Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peggy's Scoliosis Surgery: the journey begins on 10/27!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peggy,
    So good to hear from you and that you are on the mend. Keep up the good work. How long will yu be in rehab?

Tamena
    Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

Thank you...

Peggy,
      Thank you so much for the little tidbits, especially since it is all so fresh on your mind. I am still in the picking a surgery date stage, and it helps to follow all of these new surgeries =) Big soft hugs...
      Hugs,

hdsluckygirl
      hdsluckygirl@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by tae_tap View Post
        This is the recipe that Ed gave me. I did change the whey protein to soy because I don't like the taste of Whey. And I also used almond milk instead of soymilk. This was my meals for a couple weeks because I did not feel like food was my friend.

In a blender;
        Whey protein powder a few ounces
        1 banana
        1 yogurt
        10 blueberries
        5 strawberries
        10 raspberries
        20 almonds
        A few ounces of soymilk to lighten

Tamena
        Thanks, Tamena! When you say food wasn't your friend, was that a constipation thing, upset stomach... ??? Just wanting to be prepared. I've heard several people here talk about weight loss afterward. Just wondering what your experience was.

Hugs to you!!
        Fifa

Comment

Originally posted by PeggyS View Post
          My surgery was on 10/27, so I'm very fresh! Fifa will go in this Monday. Our dates are so close and we have the same doctor, this has made me feel close to her. Also, Tamena will be in St. Louis shortly
          for more revisions.
          Here are some tips/observations I'd like to share:
          iPad was only used by my daughter to post updates & read your responses to me. I didn't open it for myself until I was admitted to rehab! Shocking, considering how much time I spent on it, prior to surgery. I knew y'all were out their cheering me on, though! You can't sit up in bed at more than 45*, so that's the main reason. Sitting in a chair would literally bring me to tears within 15 minutes. In fact I had a sobbing melt-down when I was left in a wheelchair after spine X-rays.

Hair tie: for pain button, plus have someone remind you to use the button.
          Velcro: to connect cell phone & 3' cord
          Playlists on phone: Contemporary Christian music calmed me. ( my hubby forgot to bring in my phone the first night. The next morning I was required to sit in a chair for an hour. My nurse got her phone & put it on a Christian station & I was SO grateful!
          Wake-up test: no recall
          No direct line
          Pain: tightness, an elephant still sits across my hips when I'm due for meds. Back of thighs was the most painful ex: sitting on toilet or in chair. Incision stayed numb, butt, too!
          Modesty? Out the door
          Bra? Don't bother
          Log roll: hard to practice b/c it's difficult to understand just how weak you'll be!
          In-patient rehab for out of state patients: necessary. I couldn't have faced the 400 miles we'd need to drive.
          Flowers: wait til released from hospital - followed that advice on board & it was 'right on'
          Teeny, tiny, itty-bitty bits of improvements: if you go in expecting that, you won't be disappointed. Most of the staff was really on top of telling me what they were noticing.
          Hallucinations: the room had many different themes; only a few were scary.
          I had 2 scary night nurses & I wished my husband was there.
          Lip gloss: if you don't have any, you might get slathered with Vaseline!

Surgery stats: 2 long rods & 34 screws. 22" incision. 10.5 hr surgery with frequent updates from nurse for family. No bone removed from illiac crest. BMP was used with my commitment to $15000 for 2 kits instead of 6. My guess is BJH will absorb the cost.
          Only 2 units of blood with an additional unit around day 3.

Dr. B's nurse Megan passed on a message from you, Fifa, AND I remembered! Thank you!
          More later!
          I need to change my signature!

Oh, Peggy - so nice to hear from you! I'm happy you are on the other side!

I have too many questions to ask you. LOL

How were the night nurses scary? Did you just not feel like using the iPad? Was it okay having a roommate?? How is your pain control and (sorry) constipation? I have tons of other questions, but that is enough for now. (HUGE SMILES AND GENTLE HUGS)

Yes, I've spoken to Dr. B's nurse Megan a couple of times since you went in plus we've e-mailed a couple of times. I keep thinking of things to ask her. LOL Because of HIPAA, she couldn't tell me anything specific, but I was asking her about you and told her to tell you that I was praying hard!

