Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peggy's Scoliosis Surgery: the journey begins on 10/27!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still praying, Jenn - please tell Peggy she's in my thoughts and prayers. Hope you and your dad are doing well.

Fifa

Comment

Jenn, how are you doing? I really think that the surgery is frequently more difficult for the family. Tell Peggy that I am thinking of her and wishing her healing and pain relief.

Pain control is so difficult as every person is different. Sometimes they give too much analgesic and other times not enough.

Praying for your family, Susan
      Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
      2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
      2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
      2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
      2018: Removal L4,5 screw
      2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Jenn,
        I am usually looking at the revision posts. So I am catching up on your surgery. You sound like you're doing very good for a 10.5 hour surgery. You will feel better every day. Make sure these nurses don't cheat you on pain meds. Most the nurses are great there. I had my surgery there with Dr. Lenke. But you must control your pain, as it helps in the beginning with the healing process.
        I am putting you on my prayer list. How great this is going to be, after a few months of recovery. I'm excited for you. Warm feelings coming your way! Linda
        Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
        Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
        This started adult onset scoliosis
        July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
        Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
        Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
        May 30th 2013 revision
        May 8th cervicle surgery 2016
        May 31st Dr. Gupta revision 2017

Comment

Pain control can be difficult but it does get better. I went to rehab on the 5th day and it was better managed there. My surgeon used a fentanyl patch at that point. And I had another drug for breakthrough pain. I think moving around in rehab also helped. I hole things are getting better for her now.
          T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
          C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
          T2--T10 fusion 2/11
          C 4-5 fusion 11/14
          Right scapulectomy 6/15
          Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
          To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
          Broken neck 9/28/2018
          Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
          Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
          Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
          Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
          Osteotomy

Comment

Hi, Jenn and Peggy -

Please know that I'm still praying for you! Hope you can update us! How is life on the other side???? (big smiles - big hugs)

Fifa

Comment

Looking forward to an update. Hope that all is OK. Sending healing thoughts.
              Susan
              Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection

Comment

Whew

My daughter read all of your supportive comments & prayers on the day after surgery. I'll catch up later, just wanted to say, "I'm on the other side!" Jumped through all the rehab hoops& I'm heading there this afternoon! It'll be easier to follow through on my iPad
                Peg
                61 yrs old
                75 degree lumbar curve with thoracic kyphosis
                T3 - S1 surgery with Dr. Buchowski in St. Louis, on 10/27/14
                Working on healing in Columbus, Ohio!

Comment

Peggy, welcome to the rest of your life! So glad that you are doing well.

Three thoughts for early rehab and healing:

1- control pain; keep track of your meds in a notebook so that you know what you are taking and how much. Most important is that you take enough meds so that you are not in pain at home.

2- control constipation; write down output; take Colace, and other meds to "keep it coming"; if no poo in 2 days, get serious with suppositories or other options.

3- stay active; walking, mild stretching, get outside and smell the flowers.

Susan
                  Last edited by susancook; 11-04-2014, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PeggyS View Post
                    My daughter read all of your supportive comments & prayers on the day after surgery. I'll catch up later, just wanted to say, "I'm on the other side!" Jumped through all the rehab hoops& I'm heading there this afternoon! It'll be easier to follow through on my iPad
                    Oh, thank GOD! I was really worried about you and praying hard! Glad you're on the other side. Can't wait to hear from you.

Gentle hugs!
                    Fifa

Comment

Great advice from Susan.

Walking really helps.

You sound great! Keep up the good work.
                      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Peggy,

Welcome to the other side! You have hit bottom and are climbing you way back to the top. It is going to be a battle, but remember the pain prior to surgery and keep telling your self that it is going to get better. Lots and lots of short walks. That is the most important key. The more you move, the more it circulates the blood and helps you heal. If you can't eat start Ed's smoothies. They were the biggest help with my diet. I felt like I could suck those down throughout the day, but I could get in the mood to eat a meal.

