• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
    When is your surgery?
    Ed
    Hi, Ed -

Tamena's surgery is Monday the 17th, so tomorrow.

Fifa

Thanks for all of you hanging in there with me. I posted something yesterday (darned near killed me to do it but wanted you all to have heard something from me) and I can't figure out where it went. Just trying to rest tonight.

Comment

• Hi, everyone -

I guess I'm too messed up to post. I just lost a second detail-filled post that I don't know how to get back. I'm sorry. I'm going to get through one more night here and see what happens tomorrow. My primary care doc will be bck tomorrow and will now what to do

Hug and love to all of you.. Please keep me in our prayers. Thanks!

Comment

• Fifa the first weeks are really tough. Maybe the Dr can change your meds to something easier on you. Those meds can make you sick. I was only in the hospital 5 days. But I went to rehab because I live alone. It seems early but if you are getting good care at home and a nurse visiting and some PT. There isn't anything else but rest and walk.
        T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
        C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
        T2--T10 fusion 2/11
        C 4-5 fusion 11/14
        Right scapulectomy 6/15
        Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
        To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
        Broken neck 9/28/2018
        Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
        Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
        Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
        Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
        Osteotomy

Comment

• Oh my gosh, Fifa, I'm horrified to hear how you were treated after your surgery! It sounds like they discharged you way too early. I hope you can get in with your doctor or an ER and get taken care of soon!!
          Karen

Mom to Girl Child diagnosed with 84* and 91* curves in Aug 2014 at age 11.5.
          Surgeries scheduled for Nov 10, 14, and 17.

Comment

• Originally posted by fifa View Post
            I guess I'm too messed up to post. I just lost a second detail-filled post that I don't know how to get back. I'm sorry. I'm going to get through one more night here and see what happens tomorrow. My primary care doc will be bck tomorrow and will now what to do

Hug and love to all of you.. Please keep me in our prayers. Thanks!
            That kept happening to me, too! I finally started writing on my notepad app. Then, I could copy & paste.

I sure hope today was better for you! I can't get over how differently we were treated: same surgeon & same hospital! I still say it had to be insurance calling the shots - which, of course, is ridiculous. I often wonder where the common sense went!

Did you go to the er in your hometown? You've been on my mind & in my prayers.
            Peg
            61 yrs old
            75 degree lumbar curve with thoracic kyphosis
            T3 - S1 surgery with Dr. Buchowski in St. Louis, on 10/27/14
            Working on healing in Columbus, Ohio!

Comment

• how are you?

Dear Fifa,

I hope you are feeling a bit better and that your digestive issues are improving. I hope you will post when you feel up to it. Right now it's survival mode, day by day. Soon you should turn a corner and start to feel a bit better. Hang in there!
              Gayle, age 50
              Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
              Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
              Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
              2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
              2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

• Dearest Fifa-- I have been following along and read with horror at the mistreatment you received from the hospital when they dismissed you way too soon. I cannot believe it! When you are feeling better, I would write them a letter citing negligent action on their part. Ditto with your insurance carrier. I would think either/both would be liable.

Right now, though, just take care of yourself (let someone else do that) and sleep and mend and know that prayers or healing thoughts are being sent your way. Gentle hugs, Susie
                71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

• Fifa,
                  I am so sorry you were sent home too early from Barnes. I hope you feel a little better each day. I remember the horrible dry mouth and the issues with bowel movements, although I wasn't sent home with an ileus which is crazy. I think insurance companies dictate so much of what goes on with discharge from the hospital. The first month is awful, but there it will gradually get better. Hang in there, but be vocal for your needs!
                  Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                  Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                  70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                  Rib Hump-GONE!
                  Age-60 at the time of surgery
                  Now 66
                  Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                  Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                  Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                  Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                  tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                  http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

• Hi Fifa,

So sorry to hear how you were treated. I'm in no way defending the insurance companies (face it - they're a business who's goal is to maximize their profits while minimizing expenses) but the buck stops with the hospital and the doctor. The insurance company didn't discharge you - you're doctor did. He knew your condition. It's not as if he showed up the next morning to examine you and was told you weren't there. It's convenient and probably easier to blame a faceless company than to point the finger where it belongs - at the doctor and the hospital. In my opinion they both did you a disservice.