Your "being left in the wheelchair" reminded me of my first night postop from my tiny back surgery 27 years ago. They didn't put in a catheter then, and I had had more than one bag of IV fluids. Anyway, I couldn't get up to go because I was just out of surgery, so they rolled me (ROLLED ME) onto a bedpan and left me there. Nothing worse than being in pain and "helpless." I am so sorry you had to go through that!!

Hopefully, every day will be less pain and more mobility. You sure do sound strong and coherent - are you faking it??? LOL

Glad you are in inpatient rehab. My insurance probably won't pay for that.

Oh, and I'm so happy you didn't have to do the iliac crest graft! I've heard from lots of people that the pain of that is pretty awful...some say it is worse than the back pain.

I don't know whether you want a visitor or not or if you're up for it, so no pressure. We'll be up on Sunday night the 9th...three more days. We'll be in the hotel overnight then surgery bright and early on Monday. As far as I know, they are planning on booting me out on Saturday, so that would be five days after surgery. I'm a little scared about that - seems a little quick to me. We will try to make it home (two hour drive) Saturday. So, I'll miss Tamena's surgery but will be praying for her and for your continued recovery. You sound great!

Write when you can. I'll be checking in over the next couple of days. I'm ready. Life has become even more miserable since they made me stop taking ibuprofen weeks ago. I'm shot after about three hours of sitting. Tomorrow is my last day, then I'm going to try to relax and pack.

Take care. If you think of ANYTHING you need, either reply here or DM me - I'm happy to bring you anything you've forgotten or need!!!

Just breathe....you are SO STRONG!

Fifa

Comment

Glad you are doing well. Those first few weeks are rough. It will get better. Sitting is indeed hard at first. I still have trouble after 5 years . But it is better. Walking is important now. Are you using a walker. If so make sure it is the proper height so no leaning.
            T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
            C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
            T2--T10 fusion 2/11
            C 4-5 fusion 11/14
            Right scapulectomy 6/15
            Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
            To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
            Broken neck 9/28/2018
            Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
            Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
            Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
            Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
            Osteotomy

Comment

Peggy,
              So good to hear from you and that you are on the mend. Keep up the good work. How long will yu be in rehab?

Tamena
              Hi Tamena! I'll be in rehab until 11/17. That's tentative, unless I test out sooner or get to stay longer!

Peggy
              Peg
              61 yrs old
              75 degree lumbar curve with thoracic kyphosis
              T3 - S1 surgery with Dr. Buchowski in St. Louis, on 10/27/14
              Working on healing in Columbus, Ohio!

Comment

Originally posted by fifa View Post
                Oh, Peggy - so nice to hear from you! I'm happy you are on the other side!

I have too many questions to ask you. LOL

How were the night nurses scary? Did you just not feel like using the iPad? Was it okay having a roommate?? How is your pain control and (sorry) constipation? I have tons of other questions, but that is enough for now. (HUGE SMILES AND GENTLE HUGS)

Yes, I've spoken to Dr. B's nurse Megan a couple of times since you went in plus we've e-mailed a couple of times. I keep thinking of things to ask her. LOL Because of HIPAA, she couldn't tell me anything specific, but I was asking her about you and told her to tell you that I was praying hard!

Your "being left in the wheelchair" reminded me of my first night postop from my tiny back surgery 27 years ago. They didn't put in a catheter then, and I had had more than one bag of IV fluids. Anyway, I couldn't get up to go because I was just out of surgery, so they rolled me (ROLLED ME) onto a bedpan and left me there. Nothing worse than being in pain and "helpless." I am so sorry you had to go through that!!