Still praying!
                        Tamena
                        Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

Originally posted by tae_tap View Post
                          Peggy,

Welcome to the other side! You have hit bottom and are climbing you way back to the top. It is going to be a battle, but remember the pain prior to surgery and keep telling your self that it is going to get better. Lots and lots of short walks. That is the most important key. The more you move, the more it circulates the blood and helps you heal. If you can't eat start Ed's smoothies. They were the biggest help with my diet. I felt like I could suck those down throughout the day, but I could get in the mood to eat a meal.

Still praying!
                          Tamena
                          Hi, Tamena -

What are Ed's smoothies? (smiley) Also, is there a problem eating after surgery? I'm guessing maybe the drugs take away the appetite or something...

Thanks! Hugs to you!
                          Fifa

Comment

Originally posted by fifa View Post
                            Hi, Tamena -

What are Ed's smoothies? (smiley) Also, is there a problem eating after surgery? I'm guessing maybe the drugs take away the appetite or something...

Thanks! Hugs to you!
                            Fifa
                            This is the recipe that Ed gave me. I did change the whey protein to soy because I don't like the taste of Whey. And I also used almond milk instead of soymilk. This was my meals for a couple weeks because I did not feel like food was my friend.

In a blender;
                            Whey protein powder a few ounces
                            1 banana
                            1 yogurt
                            10 blueberries
                            5 strawberries
                            10 raspberries
                            20 almonds
                            A few ounces of soymilk to lighten

Tamena
                            Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

Observations from the immediate 'other side'

My surgery was on 10/27, so I'm very fresh! Fifa will go in this Monday. Our dates are so close and we have the same doctor, this has made me feel close to her. Also, Tamena will be in St. Louis shortly
                              for more revisions.
                              Here are some tips/observations I'd like to share:
                              iPad was only used by my daughter to post updates & read your responses to me. I didn't open it for myself until I was admitted to rehab! Shocking, considering how much time I spent on it, prior to surgery. I knew y'all were out their cheering me on, though! You can't sit up in bed at more than 45*, so that's the main reason. Sitting in a chair would literally bring me to tears within 15 minutes. In fact I had a sobbing melt-down when I was left in a wheelchair after spine X-rays.

Hair tie: for pain button, plus have someone remind you to use the button.
                              Velcro: to connect cell phone & 3' cord
                              Playlists on phone: Contemporary Christian music calmed me. ( my hubby forgot to bring in my phone the first night. The next morning I was required to sit in a chair for an hour. My nurse got her phone & put it on a Christian station & I was SO grateful!
                              Wake-up test: no recall
                              No direct line
                              Pain: tightness, an elephant still sits across my hips when I'm due for meds. Back of thighs was the most painful ex: sitting on toilet or in chair. Incision stayed numb, butt, too!
                              Modesty? Out the door
                              Bra? Don't bother
                              Log roll: hard to practice b/c it's difficult to understand just how weak you'll be!
                              In-patient rehab for out of state patients: necessary. I couldn't have faced the 400 miles we'd need to drive.
                              Flowers: wait til released from hospital - followed that advice on board & it was 'right on'
                              Teeny, tiny, itty-bitty bits of improvements: if you go in expecting that, you won't be disappointed. Most of the staff was really on top of telling me what they were noticing.
                              Hallucinations: the room had many different themes; only a few were scary.
                              I had 2 scary night nurses & I wished my husband was there.
                              Lip gloss: if you don't have any, you might get slathered with Vaseline!

Surgery stats: 2 long rods & 34 screws. 22" incision. 10.5 hr surgery with frequent updates from nurse for family. No bone removed from illiac crest. BMP was used with my commitment to $15000 for 2 kits instead of 6. My guess is BJH will absorb the cost.
                              Only 2 units of blood with an additional unit around day 3.

Dr. B's nurse Megan passed on a message from you, Fifa, AND I remembered! Thank you!
                              More later!
                              I need to change my signature!
                              Last edited by PeggyS; 11-06-2014, 07:45 PM.
                              Peg
                              61 yrs old

Comment

Our apartment

The apartment was nice, but not user friendly for surgical patients or handicapped spouses. Low contemporary family rm furniture, low standard toilets, tall beds. We asked for 1 upholstered straight back chair with arms. No response from Corporation. I need to let the concierge at BJH know.
                                Peg
                                61 yrs old

Comment

Working...
                                X