Being four months post- op myself I can assure you that while it may not seem possible now this all shall pass and you will regain your strength and self sufficiency. Best wishes for a speedy recovery but don't let your doctor or the hospital off the hook so fast. You deserved better from them both.

Risë

Comment

• Hi, Everyone

Things arent going very well right now. Been trying to leave messages but when i post them, they disappear. I'm way over medicated. Miss you all and cant stop crying. Cant seem to sit up unless i use an arm to keep me propped up. Surgery was the tenth, discharged saturday the fifteen from barnes. Readmitted to boone in columbia on monday the 17th. Had one bm since. I'm just high as a kite and dont know what to do now. Cut off all my hair, which sounds crazy, but it was a rats nest of tangles scabs and blood. Didnt realize they were going to use a halo for traction. Will post soon. Want to submit this before it disappears. Hope you are all well. Peg i got your message. When i can speak without sobbing, i will call you soon. Tamena, i'm praying for you. Karen, hope girl child is well. Love you all.

Fifa

Comment

• An Older Post

Hi, all.

Trying to catch up a bit if possible. I logged in but when I tried to submit the post, it was if too much time had passed and i had to log again again, and then the post disappeared.

I ad surgery on the tenth of november. Seemed to go well. I had the"board nailed to the butt" feeling so many of you have mentioned. I was doing pretty well. The first thing I remember was me asking for an ice chip or a water swab for the the mouth. My mouth was SO dry. The tech told me I would need to have a bowel movement first and then I could have an ice chip. That was meltdown number one. I just started sobbing and heaving to the point where i couldnt catch my breath. I think i was pretty loud. I wasnt trying to be an ass, just had never heard of needing to have a bm before you could have your lips moistened. Tech eventuaully slunk off. Dont recall seeing him again.

think hubby or someone slipped me an ice chip. God bless them, whoever they were. Saving this and will continue.

Comment

• More Old News

So, for the most part, things have been okay I guess. I wasn't passing any gas, so they wouldnt feed me or give me anything to drink, no ice chips, etc. I did the best i could. I was more dried out than anything...not hungry at all. I was in the hospital for i had three roommates. I could not stop crying, moaning, etc. It was the drugs more than anything. Joanne, wherever you are and your peppy, funny little friends are, God bless you and them for sneaking contraband diet Dr. Pepper to me. MyIV blew at least a half dozen times and the nurses had to keep resetting it, so my poor roommate got no rest. Bless you girls.

Fifa

Comment

• Fifa!

It's so good to hear from you, but I sure wish you felt better! What an ordeal!
                            What did they do for you at the er? Do you have a family dr who can help figure out your meds?
                            I read an old thread about balancing constipation & diarrhea. I'm sipping a glass of pear juice right now! There might be some helpful tips for you.
                            I just read a statement from my insurance co. Saying they've denied hospital coverage after day 5. I wasn't informed - I'll have to see how that plays out b/c I was there for 8 days. Guess I'll attempt some phone calls tomorrow.
                            Are you able to sleep?
                            Please know that you're in my prayers!!
                            Peg
                            61 yrs old
                            75 degree lumbar curve with thoracic kyphosis
                            T3 - S1 surgery with Dr. Buchowski in St. Louis, on 10/27/14
                            Working on healing in Columbus, Ohio!

Comment

• Fifa

After I came home, I couldn’t post....and e-mails were down to just a few words because I was in survival mode where every minute was spent trying to get comfortable some how.
                              Remember that this immediate recovery period will pass in time....Things will get better soon.

Use your e-mail program to construct your posts. Simply create a new e-mail and type your post there. After you are finished with it, then open NSF and copy-paste it in. You can also write your posts and send them back to you in your e-mail program. You can copy-paste and alter them at a later time.

I will keep this short for now, your bum must be hurting since we can only sit for 3 minutes....(smiley face) it gets better....

What meds are you on and how many do you take? I was basically taking 75-100mg of Percoset for the first 6 weeks......Percoset 7.5/325 (The standard heavy duty issue)

Hang in there

Ed
                              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

• Hope that you are finally settling in at home. Sending you healing and good bowel movement messages.
                                Susan
                                Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
                                2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
                                2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
                                2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
                                2018: Removal L4,5 screw
                                2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Working...
                                X