Hopefully, every day will be less pain and more mobility. You sure do sound strong and coherent - are you faking it??? LOL

Glad you are in inpatient rehab. My insurance probably won't pay for that.

Oh, and I'm so happy you didn't have to do the iliac crest graft! I've heard from lots of people that the pain of that is pretty awful...some say it is worse than the back pain.

I don't know whether you want a visitor or not or if you're up for it, so no pressure. We'll be up on Sunday night the 9th...three more days. We'll be in the hotel overnight then surgery bright and early on Monday. As far as I know, they are planning on booting me out on Saturday, so that would be five days after surgery. I'm a little scared about that - seems a little quick to me. We will try to make it home (two hour drive) Saturday. So, I'll miss Tamena's surgery but will be praying for her and for your continued recovery. You sound great!

Write when you can. I'll be checking in over the next couple of days. I'm ready. Life has become even more miserable since they made me stop taking ibuprofen weeks ago. I'm shot after about three hours of sitting. Tomorrow is my last day, then I'm going to try to relax and pack.

Take care. If you think of ANYTHING you need, either reply here or DM me - I'm happy to bring you anything you've forgotten or need!!!

Just breathe....you are SO STRONG!

Fifa
                Hi Fifa!
                Good questions! 2 scary night nurses: my reality was messed up, but these ladies were tall & husky & said as little as possible. It was odd how silent & unhappy faced, they both were. I think that was what make me feel vulnerable. My totally unscientific observation was that many of the 7pm - 7am were there for the paycheck without having an interest in their career. One young nurse was the exception, as she loves & will only work the night shift. I had a new-to-the-hospital night nurse for 3 nights, who probably won't make it. She was friendly, but tired & complaining b/c she was trying to keep her part-time, daytime nursing home job. Overall, the nurses & techs weren't a'team', like I'm experiencing in rehab.
                I just wasn't interested in the iPad. Basically, it is too hard hold & try to keep my neck a bit elevated. I couldn't sit, easily & sitting straight up in bed breaks the restrictions. Mostly, I used my phone to text or read.
                Nurse Megan, had told me the clear diet for a day would help not having food left in my gut when my intestines went to sleep. I was so scared about constipation, I did a bowel prep, on my on my own! That wasn't a good idea b/c there needs to be a little something in the intestines to help get things started. I've needed a suppository 3 times.
                Weight loss/gain. I was counting on at least a 10# loss & had a 10# fluid gain, instead! Yikes! Glad I packed some 'fat' clothes!
                I expected swelling,after surgery & warned my husband & daughter they might be shocked. Well, Jenn was shocked when she leaned over the WRONG woman to give 'me' a kiss in recovery! Ha, ha!
                Fifa, I would love to have a visit from you on Sunday, if you're up to it!
                Peg Stevens (roomie is also named Peggy) rm 305 rehabilitation institute of St. Louis. I've tried to get my bearings & it's near the hospital (I think towards the middle of campus)& NOT near CPAP.
                Thank you for your prayers and for everyone's prayers! I'm so grateful!
                Peg
                61 yrs old

Comment

Hi Peggy, glad you are doing well. I also found out the quicker you get to rehab the better the care. I was not where you are but I found rehab much better than the hospital. They helped more and understood what was needed better. I went home about a week quicker than was predicted. I think there are some guidelines that are followed. Keep up the walking as it will help with the constpation.
                  T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                  C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                  T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                  C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                  Right scapulectomy 6/15
                  Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
                  To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
                  Broken neck 9/28/2018
                  Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
                  Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
                  Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
                  Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
                  Osteotomy

