before we leave the hospital, and she assured me that they would take care of that. So, thank you! I'm also going to ask for a shot or something for the ride home. It will be the one time I can relax while someone else is driving. LOL

I hope you and everyone else will share their funny stories with me. The humor really helps!

Take care - hope you are doing great!
          Fifa

Comment

Originally posted by tae_tap View Post
            Oh my goodness! I was reading this at work and began to laugh out loud which brought the concern of my boss (who is a doctor). I guess he came to visit on my first op and got an unwanted full moon view that I will never live down. Said I had no care in the world and wouldn't let Lance tie my gown.

Tamena
            LOL Tamena - that is so excellent! Thank you!

Fifa

Comment

Originally posted by jackieg412 View Post
              It is amazing that modesty goes right out the window when you are in that much pain. My daughter brought a friend with her[male) and I kept moving the covers and she kept covering me up. I just didn't care. In my first hospital stay for the big surgery my pain was not controlled well. My doctor had a colleague check on me over the weekend and he messed everything up. While he was a spine Dr I don't think he had a clue of how much a total spine fusion really is more major then a single level. My doctor straightened things out on Monday when he came back.
              I remember my first trip to the toilet after my tiny back surgery in 1987 - they left me in there alone and I passed out cold! I had been working as a secretary in a plant that had pipes with ammonia in them, and I remember thinking - "OMG - there's an ammonia leak in the plant and we need to get out of here." The ammonia smell was the nurse waving smelling salts under my nose to wake me up from having passed out! LOL

Fifa

Comment

Private room

I didn't know about requesting a private hospital room. I need to call Megan, TODAY! Heck, I'm paying out-of-pocket for BMP, what's $88 for a private room going to matter! LOL - sadly!
                Peg
                61 yrs old
                75 degree lumbar curve with thoracic kyphosis
                T3 - S1 surgery with Dr. Buchowski in St. Louis, on 10/27/14
                Working on healing in Columbus, Ohio!

Comment

Pardon my repetition if I have said this before!

Visitors: just very close family that you like. Said before: it's all about you. I do not remember any visitors except my husband and daughter, both of who spent the night with me. I made a comment to My husband: "why didn't you spend more than one night with me?" He answered, "I was there 4 nights". I had no idea!

Might be a good idea for someone to wrote down who sends flowers and take a cell phone picture of he flowers. I do not remember having flowers although relatives told me that I did. So, I did not even thank the sender!

Private Room: I highly recommend. Many hospitals will not allow someone to spend the night if you do not have a private room. If you can guarantee that a roommate: has no pain, does not order strong smelling food when you are nauseated, does not have TV on when you want to sleep, sleeps 8 hours, does not say a word or play loud music, does not snore, does not have obnoxious visitors, goes to bed when you do, does not fart, does not cover up the window in the room....just easier to have a private room.

Susan
                  Last edited by susancook; 10-18-2014, 04:02 PM.
                  Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
                  2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
                  2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
                  2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
                  2018: Removal L4,5 screw
                  2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Originally posted by PeggyS View Post
                    I didn't know about requesting a private hospital room. I need to call Megan, TODAY! Heck, I'm paying out-of-pocket for BMP, what's $88 for a private room going to matter! LOL - sadly!
                    Hi, Peggy -

Yes, I was a little shocked that they have double rooms. Every hospital here has gone to private rooms, and they all have pull-out couches so family can stay bedside. I'm happy to pay the extra. Have shared a hospital room before, and it can be awkward with each other's visitors, television, etc. Hope you get on the list! Megan told me there were no guarantees, but it is worth a shot!

Talk to you soon!
                    Fifa

Comment

Originally posted by susancook View Post
                      Pardon my repetition if I have said this before!

Visitors: just very close family that you like. Said before: it's all about you. I do not remember any visitors except my husband and daughter, both of who spent the night with me. I made a comment to My husband: "why didn't you spend more than one night with me?" He answered, "I was there 4 nights". I had no idea!

Might be a good idea for someone to wrote down who sends flowers and take a cell phone picture of he flowers. I do not remember having flowers although relatives told me that I did. So, I did not even thank the sender!

