Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peggy's Scoliosis Surgery: the journey begins on 10/27!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peg, are you at the hotel? I will be down at the hotel tomorrow early afternoon. How are you feeling.

Tamena
    Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

• Originally posted by tae_tap View Post
      Peg, are you at the hotel? I will be down at the hotel tomorrow early afternoon. How are you feeling.

Tamena
      I'm sorry I'll miss you Tamena. Goodness, 3 of us with surgeries 2 weeks apart & none of us could meet!

Best wishes to you!
      Peg
      61 yrs old
      75 degree lumbar curve with thoracic kyphosis
      T3 - S1 surgery with Dr. Buchowski in St. Louis, on 10/27/14
      Working on healing in Columbus, Ohio!

Comment

• Home, sweet home!

I'm tucked into my own bed & ready for a snooze! We drove 200 miles yesterday & 200 today. It was difficult to get out and walk because it's so darn cold! I had to make a 'wind adjustment' for my walker! So thankful the trip was uneventful!
        Peg
        61 yrs old

Comment

• Originally posted by PeggyS View Post
          I'm tucked into my own bed & ready for a snooze! We drove 200 miles yesterday & 200 today. It was difficult to get out and walk because it's so darn cold! I had to make a 'wind adjustment' for my walker! So thankful the trip was uneventful!
          Soft hugs.... so glad to hear you had an uneventful trip home =) LOL love the "wind adjustment" comment. Rest and thanks for keeping us posted.
          Hugs,

hdsluckygirl
          hdsluckygirl@gmail.com

Comment

• Hi Peggy,

It must feel so nice to be in your own bed! Very glad you had a safe trip. I had my surgery last January and we had blizzard after blizzard so I would set a timer and walk back and forth in my house. Spent many weeks walking in the house and got used to it. Then I downloaded a free pedometer for my phone which I still use. Maybe that would be helpful for you someday. In the meantime stay cozy and walk wherever works and when you feel up to it!

-spring
            Surgery Jan 6, 2014 at 38 yrs
            Posterior Fusion T10-L4, osteotomy 1 lev.
            Pre op-Thoracolumbar Curve-50 degrees

Comment

• Peggy,
              There is nothing better than being home. During my first several weeks at home, I was confined to walking boring laps in our small house due to snow and ice. Best of luck with up your recovery.
              Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
              Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
              70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
              Rib Hump-GONE!
              Age-60 at the time of surgery
              Now 66
              Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
              Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
              Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
              Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
              tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
              http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

• Welcome home!
                Susan
                Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
                2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
                2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
                2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
                2018: Removal L4,5 screw
                2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

• We come home. I had winter surgery and it is hard. Sometimes a local park district or school will have a tract.
                  T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                  C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                  T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                  C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                  Right scapulectomy 6/15
                  Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
                  To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
                  Broken neck 9/28/2018
                  Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
                  Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
                  Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
                  Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
                  Osteotomy

Comment

• If you want to walk....and it is cold or rainy outside, go to the mall EARLY in the morning. Many malls open for walking before the stores open. Few people there, benches for resting, almost all of the retail stores are closed (so you will not be tempted to buy anything), and the coffee place is usually open for a treat!
                    Susan
                    Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
                    2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
                    2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
                    2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
                    2018: Removal L4,5 screw
                    2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

• Yes, I see mall walking in my future! Our church has a large rectangular layout - I plan to use it, too.

I feel like the trip home has taken a lot out of me + some added tummy troubles. I spent most of the day sleeping. Tomorrow I'll make an effort to walk a circular path through our house several times. All of you have probably been through 'giving yourself permission to rest & heal'. That's kind of my mantra right now!
                      Peg
                      61 yrs old

Comment

• Official Height

I went to my family dr for a follow-up. It's the first time I've been measured . . . I'm 5'5.5" - I'm thrilled! I used to be 5'8" and I was 5'3" prior to surgery.
                        I also came home with a prescription for Lactulose. I did a search and I know some of you have been on that. I SURE hope it helps!
                        Peg
                        61 yrs old

Comment

• That's great news! I'd be thrilled too! I've often wondered if it makes a difference in the amount of height you gain if your primary curve is lumbar or thoracic. Hope you are feeling a little better.
                          Before 39* lumbar at age 18, progressed to 74* lumbar and 22* thoracic age 55
                          ALIF Jan 13, 2015, PLIF Jan 15, 2015 with Dr William Stevens, Honor Health
                          Fused T-7 to S-1 with pelvic fixation

After 38* lumbar

Xrays
                          Before: http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...7&d=1414268930

After: http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...6&d=1424894360

Comment

• Peggy,
                            I hope you get relief. Isn't it nice to get back a few inches?
                            Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                            Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                            70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                            Rib Hump-GONE!
                            Age-60 at the time of surgery
                            Now 66
                            Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                            Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                            Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                            Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                            tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                            http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

• Update

Oh, boy . . . the board nailed to the butt has become a pain focal point! I'm trying the heating pad set on low & that seems to help.

I'm about 6.5 weeks post-op. I've cut my hydrocodone to 3 pills per 24hrs & muscle relaxers to 1-2 per day. Still having bathroom problems - ugh!

I'm absolutely loving the response from friends about my straight back & new height! We've been blessed with so many meals, I'm starting to freeze portions.

My family dr ordered in home PT & that began this week. I have lots of bad habits from compensating. My head juts forward & I'm worried about an increased hump above T3. Plus, I'm pigeon-toed on the right foot! I also found out I'm twisting when I look back at someone talking. I need to put a stop to that right away!

Again, I'm very thankful for everyone's support!
                              Peg
                              61 yrs old

Comment

• Peggy be real careful with the PT. Most ortho doctors will not allow it this early and few PT's understand the long fusions. A person with these long fusions just can't be treated the same as a single level fusion. Just be careful.
                                T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                                C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                                T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                                C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                                Right scapulectomy 6/15
                                Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
                                To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
                                Broken neck 9/28/2018
                                Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
                                Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
                                Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
                                Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
                                Osteotomy

Comment

Working...
                                X