No announcement yet.

Fifa's Surgery 11/10/14 with Dr. Buchowski

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your on my mind. Hope all went well and they are controlling your pain okay. Praying for you and your dad.

((((Hugs))))
    Tamena
    Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

• Hoping we hear something soon on you.

Tamena

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

• A few more days and we will hear something......

Ed
        Attached Files
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

• Ed, you know I don't have much patience. I will be down in Saint Louis tomorrow and will check on Fifa if we have not heard anything by then.

Tamena

Braced till age 15

Comment

• When is your surgery?
            Ed

My x-rays

Comment

• On the Other Side

Hi, everyone -

I'll post just bits and pieces for now as I tend to fall asleep quite a bit while posting/reading.

I posted here last night, but damned if I can find it anywhere or any of the replies if there were any. We got home from St. Louis yesterday about 3:00 p.m.

I'm having terrible problems with what I assume is an ileus. Told them I thought they were sending us home too early and I didn't want to go, but they said I didnt have a choice. When we left the hospital, I was vomiting, soiling myself every time I tried to get out of bed, and hadn't kept anything down. Right before they booted us, they made me walk 300 feet and do the seven stairs that I needed to do to get in my house. What I'm saying is that I hadn't been "up" to physical therapy until that time - I just absolutely felt terrible.

So, right now, I'm at home and just about ready to call an ambulance and be admitted here in my home today. I thought I would be in a lot better shape than I am or they wouldn't send me home. This is ridiculous.

NEED ANY SUGGESTIONS YOU MIGHT HAVE FOR DEALING WITH AN ILEUS, PLEASE.

The Oxycontin has taken all the saliva away from mouth (hope that makes sense). I can't get anything wet enough to chew it. I had hot tea last night and a heating pad, which seemed to help. I'm not passing gas much and the few "incontinence bowel" episodes I had in the hospital were days ago and have stopped. I basically threw up all the lactulose they gave me. If you all have any suggestions, i'm happy to hear them. Oh, and my dad is doing okay for now. They transferred him to our home town hospital (an hour from me)...not that I could get there anyway. He's doing better and will have surgery in a couple of weeks.

Will keep you posted as I'm able. Sorry. I don't know where yesterday's post went!!

Fifa

Comment

• Hair and Halo Traction

Hi,

You all might remember that I had wanted to get my hair cut before surgery. I sure wish I could have found the time to get that done. Had I know that I would have halo traction intraoperatively, we sure would have. I have three giant sore spots on my head...one behind each temple and on in the very top of my head. I had no idea they would do this. All of my hair is just one big rat's nest. I've worked on it about all I'm going to and will cut it off soon.

Hope you are all well. I'm pretty miserable.

Fifa

Comment

• Stay strong....

Originally posted by fifa View Post
                  Hi,

You all might remember that I had wanted to get my hair cut before surgery. I sure wish I could have found the time to get that done. Had I know that I would have halo traction intraoperatively, we sure would have. I have three giant sore spots on my head...one behind each temple and on in the very top of my head. I had no idea they would do this. All of my hair is just one big rat's nest. I've worked on it about all I'm going to and will cut it off soon.

Hope you are all well. I'm pretty miserable.

Fifa
                  Fifa,
                  I am still a newcomer on this site, so I don't have any words of wisdom or suggestions to help with your ileus/stomach issues. What I have heard but haven't tried myself is walking stimulates the digestive system, and pear juice helps with constipation. If you aren't able to keep anything down though, not sure why they even sent you home. That sounds very scary, and I am so sorry that you are so miserable. I know that allot have been praying and thinking of you. It is good to hear from you.
                  I am sure that someone knowledgeable will chime in soon with suggestions. Hugs =)
                  Hugs,

hdsluckygirl
                  hdsluckygirl@gmail.com

Comment

• Fifa,

I can not believe gut experience! This saddens me! What were their reasons for sending you home so early? I can't believe they didn't even keep you seven days! Could the vomiting be from the pain meds? If you feel something is wrong get to Boone. They have an excellent spinal floor and a great PT department. I did feel that PT at Barnes was subpar. I only saw them once before the walk to be discharged. At Boone I saw them 2-3 times a day.

Keep your head up. You have my number if you need to talk. I will continue to pray.

Ed,

I have pre-op Tuesday and surgery is Thursday. It is nothing as serious as what everyone else is having so I'm not as stressed. Heck, it should be a walk in the park compared to last year.

Tamena

Braced till age 15

Comment

• FIFA, you are in my thoughts and prayers. I hope that you got someone to figure out what is wrong with you medically. Incontinence and vomiting can be serious problems. I am sorry that they did not keep you in the hospital. It is difficult to advocate for yourself when you feel so poorly.

Dr. B should have told you about the halo unless he did not plan to use it and needed it unexpectantly to stabilize your spine. Have that on your list for your checkup.

Bad things happen to good people. You will get better.