Private Room: I highly recommend. Many hospitals will not allow someone to spend the night if you do not have a private room. If you can guarantee that a roommate: has no pain, does not order strong smelling food when you are nauseated, does not have TV on when you want to sleep, sleeps 8 hours, does not say a word or play loud music, does not snore, does not have obnoxious visitors, goes to bed when you do, does not fart, does not cover up the window in the room....just easier to have a private room.

Susan
                      UGH - Susan, I had forgotten about food smells when nauseated. Yuck. Thanks?? (ha) You're in health care, too - was there something with the Affordable Care Act about private rooms? It seems everything here in town when that direction in the last year or two.

Take care - sending e-hugs and e-prayers!
                      Fifa

Comment

Need Your Truth About The Wake-Up Test

Hi, all -

I thought I would ask the question I've not seen asked or answered on the forum.

I've been worried about what is referred to as the "wake up test." I'm told that I'll be awakened during surgery and asked to perform some maneuvers with my feet and legs (stepping on the gas, etc.) to make sure everything is still working the way it should. I was told that I won't remember any of this. Do any of you remember this part of your surgery? This scares the crud out of me, mostly because of being intubated and awake, I guess. Were any of you scared about it?

I would love to hear your thoughts and comments.

Thanks!
                        Fifa

Comment

Speaking of visitors, I had to make an "allowed to visit" llist and gave it to nursing and security to prevent some cousins from visiting. They haven't been in touch forever and all of sudden wanted to reconnect. Apparently my BP shot up when . found out they wanted to visit while still in special care unit so my best friend, boy friend, my nurse and I thought it'd be best at to make sure there was no chance of anyone unwanted popping in - leading to the somewhat drastic ish list of allowed folks. Helped put my mind at ease.
                          30 something y.o.

2003 - T45, L???
                          2005 - T50, L31
                          bunch of measurements between...

2011 - T60, L32
                          2013 - T68, L?

Posterior Fusion Sept 2014 -- T3 - L3
                          Post - op curve ~35

Comment

Also, regarding the wake up test. I didn't ask about it/wasn't told I'd have one ( I was on neuro monitor entire time to make sure nothing they were doing was going to result in neurological deficit ).

But I can offer insight on being aware while intubated. I was kept intubated overnight -- I did wake up couple of times, but wasn't scared or concerned about the endotracheal tube in my throat. It didn't cause discomfort.

I remember being annoyed at my nurse that she kept on 'hiding' my hands under the blanket when I tried to point at my lips in hopes of getting some lip balm or even a smear of vasaline because my lips felt dry. LOL. She was afraid I'd extubate myself.

For all we know you may end up being annoyed at that bunch of people are yelling at you to do stuff when you feel sleepy and want to go back to sleep. (Which is what happened first time I got general anesthesia and they were waking me up. I was annoyed as heck bunch of ladies were yelling at me because I wanted to sleep for five more minutes)
                            30 something y.o.

2003 - T45, L???
                            2005 - T50, L31
                            bunch of measurements between...

2011 - T60, L32
                            2013 - T68, L?

Posterior Fusion Sept 2014 -- T3 - L3
                            Post - op curve ~35

Comment

I was told I'd be having the wake up test as well. I worried I would be in pain and paralysed. My surgeon told me I wouldn't remember it and I don't. Please don't worry about it. I'm not even sure of the wisdom of telling patients this, because it sounds very scary but it's nothing to worry about. Put it out of your head and give yourself some peace.
                              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Our (Fifa & me) nurse told me to review the 'wake up test' maneuvers & to practice them the day before surgery! What?!?

Great idea, Susan - about takings pics of flowers & noting who they're from. It's hard to imagine how 'out of it' I'll be!

Visitors won't be an issue b/c we're 8 hours from home! Last night, some close friends said they want to visit once I'm in the apartment during our month long stay. I was surprised & left my response as waiting to see how things are going. I know they want to see me, but they'd also like to give Rick some help.
                                Last edited by PeggyS; 10-19-2014, 07:10 AM.
                                Peg
                                61 yrs old
                                75 degree lumbar curve with thoracic kyphosis
                                T3 - S1 surgery with Dr. Buchowski in St. Louis, on 10/27/14
                                Working on healing in Columbus, Ohio!

Comment

Working...
                                X