Comment

Originally posted by PeggyS View Post
                    Hi Fifa!
                    Good questions! 2 scary night nurses: my reality was messed up, but these ladies were tall & husky & said as little as possible. It was odd how silent & unhappy faced, they both were. I think that was what make me feel vulnerable. My totally unscientific observation was that many of the 7pm - 7am were there for the paycheck without having an interest in their career. One young nurse was the exception, as she loves & will only work the night shift. I had a new-to-the-hospital night nurse for 3 nights, who probably won't make it. She was friendly, but tired & complaining b/c she was trying to keep her part-time, daytime nursing home job. Overall, the nurses & techs weren't a'team', like I'm experiencing in rehab.
                    I just wasn't interested in the iPad. Basically, it is too hard hold & try to keep my neck a bit elevated. I couldn't sit, easily & sitting straight up in bed breaks the restrictions. Mostly, I used my phone to text or read.
                    Nurse Megan, had told me the clear diet for a day would help not having food left in my gut when my intestines went to sleep. I was so scared about constipation, I did a bowel prep, on my on my own! That wasn't a good idea b/c there needs to be a little something in the intestines to help get things started. I've needed a suppository 3 times.
                    Weight loss/gain. I was counting on at least a 10# loss & had a 10# fluid gain, instead! Yikes! Glad I packed some 'fat' clothes!
                    I expected swelling,after surgery & warned my husband & daughter they might be shocked. Well, Jenn was shocked when she leaned over the WRONG woman to give 'me' a kiss in recovery! Ha, ha!
                    Peg Stevens (roomie is also named Peggy) rm 305 rehabilitation institute of St. Louis. I've tried to get my bearings & it's near the hospital (I think towards the middle of campus)& NOT near CPAP.
                    Hi, Peggy!

It sounds like you are doing great and thank you for answering my questions! I sent you and Tamena a DM. I'm heading over to update my thread - my dad fell yesterday and things are kind of messy here right now, but I'll put that in my own thread. When it rains, it pours.

Thinking of you today and praying for you and Tamena. We'll be up tomorrow night probably around 8:00 or 9:00 p.m. Wanted to come before then, but dad's fall has put a bit of a kink in plans right now.

Much love and hugs to you! See you soon... I hope! (smiley)
                    Fifa

Comment

• Originally posted by PeggyS View Post
                      Hi Fifa!
                      Oh, shoot, Peggy - forgot to thank you for talking about your own "bowel prep." We were going to do the same thing here...I had planned to start a laxative and some other things. Don't think we'll be doing that now, or at least not as much as I had planned. That was great information and I appreciate it!! Oh, and I laughed out loud at your daughter starting to give a random woman a kiss. How funny!!! LOL

Take care - Fifa

Comment

• Peg

You sound pretty good......I just wanted to say congratulations, you did it!

Hang in there, it gets better....

Ed
                        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

• Peggy,

You are right about a few of the night nurses. I too had a couple that seemed annoyed when I would ask for help log rolling as if I should stay in one position. My husband actually had to teach one how to do it which I found annoying because that is basic nursing.

I think my main disappointment in the hospital was the PT department. I was in Columbia at Boone for my first surgery and PT was amazing coming in twice a day. At Barnes I was lucky if I saw them once. In fact I wasn't even walked in the hallway till the day I was released. At Boone I was walking down the hall on day two.

You sound like you are coming along quite well!

Tamena
                          Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

• I was pretty miserable through Day 5. I was counting on Day 3 as a 'turning' point, since I'd read about that on the forum. I even asked my daughter to post a question about Day 3. Something like . . . Does surgery count as Day 1? I was SO focused on Day 3. She said she asked & read replies to me. Surgery day does not count as Day 1. I don't know if she really asked that question or made up some good answers! Now, that I've written this down, it seems so trivial! Silly, me!
                            Peg
                            61 yrs old

Comment

• Thinking of you....

Just been thinking and praying for a non eventful recovery. Gentle hugs...
                              Hugs,

hdsluckygirl
                              hdsluckygirl@gmail.com

Comment

• Your surgery.

Praying all goes well!
                                Tamena
                                Hi Tamena!

It looks like we'll just miss each other in St Louis. We're starting home on Tuesday, 11/18. I'm sending you prayers. I hope it's smooth sailing all the way!
                                Fondly, Peggy
                                Peg
                                61 yrs old

Comment

Working...
                                X