Susan
                      Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
                      2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
                      2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
                      2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
                      2018: Removal L4,5 screw
                      2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

• There is some evidence that chewing gum can help to get your gut moving again and it shouldn't cause you to vomit as it is a sham feeding. Just don't fall asleep with it in your mouth! Do try and eat a little something as this is also supposed to help. I really hope you get some relief soon.
                        Last edited by Lizardacres; 11-16-2014, 07:24 PM.
                        Before 39* lumbar at age 18, progressed to 74* lumbar and 22* thoracic age 55
                        ALIF Jan 13, 2015, PLIF Jan 15, 2015 with Dr William Stevens, Honor Health
                        Fused T-7 to S-1 with pelvic fixation

After 38* lumbar

Xrays
                        Before: http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...7&d=1414268930

After: http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...6&d=1424894360

Comment

• please go to your local ER

Dear Fifa,

I am so sorry this is happening to you…something similar happened to me after my first surgery…I was discharged with uncontrolled 9/10 pain and was barely able to drink fluids. I could not eat anything due to nausea. I suffered greatly at home for another few days with 8/10 pain, no sleep, was anemic, dehydrated, extremely painful constipation, etc, similar to you. I went to my local ER where I hoped to get an IV, maybe some labs, etc. Unfortunately the ER doc was a real asshole and sent me home in a cab at 3 am after a morphine shot. I asked for an IV and he said I could sip water by the teaspoonful. I am an RN and I knew this was terrible treatment, but I was too weak and painful to speak up for myself, and my husband was home with our little kids.

Anyway, I think your experience would be different than mine. It would have to be! You could also call your PCP for advise.

If tried an enema without much luck then had to resort to Magnesium Citrate. I did not have a BM for 10 days after surgery, and when all the laxatives finally kicked in it was excruciating. On the upside, I turned the corner dramatically on day 11 and things started to look up from there.

Please consider going to your local ER or urgent care clinic.
                          Gayle, age 50
                          Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
                          Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
                          Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
                          2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
                          2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

• Originally posted by Lizardacres View Post
                            There is some evidence that chewing gum can help to get your got moving again and it shouldn't cause you to vomit as it is a sham feeding. Just don't fall asleep with it in your mouth! Do try and eat a little something as this is also supposed to help. I really hope you get some relief soon.
                            I read that chewing gum helps as well. I wouldn't try solid food right away though, maybe start with beef or chicken broth, clear liquids, and when you can keep that stuff down, start of solid food.
                            Hugs,

hdsluckygirl
                            hdsluckygirl@gmail.com

Comment

• Warm prune juice is a favorite for constipation

Magnesium Citrate Solution (sold over the counter at your local pharmacy) I would get a few bottles. This is a powerful laxative......drink the whole bottle and chase with water. Stay close to the toilet.

Walking and sipping on water all day long helps keep the plumbing moving. Fiber is good.....Protein is also needed, eat sliced roast beef as its easy.

If you vomit, you lose all your nutrition. When I was vomiting, I had to force myself to eat.(Chicken soup) Its almost impossible to maintain your increased nutritional needs after any major surgery, that’s why I say this. Nutrients are extremely important right now, along with the constipation battles that happen on opoids. I was also on Oxy and it didn’t cut the mustard for pain and was switched to Percoset. Percoset is Oxy with tylenol.

Stay away from fatty foods.....they will kill you right now. No dairy and no cheese......

Ensure drinks are also good to have around.....Yogurt is good food.......Yogurt is excellent.

Hot showers help.....

2-4 inches of latex foam topper for the bed helps with sleeping.....

I know this is an absolutely dreadful time.....many of us were there. I was basically in a survival mode where everything is about surviving. Every minute I was trying to get somewhat comfortable.....even if its for a minute.

Hang in there.....and no falling!

Keep notes on everything. Meds, Food, BM’s, walking, sleeping etc....

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

• Oh, Fifa-

what a mixed bag! I'd agree that you were released too early & PT was not a gradual process thing. I bet it was your ins company. Do you know, yet, if you'll be able to get in-home health care & PT?

If you're super constipated & need to clear out EVERYTHING . . . My husband's dr gave him a homemade cocktail: 1 bottle of magnesium citrate ( clear, flavored, found in stores near constipation stuff) + 1T mineral oil + 2T milk of magnesia. Actually, you may want to cut the recipe in half.

I'm so sorry to hear your transition from the hospital was so rough! I wasn't doing anything for myself (8 days), til I got to rehab. I didn't turn on the. iPad til then & it was very uncomfortable to hold.

It sounds like you need a ton of rest & little, frequent walks with a walker. Do your best to ignore the little things at home.

Did you receive my voicemail today? My daughter was going to take me to visit you today.

Dry mouth is horrible! Sometimes I trip over my own words! Rehab dr prescribed biotene gel. It helps a little tiny bit. I think it can be purchased over the counter.

Good news about your dad!!!

Take care, my friend. Sending prayers your way.
                                Peg
                                61 yrs old
                                75 degree lumbar curve with thoracic kyphosis
                                T3 - S1 surgery with Dr. Buchowski in St. Louis, on 10/27/14
                                Working on healing in Columbus, Ohio!

Comment

Working...
                                X